[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 14, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #1,396 of 5,698
After several tests and tries, Wavelet is still causing audio issues on every players I've tried.
Sometime it's obvious, sometimes it's not.
I've uninstalled, reinstalled, tried several differents players, several headphones, at all gains...

As soon as Wavelet is engaged, highs and lows are not as clean as they should. Sometimes it's simply horrible.
It seems that 16bits files are more concerned than 24bits's
I've never heard that on any of my phones, so I can't figure what's going on.

I'll try to find a solution this week, but if I can't, I will have to send it back, or sell it.
It's a fantastic machine, but Wavelet is a must have for me. :sweat:

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #1,398 of 5,698
Would love to hear your thoughts about how they compare?

Thanks!
I can give you some first impressions because I’ve used the player for roughly 10hours.

Tonality
M8 sounds warmer and richer across the frequency spectrum. The warmth, however, rolls off the sub bass slightly. Vocals sound amazing, but genres like EDM, Techno and other fast paced genres sound very off.
M17 on the other hand, is a bit more cold and analytical in it’s tonality, but way smoother in the treble region when compared to another dual ESS9038Pro, DX220.
Since the tonality is slightly off on M17, I prefer using LO and my Vorzüge Vorzamp Pro to improve it.

Soundstage and Imaging
The stage is wide on M17, also wider than M8. On the M8, vocals are dead Center and the stage is probably more vertical than horizontal. Since the SS on M17 is so wide, imaging isn’t as good as M8. The positional accuracy is a bit blurred on the M17 when M8 had better separation and borders around instruments.

Driving Power
Driving power on the M17 is a bit better than the M8. The potentiometer on the M17 feels better to use than the M8.

Software and UI
M17 is so much faster than M8, which runs on Snapdragon 435. WiFi speeds are better on the M17 as well. M8 used to lag in Bluetooth amp mode by a lot. A lag is observable in M17, but not so much.

IO and Connectivity
M17 has a plethora of IO options and M8 has one interchangeable socket. Changing the sockets scratched the surface and the paint started chipping off. This can be well avoided in the M17. The option of delivering a cooling dock fan and a decent leather case makes the M17 a better buy than the M8 already!

Other issues
M8 gets much warmer to touch than the M17, despite having a bigger battery. It was impossible to touch the M8 while playing MQA in balanced. M17 despite its mammoth size isn’t so much bigger than the M8. Holding and carrying both the players is possible but hard :)

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #1,399 of 5,698
thank you. i am a m8 owner, consider to buy the m17 (in addition). this first impressions helps already.

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #1,400 of 5,698
I think that the M17 only unfolds MQA up to 8x, I think I read that on their website. Which is strange, as the SoC, the XMOS and the ES9038pro should be able to go up to 16x.
another question is why only MQA 8x instead 16x? any restrictions?
It's just the oversampling filter multiplier. It just happens to use a (arguably pretty crappy) filter supplied by MQA. That filter leaks massive amounts of ultrasonic noise, so whether it's of 8x or 16x it makes no difference, as it severely distorts the audible waveform with the noise, even if the distortion is inaudible.
Can anyone offer a comparison with that other desktop/portable DAC/DAP; namely, the Hugo 2?

(cc. @Currawong please :raising_hand: )
Sorry, I've been busy and not reading the forums. Long answer short, the Hugo 2 is still better. It brings out more depth and dimensionality to the music. That's the technical limitations of using a commercial SD DAC chip of any form.

Still, the M17 is the best I've heard from a DAP, with the cleanest/smoothest presentation of anything Sabre-based that I can recall in recent memory, at least without going megabuck. The greatest thing has been how, as you turn the volume up, the sound simply gets better, instead of just "louder", especially in desktop mode.

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #1,401 of 5,698
It's just the oversampling filter multiplier. It just happens to use a (arguably pretty crappy) filter supplied by MQA. That filter leaks massive amounts of ultrasonic noise, so whether it's of 8x or 16x it makes no difference, as it severely distorts the audible waveform with the noise, even if the distortion is inaudible.

Sorry, I've been busy and not reading the forums. Long answer short, the Hugo 2 is still better. It brings out more depth and dimensionality to the music. That's the technical limitations of using a commercial SD DAC chip of any form.

Still, the M17 is the best I've heard from a DAP, with the cleanest/smoothest presentation of anything Sabre-based that I can recall in recent memory, at least without going megabuck. The greatest thing has been how, as you turn the volume up, the sound simply gets better, instead of just "louder", especially in desktop mode.
Thanks so much @Currawong for the reply. I've since ordered the M17 and look forward to hearing this week. It's impressive the Hugo 2 still reigns supreme, however.

I was on the fence about the M17 or buying the Hugo 2 (for a second time) but the DAP aspect of the M17 is appealing to me because of its convenience. I just hope it can drive the ZMF VC with authority.

