[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Sep 20, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #4,531 of 5,703
Hi, I am a new user of M17, when I listen Tidal MASTER track, around 95% tracks are BLUE color of side ambient light, and 5% are PURPLE color. Is the third party app send bit prefect digital audio signal to M17 or I should make some setting? Thanks a lot.
Dear friend,

Which music file is having the issue you mentioned in Tidal?
We will try to test about that. Thanks.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 20, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #4,532 of 5,703
Thanks for your reply.

What I am understand is,

Fiio M17 side ambient light at blue color mean 16/44.1 or below.
Tidal Master track is MQA 24/96

Correct me if I am wrong.

Most of the Tidal Master track is blue light and very very few is purple color.

I just wonder the Tidal app can send bit prefect digital signal to M17, or I need any setting to enable it.

Thanks

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #4,533 of 5,703
Just an afternoon listening to the birthday party and enjoying the M17

Attachments

• IMG_20220921_161344.jpg
    IMG_20220921_161344.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 22, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #4,534 of 5,703
This reminds me of my younger days. I could hear the high-pitched whine of a CRT (cathode ray tube) television.

I could always tell it was turned on, even when there was no picture and no sound.

One distinct occasion, this happened at a friend’s house - their TV had no picture on the TV, and no sound… yet I could hear that it was turned on.

I said to my friend: “Hey - you should turn your TV off when you aren’t using it.”

Them: “It is off.”

Me: “No, it isn’t.”

<walks up to the TV, hits the power button>

Me: “Now it is turned off.”

Of course, it is rare to see CRT TVs these days, so I have not had the opportunity to test my hearing with one in a long time. Besides, I’m much older now, with likely degraded hearing, and also have tinnitus after a car accident (hey - permanent CRT TV sound… greaaaaaat!), so I doubt I could repeat the feat today.
You must be very old (first implementation of CRT Tv was in the 1930’ and it was fairly noisy ) or maybe your friend had a very old tv. Also, I will be interested as to know how your friend had a CRT tv tuned to a dark gray transmisión… I am old enough to have used CRT tv’s for 40 decades and, never once, managed to get anything other than white noise when the tv was not tuned to a transmitting frequency. Either way, being able to hear a worn out CRT, does not prove your can hear the minute difference an “upgraded” PSU has in SQ.
There’s only a few reasons people claims to hear the difference, one is the placebo effect, second is to justify their purchase, and third to advertise through the back door to unsuspecting potential buyers.
The difference can only be measured with highly sensitive equipment. Assuming the units are not worn out or faulty, the human hearing spectrum can not discern it one way or another. Fact!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #4,535 of 5,703
You must be very old (first implementation of CRT Tv was in the 1930’ and it was fairly noisy ) or maybe your friend had a very old tv. Also, I will be interested as to know how your friend had a CRT tv tuned to a dark gray transmisión… I am old enough to have used CRT tv’s for 40 decades and, never once, managed to get anything other than white noise when the tv was not tuned to a transmitting frequency. Either way, being able to hear a worn out CRT, does not prove your can hear the minute difference an “upgraded” PSU has in SQ.
There’s only a few reasons people claims to hear the difference, one is the placebo effect, second is to justify their purchase, and third to advertise through the back door to unsuspecting potential buyers.
The difference can only be measured with highly sensitive equipment. Assuming the units are not worn out or faulty, the human hearing spectrum can not discern it one way or another. Fact!
I'm in my late 40s, so not that old, but I grew up with CRT TVs, of course. I always heard (note the past tense) the tube whine of every single CRT TV I watched (some were louder than others though) while it wasn't being drowned out by TV program sound, it wasn't just my one friend's TV. As for the black image on the screen, I don't know - perhaps it was plugged into a source that was paused/frozen with a black image, or perhaps that particular manufacturer had designed their TV to display a black image and no sound when there was no signal, instead of the regular white noise / "snow".

As for hearing the difference with an upgraded PSU, I made no such specific claim, so I wasn't trying to "prove" anything. Step off the soapbox on that please. I only posited a theory on a specific case where a PSU might make a difference (high impedance headphones with low bass, and spontaneous, repeated high power draw).

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #4,536 of 5,703
I'm in my late 40s, so not that old, but I grew up with CRT TVs, of course. I always heard (note the past tense) the tube whine of every single CRT TV I watched (some were louder than others though) while it wasn't being drowned out by TV program sound, it wasn't just my one friend's TV. As for the black image on the screen, I don't know - perhaps it was plugged into a source that was paused/frozen with a black image, or perhaps that particular manufacturer had designed their TV to display a black image and no sound when there was no signal, instead of the regular white noise / "snow".

As for hearing the difference with an upgraded PSU, I made no such specific claim, so I wasn't trying to "prove" anything. Step off the soapbox on that please. I only posited a theory on a specific case where a PSU might make a difference (high impedance headphones with low bass, and spontaneous, repeated high power draw).
Fair enough.
The M17 standard PSU is very capable of driving, with room to spare, the specific case scenario you mention. It drives my Sennheiser HD820 300Ω cans with no problem at all. It drives them just fine in battery mode too, no issues there. The only advantage an upgraded PSU will bring, is better quality components which, will last longer and run slightly cooler. But that’s about it.

