[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Sep 16, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #5,537 of 5,703
Is the power socket earthed?
Hi Ichos!
to have a listening in the garden, I was using my 220v portable battery power generator, so I was not attached to the main home current socket, that I'm using now and I don't experiencing any buzz....so you are right, since, of course, portable generator does not have the earth!

PS I sold a few time ago DX320 to buy M17...
M17 is another league. and it's not a matter of power.
maybe it's something concerning the ROHM chip vs Sabre. In fact when I listened for the first time DX320 - coming from 220MAX - I was not convinced since I appreciated more the 220MAX sound: soundstage and in particular instruments positioning in the space, layering, separation and nuances too. All I mentioned is further enhanced trough M17, where it is already absolutely appreciable in battery mode.

Sep 16, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #5,538 of 5,703
My M17 went dead. But now lives again and is perfectly fine. If anyone else has this happen, this was Fiio response-

When you encounter the situation that the product cannot be turned on and cannot be charged, please follow the following methods: 1. Try to replace the charger and charging cable; 2. The battery of your device may be in an over-discharged state and requires a small current flow. It is recommended to connect the computer to charge the machine for more than two hours and then unplug the USB cable to see if it can be turned on; 3. If the above two steps still cannot be turned on, you can also try to let the machine stand for two to three days. Then recharge to see if it can be restored. Because sometimes the machine may be stuck in operation, it can be restored to normal after the battery is powered off.

I gave up and stopped trying to get it to work. A couple of days later it started charging like normal again. I understand this to be a rare occurrence but if it does happen don’t panic and follow those steps, making step one the last step as I didn’t need a new charging cable.

Sep 17, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #5,539 of 5,703
Hi Guys,
I'm a new happy owner of M17 DAP !

next week will arrive HD800s to pair with it.
In the meantime using it with IEM ibasso IT07 with a MMCX cable. I have the stock one (4,4mm) and a 4,4mm hand made customised.
When I connect M17 to the power supply I hear a background buzz that immediately disappear when I unplug the power supply. Trough the hand made cable I can also feel electrical pinch on my ear....
Is it normal ?!?
Is there any problem in one of the part of the chain ?
Definitely NOT normal. You may have a faulty unit.

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #5,540 of 5,703
I decided to pull the trigger on my first set of planars to pair with the M17. I've been reading up on many for awhile and kind of temporary lost interest. I jumped online tonight and for whatever reason and without delay..... purchased the Aeon 2 Noire on a whim. 😁 Now for a 4.4 cable. 👍

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #5,541 of 5,703
I decided to pull the trigger on my first set of planars to pair with the M17. I've been reading up on many for awhile and kind of temporary lost interest. I jumped online tonight and for whatever reason and without delay..... purchased the Aeon 2 Noire on a whim. 😁 Now for a 4.4 cable. 👍
Go with Hart Audio. You will not regret.

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #5,542 of 5,703
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #5,544 of 5,703
You can buy any 12v DC adapter, make sure that it is at least 2.5A, ideally 3A but, I have a 2.5A in my bedroom and it work just fine with no discernible loss in sound quality.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #5,545 of 5,703
I purchased one of the first M17 units that was available at Amazon upon release. I’ve never gotten DAC mode to work with any device. I’ve tried with a PC, two Macs, three iPhones, and four iPads. Nothing will establish a connection in USB DAC mode. Firmware is updated (1.0.6).

I finally decided to dig in and try to sort it out, and I’ve reached out to FiiO support. They have been less than helpful. They told me to update the XMOS firmware with a new .bin file, but when asked for instructions on how to do that, they sent me other suggestions to try, rather than telling me how to update the XMOS. The other suggestion was a new firmware in a .rar file, but the .rar file was empty. Super duper helpful.

Through some digging on head-fi, I found an earlier post with a link to download a zip file that contains a firmware update utility called FiiODfu.exe. I’ve downloaded that utility and tried to connect my M17. It doesn’t recognize the device. My computer will only connect to the M17 for file transfer. I’ve got the FiiO driver installed. I tried in USB DAC mode, Android mode, and Pure Music mode. I’ve tried multiple cables, multiple USB ports on the PC, and I even tried both USB ports on the M17. Nothing gets my computer to recognize the M17.

I also tried placing the .bin file on the M17 and navigating to it through the local firmware update procedure, but the M17 doesn’t see the .bin file. I tried in local storage on the device and on an SD card.

Has anyone faced and resolved a similar issue? Thanks very much for any advice!

Rob

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #5,546 of 5,703
You have to hear it yourself otherwise you won't believe it 😇👍

IMG_8416.jpeg

NOMAX

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #5,547 of 5,703
The 110 volt version of FiiO's PL50 linear power supply doesn't appear to be available anymore for the last few months. @FiiO Has this model been discontinued or will it be available for purchase again?

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #5,548 of 5,703
Hi everyone. Can someone please explain me why it suggests me to switch of battery charging if it is already in off mode and DC power option is chosen?
Low output power option, non-balanced socket, but the "High temperature" alarm appears in about 30 minutes after listening starting... What is the problem here?
Thanks.
IMG_20231001_134148.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #5,549 of 5,703
Hi everyone. Can someone please explain me why it suggests me to switch of battery charging if it is already in off mode and DC power option is chosen?
Low output power option, non-balanced socket, but the "High temperature" alarm appears in about 30 minutes after listening starting... What is the problem here?
Thanks.
Are you sure battery charging is turned off? That is, if you pull down the notification tray does it show the icon for "Disable battery charging" is activated?

FYI: I tend to take these warnings very seriously after I had similar warnings then a short time later my battery swelled evidently due to the high temperatures requiring a replacement. Not sure if this issue with the battery is still a problem though as mine was a pre-order and one of the first ones sold.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back