[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 13, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #1,381 of 5,698
I’m wondering if any of you here can offer some input on this. Recently purchased the M17 and love it, but I notice that I have to turn the volume up 10 notches or so louder on the M17 than I did on my M15 to achieve the same sound level with my Focal Stellia headphones. (This is in battery mode, low gain on both, as the Stellia is fairly low impedance, but is true even with medium gain on the M17.) I’m just confused by this as I thought the M17 was supposed to have a more powerful amp than the M15 or maybe I’m wrong about that. Any thoughts?
Can't compare volume levels directly as they have different actual gain levels. M17's low gain is -6dB while I can't find exact gain level on M15 low gain, it might be higher.

Gain is arbitrary, not really related to power ceiling.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,382 of 5,698
I have a very strange behavior.
With the Fiio player, when using Wavelet, I can't have a proper sound.
I have audio glitches, like if background sound was saturated. No matter the gain.

Switching of the Wavelet app immediatly stops those "cracks".
So I have no doubt, Wavelet is responsible. But I'm wondering why.
It doesn't happen with the Amazon Music player.

Can the Fiio's player go deeper into the Android system, so it cannot properly works with a DSP like Wavelet ?
Has anyone using Wavelet already noticed the same "issue" ?

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,383 of 5,698
I have a very strange behavior.
With the Fiio player, when using Wavelet, I can't have a proper sound.
I have audio glitches, like if background sound was saturated. No matter the gain.

Switching of the Wavelet app immediatly stops those "cracks".
So I have no doubt, Wavelet is responsible. But I'm wondering why.
It doesn't happen with the Amazon Music player.

Can the Fiio's player go deeper into the Android system, so it cannot properly works with a DSP like Wavelet ?
Has anyone using Wavelet already noticed the same "issue" ?
If Pure audio mode ... Wavelet is not active with Fiio player.
In Android mode, I have no issue with Fiio player.
I have no glitch or cracks with Wavelet active or not (Qobuz, Amazon, Bubble Upnp, Fiio Player).. But, I have some difficult music starts with Neutron Player (DSD ?).

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,384 of 5,698
I have no glitch or cracks with Wavelet active or not (Qobuz, Amazon, Bubble Upnp, Fiio Player).. But, I have some difficult music starts with Neutron Player (DSD ?).

Thanks,
Yes, I have that issue in Android mode only (as you said Wavelet only works in that mode anyway)
It doesn't seems to occur on every songs, but sometimes it sounds completely compressed, as if wavelet was totally messing the sound
I'll try to dig to find out what's going on.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #1,385 of 5,698
Maybe rooting and JamesDSP or Viper4Android is the way forward for global EQ/DSP if NP Audio release the rooting method or a ROM.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #1,386 of 5,698
I’m wondering if any of you here can offer some input on this. Recently purchased the M17 and love it, but I notice that I have to turn the volume up 10 notches or so louder on the M17 than I did on my M15 to achieve the same sound level with my Focal Stellia headphones. (This is in battery mode, low gain on both, as the Stellia is fairly low impedance, but is true even with medium gain on the M17.) I’m just confused by this as I thought the M17 was supposed to have a more powerful amp than the M15 or maybe I’m wrong about that. Any thoughts?

Why would you compare how powerful each daps amplifier is on the lowest gain :D

Seriously though I believe the M17 has been designed to cater for most headphones and iems with varying impedance and sensitivity (judging by its connectors and marketing) so its power spans from one extreme to the other.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #1,387 of 5,698
I finally put in an order for the M17, which should arrive later this week. Look forward to trying with the headphones listed in my sig, especially ZMF VC and Rognir.

I'll be curious to try my Cayin C9 with it. I assume the line out is shared, right? Any observations on connecting with other amps?

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,388 of 5,698
Why would you compare how powerful each daps amplifier is on the lowest gain :D

Seriously though I believe the M17 has been designed to cater for most headphones and iems with varying impedance and sensitivity (judging by its connectors and marketing) so its power spans from one extreme to the other.
I’m not comparing the upper limits of how powerful each one is, just the difference each one displays at low gain with a low-impedance headphone. I guess that wasn’t clear to you from my post.

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,389 of 5,698

I'm guessing there are no linearity, even among the same brand.
My M11Pro volume level is on par with the M17, in Low Gain.
I wouldn't mind at all.

I''ve just received it, and I'm gonna look for things to dislike, but power won't be part of the cons.

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #1,391 of 5,698
Received my Fiio M17 today to replace my Shanling M8. Enhanced mode is bloody awesome! Maybe rooting will make it possible to trigger Enhanced mode over USB-C
Such things are about hardware limitations and I don't think FiiO would disable such a feature if it was possible. Plus, as far as I know 12V/3A is not part of the USB-C power delivery specifications (I might be wrong). Even if there would be a way to trigger enhanced mode without the DC supply, it is also highly unlikely that there are power rails connected from the USB port directly feeding the amplifier. Plus, it is also unlikely that simple chargers provide clean power without switching noise.

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #1,392 of 5,698
Received my Fiio M17 today to replace my Shanling M8. Enhanced mode is bloody awesome! Maybe rooting will make it possible to trigger Enhanced mode over USB-C

A simple adapter from some USB-C powerbank to 5.5mm 2.1mm makes it possible to activate Enhanced Headphone mode... or even use a more common usb-c power charger which can provide 12V.
Not all powerbanks are limited to 12V/3A, but I own some that can manage it (Samsung powerbanks or compact USB-C chargers).

Dec 14, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #1,393 of 5,698
I just ordered this, which should be perfect for the M17 and long overseas trip even with a DCA Stealth in enhanced mode
1639467685396.png

With such spec
1639467733530.png

1639467802097.png

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flash-pro-world-s-fastest-powerbank-redesigned/x/24926014#/

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #1,394 of 5,698

Sorry, the voltage output of build in battery can be only boost to 8.5V so M17 can't work in Enhanced Mode which need at least 12V power supply.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back