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #4,537 of 5,703
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #4,538 of 5,703
Fair enough.
The M17 standard PSU is very capable of driving, with room to spare, the specific case scenario you mention. It drives my Sennheiser HD820 300Ω cans with no problem at all. It drives them just fine in battery mode too, no issues there. The only advantage an upgraded PSU will bring, is better quality components which, will last longer and run slightly cooler. But that’s about it.
Well, no really. I’ve just got my FiiO PSU and can say that one prominent thing that you hear right away is that it has absolutely pitch black background.
I can hear a noticeable hiss with standard PSU with my Traillii.

Sep 23, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #4,539 of 5,703
Well, no really. I’ve just got my FiiO PSU and can say that one prominent thing that you hear right away is that it has absolutely pitch black background.
I can hear a noticeable hiss with standard PSU with my Traillii.
Well, I can tell you that the one thing we were all raving about when we first got our M17, was precisely the pitch black background with the standard PSU.
I’lll say it until the cows come home, there is no improvement in SQ with an upgraded PSU.
If there is an environment with a serious EMF problem, (like the examples I have already mentioned) shielding and high quality components are required. It is very unlikely that the environment where you are using your M17 will met the criteria for such needs.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #4,540 of 5,703
Well, I can tell you that the one thing we were all raving about when we first got our M17, was precisely the pitch black background with the standard PSU.
I’lll say it until the cows come home, there is no improvement in SQ with an upgraded PSU.
If there is an environment with a serious EMF problem, (like the examples I have already mentioned) shielding and high quality components are required. It is very unlikely that the environment where you are using your M17 will met the criteria for such needs.
Traillii in Enhanced Over Ear Mode hiss pretty noticeably with stock PSU while being dead silent withPL50.

Sep 23, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #4,541 of 5,703
Traillii in Enhanced Over Ear Mode hiss pretty noticeably with stock PSU while being dead silent withPL50.
I seriously doubt that!
But hey, carry on my good man, whatever makes you happy. I am out, this exchange has taken far too much of my time.

Sep 23, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #4,542 of 5,703
I seriously doubt that!
But hey, carry on my good man, whatever makes you happy. I am out, this exchange has taken far too much of my time.
Sorry, but I tend to believe the not one, but now two different people who have the same setup (to include the specific IEMs in question), over someone who doesn’t but continues to deny the reality of their experience, at least for very high sensitivity IEMs.

My personal verdict on whether the PL50 makes a difference? Sometimes, depending on equipment.

As for the other scenario (high power draw, below bass), and your own experience with your 300 Ω Sennheiser HD820, I also respect that you have no issues and do not see any further improvement possible. Would the same also hold true for even more challenging headphones, like the 600 Ω Beyerdynamic T1? Maybe - we can’t be 100% sure until we either try it ourselves or have multiple other accounts of personal experience, with the specific equipment.

Sep 23, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #4,543 of 5,703
Hi, I am a new user of M17, when I listen Tidal MASTER track, around 95% tracks are BLUE color of side ambient light, and 5% are PURPLE color. Is the third party app send bit prefect digital audio signal to M17 or I should make some setting? Thanks a lot.
You need to turn off the loudness normalisation in the Tidal app on your M17.. All MQA tracks on the M17 should light up purple when using the Tidal app..

Sep 23, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #4,544 of 5,703
So I realised that my M17 indicator lights are still messed up... It's the opposite of whatever I select... Charging and working state are the opposite... Didn't you guys fix this in FW1.0.4?

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #4,545 of 5,703
Sorry, but I tend to believe the not one, but now two different people who have the same setup (to include the specific IEMs in question), over someone who doesn’t but continues to deny the reality of their experience, at least for very high sensitivity IEMs.

My personal verdict on whether the PL50 makes a difference? Sometimes, depending on equipment.

As for the other scenario (high power draw, below bass), and your own experience with your 300 Ω Sennheiser HD820, I also respect that you have no issues and do not see any further improvement possible. Would the same also hold true for even more challenging headphones, like the 600 Ω Beyerdynamic T1? Maybe - we can’t be 100% sure until we either try it ourselves or have multiple other accounts of personal experience, with the specific equipment.
I don’t know if you have noticed but the M17 literature recommends IEM’s/Headphones up to 300Ω so, trying to drive 600Ω headphones with this unit is not going to work very well, the M17 was not engineered for that scenario. No mater what PSU is in use, the M17 is designed to draw a preset amount of current, anything over that threshold will trigger protection circuitry shutdown. As for “Cleaner”electrons delivery via an upgraded PSU, those electrons have to pass through several solid state components, headphone cables, croxover, balanced drivers, membrane drivers, soldering points, small cables etc, etc. Not to mention the complex structures that forms the ears, and the nervous systems that will ultimately deliver the final electrical signal to the brain. So, if we follow the “clean” electrons logic, all those components will definitely add serious ”dirt”.
Look, for this kind of equipment, I have already stated that there is no audible gains, that’s an engineering fact, it really is that simple.
But, as I have said many times, whatever makes you happy, I have no issue with what people buys to reach musical nirvana, be that real or through the power of imagination.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back