[FiiO M3K] Probably the Most Cost-Effective Hi-Res Music Player, Discrete HiFi DAC Chip, Supports up to 384K/32B
Sep 5, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #481 of 636
Anyone noticing that they have shorter run times with rockbox compared to stock firmware?

Awesome. No clicks, tags are ok, many themes. As you can see I didn't even notice the voice recorder in stock firmware, but I see no problem here. If you need voice recording just reboot the device from rockbox to fiio player. It is there. Oops, I almost forgot - many thanks.

seeing that other versions of rockbox for other players have voice recording and even fm recording, I assumed that XVortex maybe just forgot to add it or something.

Don't forget to donate to his paypal :jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #482 of 636
Anyone noticing that they have shorter run times with rockbox compared to stock firmware?

seeing that other versions of rockbox for other players have voice recording and even fm recording, I assumed that XVortex maybe just forgot to add it or something.

Don't forget to donate to his paypal :jecklinsmile:
Battery life seems great so far, I reckon it'd hit 20+hrs on Rockbox, but time will tell.

And yes anyone who uses it should donate, even if only a small amount. The fact we now have a player we can accurately EQ without it completely wrecking the smoothness of the UI is awesome, especially given Fiio haven't bothered to fix the issue in official firmware.

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #483 of 636
Just checked and on rockbox I've got 11hrs 53mins running time from 50% battery, given in that time I've messed about a lot changing themes and generally just seeing what functions work if the % is accurate then we can expect outstanding battery life using rockbox.

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #484 of 636
Just checked and on rockbox I've got 11hrs 53mins running time from 50% battery, given in that time I've messed about a lot changing themes and generally just seeing what functions work if the % is accurate then we can expect outstanding battery life using rockbox.
do you have eq on and other sound settings enabled?

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #488 of 636
Tried to install all the themes at once, got a bootloop. Reinstalled rockbox firmware, now I install them 5-6 at a time, no problem. One reboots the device (rock it maybe ) , most work, but some are very hard to read. Xhibition and carbon are the best IMO.

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #490 of 636
Tried to install all the themes at once, got a bootloop. Reinstalled rockbox firmware, now I install them 5-6 at a time, no problem. One reboots the device (rock it maybe ) , most work, but some are very hard to read. Xhibition and carbon are the best IMO.
If you have problems with readability, you can always mix and match different "When Playing Screens", fonts and base themes. I mostly use Gnu Unifont because of japanese tracks

Sep 8, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #491 of 636
Just an update on battery. First charge I got just over 20hrs on Rockbox, second charge and I'm at over 13hrs playback on 50%. This is with bass +4, mostly listening to 16bit flac, some 24bit, volume usually around -22 using 16/32 ohm earbuds.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #492 of 636
First of all, thank you very much Vortex for getting Rockbox on this dap. I remember having it on my little sansa and it was such a significant all around update for the player. Im not experiencing too many major issues, though I am having trouble saving EQ profiles. When I try, I am always prompted with "Failed" trying to save(holding play button). Ive tried renaming the file and checking for spaces for no avail. I thought I would try to add an eqs folder on the sd card, however I noticed that my pc is no longer recognizing the player, so I cant access the sd card. Ive tried restarting and booting to Fiios interface and updated Rockbox in the tools menus but nothing has yet worked. There are also a few songs that wont play just .mp3 files that play just fine on every other player I own and in the Fiio interface and still no luck. Is anyone else experiencing this or have any insight as to troubleshoot? Ill update if I find something, thank you again!

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #493 of 636
I've been watching this thread, curious how rockbox is working out. I've been wanting to try it because the OEM firmware needs improving. I've just been concerned that if rockbox doesn't work out for me, can I easily switch back to the original firmware?

* I have some rockbox experience on my Sandisk Sansa Clip + player. But installing it onto that player seems to be different then installing it on the FiiO player.

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #494 of 636
I've been watching this thread, curious how rockbox is working out. I've been wanting to try it because the OEM firmware needs improving. I've just been concerned that if rockbox doesn't work out for me, can I easily switch back to the original firmware?

* I have some rockbox experience on my Sandisk Sansa Clip + player. But installing it onto that player seems to be different then installing it on the FiiO player.
You still have the original FiiO player in the rockbox firmware, you choose which one to boot on startup. You lose nothing.

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #495 of 636
You still have the original FiiO player in the rockbox firmware, you choose which one to boot on startup. You lose nothing.

I was thinking "What if I felt that I needed to remove rockbox and restore the player back to it's original state."

I downloaded two rockbox firmware somethings: M3K_v1.3.0.zip, M3K_v1.3_eef591e-190901.zip But I haven't had the chance to try installing them. I'm curious where does rockbox install too? Does it go to the Micro SD Card or some onboard memory inside the player it's self?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back