FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Dec 26, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #1,111 of 2,001
It's playing through folders, and it is the way it is supposed to act.

What it does is shuffle the tracks in the first folder, reaches the end, then automatically jumps to the next folder.

Adityeah - what you're wanting it to do, can only be done by tagged browsing I'm afraid.  As long as it recognises the tags, you could have some tagged "Indian" etc - and then just shuffle that Genre. But it all depends if your tags are actually being recognised.

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #1,112 of 2,001
@ Harpuia & tofumon

I have all my files ripped as MP3 @:320kbps and the songs show in the correct order.

When I create my mp3 files these are converted from FLAC. I then use a program (mp3tag) to re-tag these files and insert album art. So it might be worthwhile you trying to re-tag your mp3 files to see if this solves the problem.

You need to have the settings in mp3tag such that it labels the songs: 01, 02, 03.....09, 11, 12 rather than 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Hope this helps solve the problem.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,114 of 2,001
hello all, would the Fiio M3 be an upgrade from the X1?  or should I look over for a X3 second generation?
I like the M3 because it is tiny.  I primarly listen to music with my X1 with my old RE-262 from Hifiman

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #1,117 of 2,001
After some more usage, it seems like it has issues playing AAC files that are longer than a certain length. I tried playing a few 20 minute Yes tracks that I had in AAC and they refused to play, but 2112, which I had in mp3, didn't have any problems.

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,118 of 2,001
After some more usage, it seems like it has issues playing AAC files that are longer than a certain length. I tried playing a few 20 minute Yes tracks that I had in AAC and they refused to play, but 2112, which I had in mp3, didn't have any problems.
convert it to mp3

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #1,119 of 2,001
Edit: It appears that it actually does shuffle through sub folders but it does it in what I perceive to be an odd way, see below.

It does not, it will only play the songs in the folder you selected and not any from the sub folders as far as I can tell. I don't know about the X1. 

If this is how it behaves, I think it's really strange. I hope that is not the case with the X1. I think it might make more sense to buy the X1 then.

Also, since the problem I have is about different "libraries" (English/non-English music) I think it can be better managed through maintaining separate SD cards for them and slipping the desired one based on what I want to listen. In the iPod I used genre based tagging for the same. As folder music play doesn't work properly in shuffle mode I guess there is not any choice but this (unless someone confirms that X1 does not behave that way)

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #1,120 of 2,001
Quote:sophiebear
@ Harpuia & tofumon

I have all my files ripped as MP3 @:320kbps and the songs show in the correct order.

When I create my mp3 files these are converted from FLAC. I then use a program (mp3tag) to re-tag these files and insert album art. So it might be worthwhile you trying to re-tag your mp3 files to see if this solves the problem.

You need to have the settings in mp3tag such that it labels the songs: 01, 02, 03.....09, 11, 12 rather than 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Hope this helps solve the problem.

Hi sophiebear. Thanks for the tip. I originally thought that was the problem as well, but I manually went and re-labeled some songs that way and it still shows up incorrectly.
For example it will show track 01, then 10, then 02. I wonder if it's different since yours were converted down from FLACs. A lot of the mp3's I have are from Amazon mp3 downloads.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #1,121 of 2,001
@tofumon

I don't think that the problem is related to the source being downloaded in mp3 ? I checked and I have a number of albums downloaded directly from Amazon as mp3 and these show up correctly on my M3. However I would have used a tag editor on these albums to ensure the tracks are correctly labelled before loading on my SD card. My experience is that now all downloaded albums are correctly tagged when you initially download them.

When you say that you have "manually re-labelled", have you actually used a tag editing program (such as mp3tag) ? I don't think just going into Windows and re-naming will work. You will need to use a tagging program and to make sure the album shows up correctly in the tagging program listing. I have around 500 albums loaded in mp3 on my M3 and I have yet to see a single track out of order (though I haven't yet checked them all !)

I'm sure if you email Fiio directly with your problem tracks, they will be able to help you resolve the issue.

I know track mis-ordering is very frustrating - so I hope you managed to get it sorted. Good luck.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #1,122 of 2,001
  @tofumon

I don't think that the problem is related to the source being downloaded in mp3 ? I checked and I have a number of albums downloaded directly from Amazon as mp3 and these show up correctly on my M3. However I would have used a tag editor on these albums to ensure the tracks are correctly labelled before loading on my SD card. My experience is that now all downloaded albums are correctly tagged when you initially download them.

When you say that you have "manually re-labelled", have you actually used a tag editing program (such as mp3tag) ? I don't think just going into Windows and re-naming will work. You will need to use a tagging program and to make sure the album shows up correctly in the tagging program listing. I have around 500 albums loaded in mp3 on my M3 and I have yet to see a single track out of order (though I haven't yet checked them all !)

I'm sure if you email Fiio directly with your problem tracks, they will be able to help you resolve the issue.

I know track mis-ordering is very frustrating - so I hope you managed to get it sorted. Good luck.

Oh huh I didn't realize retagging it with mp3tag would actually be different than just using WIndows to re-name. I always assumed that the m3 was just ordering based on name since when I didn't have any numbers on it at all it just organized it alphabetically, disregarding track number tags. I guess I'll try that.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #1,123 of 2,001
Whoops....

"My experience is that now all downloaded albums are correctly tagged when you initially download them" should read My experience is that NOT all downloaded albums are correctly tagged when you initially download them.

Apologies for any confusion !

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,124 of 2,001
@sophiebear so I just downloaded and opened Mp3tag and looked at an mp3 version and a FLAC version of the same album. Which tags are you editing? I have the file names with the numbers on both of them, but the titles and track numbers are all there. Did you add the numbers in front of the track title as well?

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,125 of 2,001
I received my M3 and it looks and sounds good. I have a X1 that I use for hiking & biking.  Does anyone know if M3U is possible for the M3?  If the M3 gets M3U , I'll start using it for my hiking & biking.  Its to had to create playlist o the M3 itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back