[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #5,551 of 5,703
yes, you can see that message also in a photo I posted above.
Yes, can see the system UI notification tray has that message. Still recommend double checking to see if the "Disable battery charging" is activated. I'm assuming you already rebooted the device and made sure the latest firmware is installed. After that then would probably try resetting the device.

Also probably a good idea to turn the device off immediately for 15 minutes or so anytime you get the high temperature warning.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #5,552 of 5,703
Hi everyone. Can someone please explain me why it suggests me to switch of battery charging if it is already in off mode and DC power option is chosen?
Low output power option, non-balanced socket, but the "High temperature" alarm appears in about 30 minutes after listening starting... What is the problem here?
Thanks.
IMG_20231001_134148.jpg

Try to use the DC jack plug instead of USB type C, is it behave the same?

I only use desktop mode with DC jack adaptor and never have this issue.
Could be bug with type C power?

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #5,553 of 5,703
Hi everyone. Can someone please explain me why it suggests me to switch of battery charging if it is already in off mode and DC power option is chosen?
Low output power option, non-balanced socket, but the "High temperature" alarm appears in about 30 minutes after listening starting... What is the problem here?
Thanks.

Likely what's actually happening is that, whilst you are using DC Mode via the physical switch on the right-hand side of the device, and you indeed have battery charging off, and you're not using the M17 in high output mode, the device itself is getting hot, and due to the design of the battery it is also getting heated by the increase in voltage to the desktop class DAC and amplifier chips.

In other words, there may not be a separate battery temperature warning outside the charging one, but the warning is signifying that the battery is overheating enough for the customised Android OS issuing you a warning to do something, URGENTLY.

I strongly recommend using the included FiiO DK3 fan whenever you use DC input over internal battery.

If you are using the desk fan actively, and this warning continues, contact FiiO immediately after doing basic troubleshooting steps (resetting your FiiO M17 as the final basic check, and testing).

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #5,554 of 5,703
Thanks everyone!
I will do reset and let you know after some tests.
Still recommend double checking to see if the "Disable battery charging" is activated. I'm assuming you already rebooted the device and made sure the latest firmware is installed. After that then would probably try resetting the device.
yes, it is actually disabled in the menu, and I've downloaded a battery health-check software that says that its really disabled. Rebooted several times. Firmware is 1.0.6
Will monitor battery temperature via that health checker, and do reset. Thanks!
Try to use the DC jack plug instead of USB type C, is it behave the same?
I use only DC jack. USB C - for external HDD drive.
In other words, there may not be a separate battery temperature warning outside the charging one, but the warning is signifying that the battery is overheating enough for the customised Android OS issuing you a warning to do something, URGENTLY.
yes, looks like this is my case. However it wasn't like that previously... On the other hand previously I used mainly iems via maximum power mode, but now Meze 109 headphones.
Will do some more tests and observations (with iem as well). Have never used the fan, will try it also.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #5,556 of 5,703
What gain level for CA Andromeda is better? Low-gain and 80/120 volume level or Mid-gain 45/120?

I don't understand 2nd harmonic level... as I hear 2nd level has more dirty sound than 0 level
i think it's said somewhere the 2nd harmonic level is to replicate tube amp sound..
personally i dont use them too. because i love the clean sound from m17, very clean, transparent, yet musical and organic at the same time.

edit: i use mid gain for my iems, it's +0dB on Fiio's chart, which i think is the purest and optimal gain when possible to use.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #5,557 of 5,703
i think it's said somewhere the 2nd harmonic level is to replicate tube amp sound..
personally i dont use them too. because i love the clean sound from m17, very clean, transparent, yet musical and organic at the same time.

edit: i use mid gain for my iems, it's +0dB on Fiio's chart, which i think is the purest and optimal gain when possible to use.
yes I know what is 2nd harmonic means but I don't understand how they make it...just sold dx320 with amp14 and Fiio's imitation of tube sounds is crap lool

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #5,558 of 5,703
yes I know what is 2nd harmonic means but I don't understand how they make it...just sold dx320 with amp14 and Fiio's imitation of tube sounds is crap lool
That is why i keep my DX320

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #5,559 of 5,703
ah, in that case. i'm in the same boat. no idea how they make it.

haven't really tried the 2nd harmonic setting, but yeah.. LOLLLL.

will try someday if i remember to, just for laughs

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #5,560 of 5,703
Does anyone get a music “pause” because THX amp is heating up? I had it happen the other day and then again rather quickly today. I was really pushing my Noires because my balanced cable showed up today. BIG power increase. I had it plugged in but NOT charging and it happened 14 minutes into some Deadmau5….. which is a workout for the equipment for sure.

EDIT: …… and yet again it shuts down. Plugged in but not charging, on the lower over ear mode, out of leather case and on stand with fan on high…… shut down. M17 can’t handle Noires balanced and pushed extra hard for very long. That really sucks!!!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #5,561 of 5,703
I purchased one of the first M17 units that was available at Amazon upon release. I’ve never gotten DAC mode to work with any device. I’ve tried with a PC, two Macs, three iPhones, and four iPads. Nothing will establish a connection in USB DAC mode. Firmware is updated (1.0.6).

I finally decided to dig in and try to sort it out, and I’ve reached out to FiiO support. They have been less than helpful. They told me to update the XMOS firmware with a new .bin file, but when asked for instructions on how to do that, they sent me other suggestions to try, rather than telling me how to update the XMOS. The other suggestion was a new firmware in a .rar file, but the .rar file was empty. Super duper helpful.

Through some digging on head-fi, I found an earlier post with a link to download a zip file that contains a firmware update utility called FiiODfu.exe. I’ve downloaded that utility and tried to connect my M17. It doesn’t recognize the device. My computer will only connect to the M17 for file transfer. I’ve got the FiiO driver installed. I tried in USB DAC mode, Android mode, and Pure Music mode. I’ve tried multiple cables, multiple USB ports on the PC, and I even tried both USB ports on the M17. Nothing gets my computer to recognize the M17.

I also tried placing the .bin file on the M17 and navigating to it through the local firmware update procedure, but the M17 doesn’t see the .bin file. I tried in local storage on the device and on an SD card.

Has anyone faced and resolved a similar issue? Thanks very much for any advice!

Rob
Dear friend,

Which usb port are you using? And did you tried the factory restore?
Please follow the steps in this FAQ to check again first:

https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/566986.html

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 4, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #5,563 of 5,703
If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #5,565 of 5,703

Users who are viewing this thread

Back