And hope to watch your review soon. 👍🏻

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #1,403 of 5,698
yeah agree with currawong the hugo 2 just is still better than the dx 300 max or m17 🤦‍♂️ just for sound.
Yup, wish I still had mine so I can do direct A/B, though I don't doubt the Hugo 2 is the more technically exacting and resolving unit. Whether one actually likes the timbre/tonality is a different matter altogether, to say nothing of practicalities.

Dec 14, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #1,404 of 5,698
I just hope it can drive the ZMF VC with authority.
Definitely not going to have any trouble driving ZMF VC with the M17 - sounds outstanding to my ears for both music and late night TV/movie watching. As evidence I humbly submit the following obligatory supporting pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20211119_171850.jpg
    IMG_20211119_171850.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211119_172826.jpg
    IMG_20211119_172826.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Dec 14, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #1,406 of 5,698
Less than one week with the M17 ... but, I am just wondering if, after so many years searching, I could find my dream music machine to be free as I like, where I want without any significant sacrifice with sound quality.

Dignis M17 Stealth Closed Stack SD.jpg

Dignis M17 Stealth Semi Open Stack SD.jpg

Dignis M17 Stealth Open Stack SD.jpg

M17, cleaning pad, Dock, Sony's Remote Control, Sennheiser IE 900, 2 x (USB-A+1Tb micro SD)+Voltmeter, 1m20 balanced Cable with DCA Connectors, USB-C to 5.5mm/2.1mm adapter, ddHifi 2.5mm DAC (for my Galaxy Z fold 3 & IE 900), some USB-C to USB-A or USB-C cables and connectors, 2Tb SSD Samsung, THE MONSTER DCA Stealth and a rather convenient Dignis case..
I am still waiting for 12V4.2A 25000 mha powerbank.. And, not on the picture, a galaxy Z Fold 3 as Wifi access point for M17, movie player (via a BT-LDAC to M17 connection for sound without noticeable lag), Internet, games,........ and stuff for my real job (needs mainly office 365) :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #1,407 of 5,698
For more stablity with Poweramp EQ: Settings->Equalizer->Known Players-><The application you would like to EQ>->Click the gear->Keep EQ Session

1639068092052.png
1639067921579.png
1639067931065.png
1639067948541.png
1639067969188.png

Does Poweramp EQ work well with all streaming apps (Qobuz, Deezer, Apple Music) and all resolutions? I have the REEQ app on an older DAP that only works on 44.1 kHz files, and not hi-res.

Dec 14, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #1,408 of 5,698
Less than one week with the M17 ... but, I am just wondering if, after so many years searching, I could find my dream music machine to be free as I like, where I want without any significant sacrifice with sound quality.

Dignis M17 Stealth Closed Stack SD.jpg

Dignis M17 Stealth Semi Open Stack SD.jpg

Dignis M17 Stealth Open Stack SD.jpg

M17, cleaning pad, Dock, Sony's Remote Control, Sennheiser IE 900, 2 x (USB-A+1Tb micro SD)+Voltmeter, 1m20 balanced Cable with DCA Connectors, USB-C to 5.5mm/2.1mm adapter, ddHifi 2.5mm DAC (for my Galaxy Z fold 3 & IE 900), some USB-C to USB-A or USB-C cables and connectors, 2Tb SSD Samsung, THE MONSTER DCA Stealth and a rather convenient Dignis case..
I am still waiting for 12V4.2A 25000 mha powerbank.. And, not on the picture, a galaxy Z Fold 3 as Wifi access point for M17, movie player (via a BT-LDAC to M17 connection for sound without noticeable lag), Internet, games,........ and stuff for my real job (needs mainly office 365) :ksc75smile:

Awesome setup. Could you please share where the Dignis case came from and what type it is?

Dec 14, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #1,409 of 5,698
thank you. i am a m8 owner, consider to buy the m17 (in addition). this first impressions helps already.
I just sold M8 but had it for a good long while. What M8 and M17 share is bass are powerful, just M17 takes this even further than M8 which is something to behold and aside from nice desktop setup I have had the pleasure to audition like Pro iCAN I have never had this kind of experience from a DAP.

I wouldn't say M17 is more analytical - to me it's just as rich and smooth sounding a unit as M8 - but overall it's a more balanced listen (once the unit is burnt in) and with snappier note attack and faster decay it's a less "romantic" presentation if you will. Also M17 has a much bigger sized instruments and a bolder midrange which is more foward and with more bite than M8. M8 has more treble presence overall especially the upper section. Last but not least stage is bigger on M17, quite significantly...

yeah agree with currawong the hugo 2 just is still better than the dx 300 max or m17 🤦‍♂️ just for sound.
Well it really depends what you're looking for... more resolving sure, I for one don't like Hugo 2 just like I didn't like DX220 Max....
M17 is such a different philosophy anyway... not the same brand of sound.
So it depends on your preferences or if for you pure technicality is the priority.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,410 of 5,698
Awesome setup. Could you please share where the Dignis case came from and what type it is?

Sorry ... I can't remember where I bought it. That case was made for another DAP and was something like the last one sold.
It's one year I am using it every day and I really think it's very convenient for daps cable, IEM, .... and a good protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back