FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Dec 24, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,096 of 2,001
Hi, I am new to this forum but have gone through a lot of your responses here. I still had a little doubt hence this post. Please bear with me!

My problem is that I have two sets of music, so to say (or two "libraries"). One is for the English music and the other for Hindi/Bollywood music (my native language). When I "Shuffle all", I do not want to play Hindi music as I listen to English music most of the time. I have been managing this somehow on my iPod classic by using the "skip while shuffling" tag for Hindi songs. I am planning to retire my iPod classic and buying M3 (or X1..not sure).

So, I will arrange these two libraries as two separate folders at the root and then play by folder. My doubt here is that if I do that, will I still be able to "shuffle" songs in the English music folder? Also, would this overcome the limitation of 4000 files?

Lastly, any suggestions for choosing between X1 and M3 would be highly appreciated. As I said, I own an iPod classic. My music collection hovers around 4500 tracks at the moment.

Thank you and here's wishing everyone a merry X'mas!

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #1,097 of 2,001
X1 has better resolution tomyears

I only have the X3ii and M3 right now buy have been so tempted looking at the Blue X1:smirk: this may not end well fir tge old wallet:confused: LOL

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all:santa_tone2:

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #1,099 of 2,001
To be honest, I see no need for an X1 since you have an X3II.

Except for that cool looking anodized blue:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Or maybe I can see my black NX2 strapped (stacking kit):stuck_out_tongue:

I was looking for the Idiit Emiticon here, I mean do I need yet another DAP rig☺️

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #1,100 of 2,001
So I just got mine for Christmas and so far its quite the nice little package. Ive never had an mp3 player or DAP before and I was wanting to get a Cowon M2 or i9+ until I saw this pop up and then the Cowon Plenue D has surfaced too, making my choices very hard but of course ill start off with the cheapest option and expand from there. The build is rather good though my power button got stuck in the unit and twisted a little but I was able to use my thumb to rotate it back in alignment and its now back in place :) I updated the firmware immediately and now the only music on it is from my microSD card. One great thing that I noticed right away was that it fully charged in about 1 hour instead of 2.5, maybe it had some charge when I got it but it was nice not to have to wait so long before playing with it. 

Its kinda annoying that when you go into the artist section and select 'all songs' that it goes straight to the now playing screen and you can't get a list of all the songs to pick from. Also on the same vain, when I browse though the SD card I can't go back to the folder from the now playing screen as every time I try to it just takes me to the main menu and I have to hit a few buttons to get back to where I was. Thankfully it remembers where you were and will already be selecting each folder so you just hit the enter/select button a few times. I have found the text to be easy to read and it scrolls through when the words are cut off which is nice. 

It took me awhile (maybe 30min) to add around 90 songs to the favourites playlist so I wish you could go edit playlist and then scroll through every song and select a box to add them all at once. I just worked out how to make the playlist shuffle though so yay :D

I really hope that they improve the playlists functionality and at least be able to make more then one as well as improving on the sorting of music slightly, then this will be an exceptional player. 

Right now, as it stands, Im very happy with the Fiio M3. Though I think that in order to make playlists I will be making new folders for my SD card and duplicating songs into those folders to make some temporary workarounds for playlists as I have a 64g card and only 15g worth of music. Does anyone have a better workaround?

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #1,101 of 2,001
how do u like the sound, up to your expectation? 

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #1,102 of 2,001
Hi, just wanted to give my 2cents after picking up my M3 from the postal office today. Only thing I did was charging it(took 90 mins to fully charged) and put one FLAC album for testing(Breaking the Fourth Wall by  Dream Theater). I have a pretty dull earphones in the AKG Q350 and the SQ is FANTASTIC. the soundstage is great, pretty neutral without the EQ on and just a great feel of a live show overall. The earbuds supplied are horrible and should not be used and the software absolutely need some work but this little thing is going to come with me everywhere regardless.

