[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Aug 30, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #5,522 of 5,693
Aug 31, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #5,523 of 5,693
It’s already in the latest M17 update/firmware.
In the firmware it is Roon Ready.
With Roon Ready it is impossible to manage the library and select the tracks you want to listen to, this can only be done on a computer.
Now I figured it out, I downloaded the FiiO Roon app from the FiiO Store, I launch FiiO Roon, then launch Roon Ready, select in FiiO Roon - FiiO M17 and then in the FiiO Roon app I can manage my library and select the tracks that I want to listen to.

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #5,524 of 5,693
I picked up the Fiio LC RC cable to run my FH5 in 4.4 balanced. I put the M17 in low gain and wow. I am impressed. They sound fantastic! 🤟 It makes me want to try the FH9 now.

Sep 3, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #5,525 of 5,693
Anyone know a way to use PEQ with apple music on M17?
Or the PEQ on the low level so any app I use will be go through the PEQ?

Sep 3, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #5,526 of 5,693
Anyone know a way to use PEQ with apple music on M17?
Or the PEQ on the low level so any app I use will be go through the PEQ?

As it is an android 10+ device, I use a rather low level app like PowerAmp EQ (with some autoEQ PEQ) on my M17 to have a full Parametric EQ available for the streaming providers I used till now like Qobuz, Amazon Music, Tidal (I didn't try Apple) and most of my DLNA receivers app like BubbleUpnp and Neutron... UAPP is a bit more tricky as receiver.

Sep 3, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #5,527 of 5,693
As it is an android 10+ device, I use a rather low level app like PowerAmp EQ (with some autoEQ PEQ) on my M17 to have a full Parametric EQ available for the streaming providers I used till now like Qobuz, Amazon Music, Tidal (I didn't try Apple) and most of my DLNA receivers app like BubbleUpnp and Neutron... UAPP is a bit more tricky as receiver.

Thanks, which one is better PowerAmp EQ or Wavelet?

Actually I prefer apps like Fiio Control but seems like Fiio don't make something like this on their own device (Fiio Control only works for bluetooth device)

Sep 3, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #5,528 of 5,693
Thanks, which one is better PowerAmp EQ or Wavelet?

Actually I prefer apps like Fiio Control but seems like Fiio don't make something like this on their own device (Fiio Control only works for bluetooth device)

I own both, as they are really cheap, Wavelet is not a Parametric EQ but a Graphic EQ which is maybe less precise.. Both can handle most of AutoEQ profiles found in this project (based on Harman 2019 Target).
I only use now Poweramp EQ with any of android devices.

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #5,529 of 5,693
I own both, as they are really cheap, Wavelet is not a Parametric EQ but a Graphic EQ which is maybe less precise.. Both can handle most of AutoEQ profiles found in this project (based on Harman 2019 Target).
I only use now Poweramp EQ with any of android devices.

Thanks for your prompt reply once again, will try the poweramp EQ, actually I bought the poweramp player last time

Sep 4, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #5,531 of 5,693
How would I use my M17 with speakers? I take it I’d need good quality speakers and also an amp to help power the speakers?
Interesting question.

It is possible to use the FiiO M17 as both DAC/streamer and as a preamplifier as is (using the internal amps to power a speaker).
What I mean by this is that, you could, theoretically, use the FiiO M17 on extremely efficient, easy to drive (low ohm load, sub 3W wattage) speakers, with balanced output into such a speaker (or use single-ended output from the M17, but that's then for sub 1.5W speakers due to lower output power).
This is possible due to the high voltage headphone output power of the M17:
  • Single-ended non-DC mode = 11.3 Vp-p
  • Single-ended DC mode = 16.9 Vp-p
  • Balanced non-DC mode = 19.7 Vp-p
  • Balanced DC mode = 27.7 Vp-p
You can still use the FiiO M17's volume in this mode too on such highly efficient speakers.
However, I would not recommend this unless you know your speakers' specs inside and out (horn, DIY, whatever you have).

Instead, it is better to use the FiiO M17 as a DAC/streamer only, setting it to line out mode. This bypasses the internal amps and therefore using the M17 as a decoder. When I say bypass, I mean that the amplifiers are then run at the maximum power they can be at 0dB, either single-ended or balanced, and you cannot use the FiiO M17 to control volume at all.
The line-out power output is as follows (either internal battery or DC mode):
  • Single-ended = 1.9 V
  • Balanced = 3.9 V
Then, connect the M17 to one of the following solutions*:
  • Active speakers
  • Integrated amplifier with volume > speaker
  • Preamplifier with volume > amplifier (or dual monoblocks) > speaker
*For max power, use balanced mode if you want to use the FiiO M17 as a DAC/streamer, especially in DC mode, and I would recommend to use the included FiiO DS3 fan/stand for cooling purposes.

Edit: I've been editing or adding to my post to be as factually correct or give proper advice to help answer the question.
I'm not an electrical engineer, so those with experience beyond my knowledge, please do add to the above!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #5,533 of 5,693
Another question if I may. M17 is capable of 300ohm with balanced cable- not sure if that is battery or DC but thinking that is battery. But anyway, I have a 2nd hand Beyer Amiron Home coming that’s 250ohm. With unbalanced cable which the Amiron comes with the ohm is max 150 ohm, so I’ve ordered a balanced 4.4 cable, non-audiophile grade, but good enough for my level of critical listening I imagine. So over-ear gain setting, with balanced cable, should be just fine with the 250ohm Amiron’s? I think it is, this all makes sense, numbers wise, but I don’t have a big picture view of things.

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #5,534 of 5,693
Another question if I may. M17 is capable of 300ohm with balanced cable- not sure if that is battery or DC but thinking that is battery. But anyway, I have a 2nd hand Beyer Amiron Home coming that’s 250ohm. With unbalanced cable which the Amiron comes with the ohm is max 150 ohm, so I’ve ordered a balanced 4.4 cable, non-audiophile grade, but good enough for my level of critical listening I imagine. So over-ear gain setting, with balanced cable, should be just fine with the 250ohm Amiron’s? I think it is, this all makes sense, numbers wise, but I don’t have a big picture view of things.
Yes, it will power them just fine in over the ear battery mode. The M17 is one of the most powerful DAPs in the market. Plug it in every chance you get for the increased power and sound….. and to prolong battery life.

Sep 16, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #5,535 of 5,693
Hi Guys,
I'm a new happy owner of M17 DAP !

next week will arrive HD800s to pair with it.
In the meantime using it with IEM ibasso IT07 with a MMCX cable. I have the stock one (4,4mm) and a 4,4mm hand made customised.
When I connect M17 to the power supply I hear a background buzz that immediately disappear when I unplug the power supply. Trough the hand made cable I can also feel electrical pinch on my ear....
Is it normal ?!?
Is there any problem in one of the part of the chain ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back