[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #1,366 of 5,701
I'll try Supanova with the stock power unit and report, didn't think of this as I got iPower Elite before the supanova. I think if you want a more reasonable upgrade the Nova is more than enough (@lafeuill will tell), Supanova adds ANC which could matter depending on where you live (cleaner or noiser electric signals) and power surge protection but you can do this without cracking the bank.

One thing to consider is Supanova is a big chunk of a cable it takes quite a bit of room

Well as black as battery powered if you will
I could not figure out how to connect the Supanova to the stock power unit. Tips?

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #1,367 of 5,701
I could not figure out how to connect the Supanova to the stock power unit. Tips?
I have checked and short answer is... you can't...
the socket is too small on the stock power, it's a smaller one probably to save space and make it compact enough.

I don't think this would make sense anyway to upgrade the power cable before the power unit.

IMG_7122.jpg IMG_7121.jpgIMG_7123.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #1,368 of 5,701
I have checked and short answer is... you can't...
the socket is too small on the stock power, it's a smaller one probably to save space and make it compact enough.

I don't think this would make sense anyway to upgrade the power cable before the power unit.

Super helpful. I’ll go with iPower Elite instead.

Dec 11, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #1,369 of 5,701
J'ai vérifié et la réponse courte est... vous ne pouvez pas...
la prise est trop petite sur l'alimentation d'origine, c'est une plus petite probablement pour gagner de la place et la rendre assez compacte.

Je ne pense pas que cela aurait de sens de toute façon de mettre à niveau le câble d'alimentation avant l'unité d'alimentation.

J'ai eu ce genre de problème et j'ai utilisé cet adaptateur https://a.aliexpress.com/_vPlbei

Attachments

• 1194157063187706248.jpg
    1194157063187706248.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 11, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #1,370 of 5,701
Well to each his own, but I trust my ears and I understand how one would be doubtful I really tried this as an experiment not even half convinced there would be a significant difference and I was so wrong.. I was so so surprised by the result no matter what explanations there might be. That's why I tried the even crazier experience of getting @iFi audio Supanova power cable on top.... not sure if @FiiO has tested power unit or cable upgrades...

image0(4).jpegIMG_7104.jpg

I received the it, plugged it and... well that's another big leap forward in terms of SQ! I know most won't believe it... I wouldn't either because I had not tried my self I just wouldn't and even laugh if off. But I am curious guy by nature so I tried because I didn't believe for the power unit and then discussed with friends with long standing experience in sedentary setups that told me to try it (with return policy no much of a risk...).

Well call me a believer. I mean it's a much bigger step up than any TOTL audio cable for that matter for a fraction of the price. It's just so so surprising.
@lafeuill has gotten the iPower Elite as well and the more reasonable Nova cable he'll probably report on his findings as well.

I am hearing a significant improvement of dynamic range and even blacker background.. wether you believe it or not, I sure enjoy it a lot and consider this money well spent allowing the M17 to shine to its full potential.
Man you should try the 10k cables for headphones its a hole new level aboved that.

Dec 12, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #1,371 of 5,701
Man you should try the 10k cables for headphones its a hole new level aboved that.
I hope this is humor but it's hard to read between the lines in written form with people you don't know so I prefer to think it is :grin:

This being said, if this is not humor...
There is no common point with a 350$ cable and a 10K one which obviously I will never buy for a DAP under 2K. Again Nova at 169$ is probably a best choice with better value for money. I can afford it so I went straight to the Supanova but I think the difference is probably not significant contrary to stock => upgrade audio cable.

Respecting the opinion of others is a basis for community especially when there are disclaimers.

Contrary to some I don't pretend to own the truth, just relating my humble experience and sharing what I am hearing... Just like audio cables I have tight limits of what I will spend, the law of diminishing return applies of course. Biggest improvement is usually between the entry level and mid tier level, then it becomes less of a gain. Going from a stock power cable with your everyday wiring that works well with kitchen appliances to a cable designed with audio gear in mind is probably a worthy upgrade at leasts on paper. Also you can't deny that ANC does something to noise, namely -40dB here and that quality material in audio usually does help, ground zero design is also bound to help with providing better signal especially since the quality of power in most homes is not that high considering how sensitive audio gear is to noise and fluctuations.

Switching from a 200$ DAP to à 500$ one is a big step in SQ. Around 500 to 1000$ you get extra refinement and power. Above that is for those who want to get the small things that make the big difference for some of us (that's also considering the headphones/IEM you have, flagship stuff reveal more). Like anyone, I have my limits so spending 3 or 4K for IEMs or DAPs is a no-no (like audio cable above 1K is for me) but some do spend that and it's their choice, I respect it. I have heard the stuff at this price I know the difference with 1.5/2K IEMs is not that significant. Again to each his own...

SupaNova by iFi audio - Our multi-faceted active power cable eradicates dirty mains power and ...png
SupaNova by iFi audio - Our multi-faceted active power cable eradicates dirty mains power and ...png

Now if that does translate into SQ improvement is subject to discussion and YMMV.
Again, I know I wouldn't have believed it had I not tried it. Being open minded is definitely helpful to learn new stuff :wink:

Even if you don't buy it, maybe try it and check it out before having a definitive opinion :)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,373 of 5,701
I'll try Supanova with the stock power unit and report, didn't think of this as I got iPower Elite before the supanova. I think if you want a more reasonable upgrade the Nova is more than enough (@lafeuill will tell), Supanova adds ANC which could matter depending on where you live (cleaner or noiser electric signals) and power surge protection but you can do this without cracking the bank.

