[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Apr 27, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #2,266 of 3,610
Dammit I feel like a rockstar! (two minutes of fame you know :wink: )
Ok, @mono-type convinced me with the "for science" bit. Smart :D

Here's the link at the bottom - let me know if/how it works.
INSTRUCTIONS:

(Note: Basically Pulsar will "impersonate" NetEase (one of them whitelisted apps) so it will be allowed to install. Both cannot coexist)

1 - Ensure NetEase Music is not installed in your M6 (anyway it should not install over it as it's a different thing)
2 - Upload the downloaded APK to your M6 SD Card, install from there.
3 - It will appear in your settings as Pulsar (so you can uninstall if needed) BUT it will appear with the NetEase icon (red and white iirc) in your M6 launcher
4- That's all!

Do I need to make a disclaimer about how this is offered with no guarantees etc? Oh, just did! :D
Well it shouldn't bust anything (we installed it at least in 3 different M6s and the app is lovely and light) but still, Godspeed!

LINK (they'll erase it in two weeks!)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fa5dmm0nqlyw1v7/netease-pulsar[1].apk

Just downloaded directly on to M6 using Google within ES File Explorer and it installed in seconds. A breath of fresh air. This opens up the M6 to reality. I bow to science and empirical reality. Am listening now. Sounds good. Holy macaroni Batman, this is fun.

Apr 27, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #2,267 of 3,610
Just downloaded directly on to M6 using Google within ES File Explorer and it installed in seconds. A breath of fresh air. This opens up the M6 to reality. I bow to science and empirical reality. Am listening now. Sounds good. Holy macaroni Batman, this is fun.

Lol Steve glad it worked for you, yeah it's very light. And, exactly, empirical reality: as it's quite obvious, it's just a matter of adapting to the tool; the hardware is a little more limited? Well, lighter apps. Fortunately there are tons of them out there.

PS: The Batman (and Robin) reference is spot on, I just bought a comic of his, 80th anniversary of the big bat :D

Apr 27, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #2,268 of 3,610
So you guys l Iike Pulsar better than Fiio music I take it. I'm still hoping for uapp and hiby :wink: I tried it on my s10e but it's just not powerful enough to run it.

Damn molasses phones.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #2,269 of 3,610
So you guys l Iike Pulsar better than Fiio music I take it. I'm still hoping for uapp and hiby :wink: I tried it on my s10e but it's just not powerful enough to run it.

Damn molasses phones.

Yeah, sad HiBy seems to be a no-go - and about UApp, well it's a paid app (it didn't even start in my test.. maybe I ruined it.. or it depends on Google Services.. or it's too big)

Wait they don't even run on a .. Samsung? S10E? Wow that's a lot then hehe.

Apr 27, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #2,270 of 3,610
Yeah, sad HiBy seems to be a no-go - and about UApp, well it's a paid app (it didn't even start in my test.. maybe I ruined it.. or it depends on Google Services.. or it's too big)

Wait they don't even run on a .. Samsung? S10E? Wow that's a lot then hehe.

Lol ya I got a virus or something

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #2,271 of 3,610
I installed Pulsar and I like the interface, but nothing plays. Only silence and play counter doesn't move. Any ideas? Also, it looks like it will only play local music and nothing on the my network. Unless I've missed something.

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #2,272 of 3,610
I installed Pulsar and I like the interface, but nothing plays. Only silence and play counter doesn't move. Any ideas? Also, it looks like it will only play local music and nothing on the my network. Unless I've missed something.

Did you scan the music in the SD Card? In the network you mean via DLNA? Here it's playing fine.. Did you uninstall NetEase first?

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #2,273 of 3,610
Thanks for writing.

Yes uninstalled NetEase first, but didn't reboot before installing Pulsar. Rebooted after installing Pulsar. It installed, and see music files (FLAC only. Can't see DSD files) and acts like its working normally. Just won't play anything. Sits and does nothing. And yes, I did mean DLNA as well as SMB (?).

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #2,274 of 3,610
Did you scan the music in the SD Card? In the network you mean via DLNA? Here it's playing fine.. Did you uninstall NetEase first?
Thanks Pulsar is working great for me.

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #2,276 of 3,610
Just uninstalled, powered down, installed, and again powered down and restarted. Still not working. Is there another source for Pulsar that I could try? M6 is firmware 1.0.1 :triportsad:

Hi, not sure what can be happening.. You seem to have followed all the right steps (uninstall netease, install from the SD card). The odd thing is that it works, but has no sound right? Yeah that's my FW, the latest.
Nope, no other source, remember this is totally unofficial :)

Very odd.. Does FiiO Music work fine in your M6?

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #2,277 of 3,610
Fiio music works as well as could be expected, I guess. The version that came with it wouldn't play DSD files over my network at the right speed (played at something like 100x). Latest version won't play DSD at all (silence) over the network. Everything else on the network plays fine. Files on SD card play fine (DSD included).

Honestly at times, the M6 seems to behave erratically. Only thing that seems to work 100% is Tidal, but I really have no interest in keeping it past my trial sub. I hoping for a new firmware from Fiio. But even with that, I think the M6 is not what I was hoping for.

It may not matter anyway, if Pulsar only works with local storage. If I'm going to use SD cards, then I'll probably never be happy with anything other than my original X3. Other than the fact it maps multichannel FLAC and DSD wrong, it's still my favorite player of all time. And while the sound quality isn't up there, for any 16/44.1 files, my favorite is still Roxbox on Sandisk Fuze. And with me using DLNA server more and more, and Android phone with Neutron seems to work.

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #2,278 of 3,610
Just to add i feel the sound from playing on pulsar seems a bit grainy to me? anyone else?

Apr 27, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #2,279 of 3,610
Fiio music works as well as could be expected, I guess. The version that came with it wouldn't play DSD files over my network at the right speed (played at something like 100x). Latest version won't play DSD at all (silence) over the network. Everything else on the network plays fine. Files on SD card play fine (DSD included).

Honestly at times, the M6 seems to behave erratically. Only thing that seems to work 100% is Tidal, but I really have no interest in keeping it past my trial sub. I hoping for a new firmware from Fiio. But even with that, I think the M6 is not what I was hoping for.

It may not matter anyway, if Pulsar only works with local storage. If I'm going to use SD cards, then I'll probably never be happy with anything other than my original X3. Other than the fact it maps multichannel FLAC and DSD wrong, it's still my favorite player of all time. And while the sound quality isn't up there, for any 16/44.1 files, my favorite is still Roxbox on Sandisk Fuze. And with me using DLNA server more and more, and Android phone with Neutron seems to work.

Oh yeah I get what you say. I'm very interested in local network (NAS) playback too. I store all my files there and I use the player mostly at home (on the road, yeah mostly spotify).
Neutron seems great for that, UAPP too if I recall correctly. I do prefer SMB (samba) over DLNA though. I had some issues with DLNA (maybe it's just me) but SMB is great. SambaPlayer is a good one there. VLC may do the job too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back