Pros: Price,Size,Build Quality,Sound Quality,Battery Life
Cons: Software(which can get better),buttons layout a bit wonky

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #1,103 of 2,001
Hello! I am also new to the forum and got an M3 DAP for Christmas. So far, after upgrading the Firmware, I think I'm getting a good grasp on this thing, but there is one minor annoyance. I figured that I could just plop all of my music into one folder like I do for everything else and it'll be organized for me. So, I put two albums in to start. The album viewer works fine, but some of the tracks are out of order. This doesn't happen on Foobar or any Android Music app I've tried. Is there any way to change how it views files?

Edit: Upon closer inspection, for both albums it displays the tenth song as the second one. All the other tracks are in order. Both of the albums are in MP3 320kbps

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #1,105 of 2,001
@Harpuia: Mine does that too, it's really annoying. I tried using the re-ordering utility that somebody posted awhile back but it still doesn't show up in the correct order on the player. It shows up in the correct order in folder view though. BUT when I put FLACs or AAC's on it they're ordered fine. WAV's are misordered though. So I've had to convert my mp3's to FLAC (I know, generally terrible idea) just to get them to show up in the correct order.

@adityeah: Not sure about the file size limit, but shuffing in the folder should work, presuming you keep all your English songs in just 1 folder. In folder view if you click on a song and change play mode to shuffle it should shuffle between everything in that folder, but I don't know if it would include any sub-folders in the shuffle.

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,106 of 2,001
  how do u like the sound, up to your expectation? 

It sounds great, I don't have much to compare it against but I like it. Ive never used EQ settings before so it'll be fun to try them out but ill probably have the eq off since I listen to a range of genres and usually play them in one playlist. 

I have no complaints about how it sounds, the lack of gapless playback isn't a issue like i thought it might be. If the UI is improved upon then this will be an incredible player. 

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #1,107 of 2,001

@adityeah: Not sure about the file size limit, but shuffing in the folder should work, presuming you keep all your English songs in just 1 folder. In folder view if you click on a song and change play mode to shuffle it should shuffle between everything in that folder, but I don't know if it would include any sub-folders in the shuffle.

Thanks tofumon for your reply. If the Fiio M3 cannot shuffle the folder with the subfolders within them,  it is going to be a deal-breaker for me! Are you absolutely certain? For example, I have a folder, say "\English" and it may have subfolders like "\English\Artist1" and "\English\Artist2" then shuffle, ideally should include the songs in the Artist1 and Artist2 folders as well. That does not happen? Does the X1 behave this way too? 

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #1,108 of 2,001

Thanks tofumon for your reply. If the Fiio M3 cannot shuffle the folder with the subfolders within them,  it is going to be a deal-breaker for me! Are you absolutely certain? For example, I have a folder, say "\English" and it may have subfolders like "\English\Artist1" and "\English\Artist2" then shuffle, ideally should include the songs in the Artist1 and Artist2 folders as well. That does not happen? Does the X1 behave this way too? 

Edit: It appears that it actually does shuffle through sub folders but it does it in what I perceive to be an odd way, see below.
It does not, it will only play the songs in the folder you selected and not any from the sub folders as far as I can tell. I don't know about the X1. 

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #1,109 of 2,001
Okay so I did some testing and it shuffling is really wonky. I made a folder called "test" with 3 songs in it, and inside the test folder I had "test2" and "test3" with 3 songs in each of them. I navigated to test via file browser and played one of the songs inside test. Turned it to shuffle mode and kept moving to next song. It only played songs inside test. But then it shuffled songs inside test2. Then it shuffled songs inside test3. But THEN it started playing songs from a different folder altogether. So it looks like the shuffling first shuffles only files inside the root folder, selects sub-folder by sub-folder, then jumps to other folders. It's really weird.

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #1,110 of 2,001
  Okay so I did some testing and it shuffling is really wonky. I made a folder called "test" with 3 songs in it, and inside the test folder I had "test2" and "test3" with 3 songs in each of them. I navigated to test via file browser and played one of the songs inside test. Turned it to shuffle mode and kept moving to next song. It only played songs inside test. But then it shuffled songs inside test2. Then it shuffled songs inside test3. But THEN it started playing songs from a different folder altogether. So it looks like the shuffling first shuffles only files inside the root folder, selects sub-folder by sub-folder, then jumps to other folders. It's really weird.

Wow thats really weird, Ive never gotten to the end of a folder so I hadn't noticed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back