One thing to consider is Supanova is a big chunk of a cable it takes quite a bit of room

The effect of our power line stacks, so the odds are that upon adding either Nova or Supanova to iPower Elite you'll still hear audible improvements. There really seems to be no end to how power scales. And yes, Supanova is big and bulky, but to preserve its critical active component and geometry we couldn't make it any less small or flexible.

Well to each his own, but I trust my ears and I understand how one would be doubtful I really tried this as an experiment not even half convinced there would be a significant difference and I was so wrong.. I was so so surprised by the result no matter what explanations there might be. That's why I tried the even crazier experience of getting @iFi audio Supanova power cable on top.... not sure if @FiiO has tested power unit or cable upgrades...

image0(4).jpegIMG_7104.jpg

I received the it, plugged it and... well that's another big leap forward in terms of SQ! I know most won't believe it... I wouldn't either because I had not tried my self I just wouldn't and even laugh if off. But I am curious guy by nature so I tried because I didn't believe for the power unit and then discussed with friends with long standing experience in sedentary setups that told me to try it (with return policy no much of a risk...).

Well call me a believer. I mean it's a much bigger step up than any TOTL audio cable for that matter for a fraction of the price. It's just so so surprising.
@lafeuill has gotten the iPower Elite as well and the more reasonable Nova cable he'll probably report on his findings as well.

I am hearing a significant improvement of dynamic range and even blacker background.. wether you believe it or not, I sure enjoy it a lot and consider this money well spent allowing the M17 to shine to its full potential.

Thanks a lot! It's quite the surprise how much of a difference a power cable can make. Most reviewers who regularly test various often very expensive cables agree that those for power (and power components such as external power supplies, conditioners etc.) make the biggest difference.

Again, I know I wouldn't have believed it had I not tried it. Being open minded is definitely helpful to learn new stuff :wink:

So very true :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 12, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #1,374 of 5,701
Hi,
I'm planning to move the M17 into my house, and having two DC power supply would be much more convenient for me.
Is there any option to buy a second DC power supply (from Fiio or from a third party) ?

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #1,375 of 5,701
Hi,
I'm planning to move the M17 into my house, and having two DC power supply would be much more convenient for me.
Is there any option to buy a second DC power supply (from Fiio or from a third party) ?

We plan to sell some DC power to our user but may not in short time cause there are too many supply issue this year and it is very closed to Chinese New year.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 13, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #1,377 of 5,701
Wanna know is there any different between enhanced mode and the normal overear mode if I am using lineout to headphone amp? I use the DC power in both mode.
It would be interesting to know it the M17 has a real line out that bypass the amp section. If not, it means that we should consider the enhanced audio should be used, as the frequencies'response is more flat in low frequencies. I didn't find any function to limit output voltage to 2V or 4V.
At home, I already tried to connect the 4.4mm line out of my M17 to my Monolith THX887, but there were some background hisses when no music is active, so I think I will go through USB-C output to an external little DAC (SMSL SU9) then the Monolith THX887 amp.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #1,378 of 5,701
It would be interesting to know it the M17 has a real line out that bypass the amp section. If not, it means that we should consider the enhanced audio should be used, as the frequencies'response is more flat in low frequencies. I didn't find any function to limit output voltage to 2V or 4V.
At home, I already tried to connect the 4.4mm line out of my M17 to my Monolith THX887, but there were some background hisses when no music is active, so I think I will go through USB-C output to an external little DAC (SMSL SU9) then the Monolith THX887 amp.

Is the 4.4mm is a line out ?

I don't have the necessary cable to try the 4.4mm output, but the 3.5mm works perfectly as a Line Out.
M17 as a DAC, Topping A50S as an Amp, 3.5mm cable to stereo RCA, no hiss, nothing but silence between songs.
You will of course need to turn the LO button on the M17.

I've been playing with the M17 for 2 hours. Very impressed so far.
What a beast !
I was skeptical about the Stand before using it, but it looks sturdy, stable, and it does a great job cooling the M17.

I will need to find a protective glass, and another case...too bad the quality isn't on par with what I've got on my M11 Pro.
Better than nothing, but I hope Fiio will sell a proper leather case soon.

Dec 13, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #1,379 of 5,701
Is the 4.4mm is a line out ?

I don't have the necessary cable to try the 4.4mm output, but the 3.5mm works perfectly as a Line Out.
M17 as a DAC, Topping A50S as an Amp, 3.5mm cable to stereo RCA, no hiss, nothing but silence between songs.
You will of course need to turn the LO button on the M17.

I've been playing with the M17 for 2 hours. Very impressed so far.
What a beast !
I was skeptical about the Stand before using it, but it looks sturdy, stable, and it does a great job cooling the M17.

I will need to find a protective glass, and another case...too bad the quality isn't on par with what I've got on my M11 Pro.
Better than nothing, but I hope Fiio will sell a proper leather case soon.
The M17 gets pretty toasty and I recon the leather case has to be loose so that air can circulate.
There is a tempered glass screen protector included (inside the envelop) it is very easy to apply and leaves no bubbles at all.
I hope that helps.

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #1,380 of 5,701
I’m wondering if any of you here can offer some input on this. Recently purchased the M17 and love it, but I notice that I have to turn the volume up 10 notches or so louder on the M17 than I did on my M15 to achieve the same sound level with my Focal Stellia headphones. (This is in battery mode, low gain on both, as the Stellia is fairly low impedance, but is true even with medium gain on the M17.) I’m just confused by this as I thought the M17 was supposed to have a more powerful amp than the M15 or maybe I’m wrong about that. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back