[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Apr 14, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #3,541 of 5,703
Big shout out to those that recommended the Pelican 1040. I don’t think there’s a more perfect carry case! I think the clear cover is best. It gives me joy to find things that perfectly fit as if they’re custom.

FF4A73C0-93CA-4DDC-84E9-313B13F63C26.jpeg971FF1BD-2D5C-4891-ACCE-4524BAB21926.jpeg
thank you all for the recommendation. i am going to buy the peli micro 1040.

one question left: there are 2 different black versions:

one like on your picture with a clear top.

the other with a black top, see here:
1040-micro-case-klar-gelb.jpg

there is an extra pad in the inside as you can see.

i think this extra pad is missing in the clear version, right?

to recap:
the height of the m17: 28mm + case = 32mm i think.
the height of the peli 1040 clear top: 45mm
the height of the peli 1040 black top: 42mm

i was just wondering about the left space between the m17 and the top. the less is better in my case as it is in my backpack and i don't want that it bumps around all the time.

Apr 14, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #3,542 of 5,703
thank you all for the recommendation. i am going to buy the peli micro 1040.

one question left: there are 2 different black versions:

one like on your picture with a clear top.

the other with a black top, see here:
1040-micro-case-klar-gelb.jpg

there is an extra pad in the inside as you can see.

i think this extra pad is missing in the clear version, right?

to recap:
the height of the m17: 28mm + case = 32mm i think.
the height of the peli 1040 clear top: 45mm
the height of the peli 1040 black top: 42mm

i was just wondering about the left space between the m17 and the top. the less is better in my case as it is in my backpack and i don't want that it bumps around all the time.
I have a spare one of these that I used for my M17. It's like the one in the photo - black with internal padding. Drop me a line if you want a 2nd hand one.

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #3,543 of 5,703
Soo finally finished the burn in the m17. It sounds glorious. What was the preselected lowpass filter mode out of the box? Fast roll off linear?

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #3,545 of 5,703
Did you notice any obvious difference in sound after burn in? :D yes, default filter ou of box is "Fast Roll Off linear".
After around 300hrs burn in I noticed a bigger soundstage with better separation. Excellent depth and height, 3d imaging. The sound seems less warm than out of the box and more controlled, more neutral. Really impressive dap.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #3,546 of 5,703
Intro, thanks and question…

Intro:
My name is Richard and I am in the greater Boston area. HIFI novice but learning quickly. My gear as of today is: Fiio M17, Hiby New 2020 R6, UM Mest Mk 2, Shure Se846, Oppo Pm-1, Oppo HA-1, HIFI Rose 150b and Output Frontier powered monitors.

I have read every single post on this thread and learned a ton. Thanks to this group I made the jump to the M17 which arrived today. So thank you for the indirect support which was invaluable in informing my buying decision.

Question:
What is the best way to charge this beast. I will cap the charge via battery settings to 80% but was curious what is the best way to charge, via DC or USB 3? If USB 3 which charger do you recommend. I own this one already so will this work?

(https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Durable-Compact-Included/dp/B099F558S1/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2Z3ZHF9H745A6&keywords=anker+20w+usb-c+charger&qid=1649985803&sprefix=Anker+2,aps,131&sr=8-5)

or am I better off using the small cube (original 5w) that came with my iPhone which isn’t fast charging capable. (I still don’t know for sure if I need fast charging as I am not convinced that FC doesn’t damage the battery and I need this battery to last.)

Thanks in advance for the input and I look forward to contributing to the group.

Richard

Attachments

• 97BDC196-14CE-4DE0-9EAF-C383909F99B9.jpeg
    97BDC196-14CE-4DE0-9EAF-C383909F99B9.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #3,547 of 5,703
:deadho

Intro:
My name is Richard and I am in the greater Boston area. HIFI novice but learning quickly. My gear as of today is: Fiio M17, Hiby New 2020 R6, UM Mest Mk 2, Shure Se846, Oppo Pm-1, Oppo HA-1, HIFI Rose 150b and Output Frontier powered monitors.

I have read every single post on this thread and learned a ton. Thanks to this group I made the jump to the M17 which arrived today. So thank you for the indirect support which was invaluable in informing my buying decision.

Question:
What is the best way to charge this beast. I will cap the charge via battery settings to 80% but was curious is it best to charge via DC or USB 3. If USB 3 which charger do you recommend. I own this one already so will this work?

(https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Durable-Compact-Included/dp/B099F558S1/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2Z3ZHF9H745A6&keywords=anker+20w+usb-c+charger&qid=1649985803&sprefix=Anker+2,aps,131&sr=8-5)

or am I better off using the small cube (original 5w) that came with my iPhone which isn’t fast charging capable. (I still don’t know for sure if I need fast charging as I am not convinced that FC doesn’t damage the battery and I need this battery to last.)

Thanks in advance for the input and I look forward to contributing to the group.

Richard
If you have it at home and, connected to the power supply, let it charge to 80% and then, I would recommend disabling charging.
Only top up the battery to 100% when you are going to take the M17 out. Quickest way to charge is via USB with a 45W charger.

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #3,548 of 5,703

Intro:

Question:
What is the best way to charge this beast. I will cap the charge via battery settings to 80% but was curious is it best to charge via DC or USB 3. If USB 3 which charger do you recommend. I own this one already so will this work?

Richard
welcome to head-fi :).

you can check the handbook, page 20:

8. What power supply adapter is suggested to charge the M17?
1. Supports QC4.0, QC3.0, QC2.0, PD2.0, PD3.0 and other fast charging protocols, if the adapter does not support the above protocol, it generally will not trigger the fast charge function. It is recommended to use 5V 1-2A adapters for non-fast charging adapters. After setting to UAC mode, inserting USB fast charging will not make it enter the fast charging mode.
2. Supports a 5.5mm diameter DC round head 12VDC charger to power the whole machine.
3. When the DC voltage is too high and exceeds 16V, the system will automatically disconnect the DC power supply.
4. When the DC and USB3.0 are plugged in at the same time, the system will detect whether the USB is a Fast charge, it will use USB to charge the battery if the USB is a fast charge.
5. When the M17 is in UAC mode, it will not enter fast charging mode.

-------------

As @viffer mentiond the 45W charger, I recommend this one from Anker: Nano II.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #3,549 of 5,703
About the recommended 80% charge.
This is because how batteries work. Think of it as two buckets, the empty bucket and the charged bucked, they are balanced at 50% anything over that either way estreses the battery, the more % either way the worse it gets. Hence, 80% charge and no more that 20% discharge is recommended to extend battery life.
I normally have the M17 on DC power at home and with charge disable. When I take it out for a full day, I charge it to 100% so that I don’t discharge below 20%. If out for a half day, I leave the charge at 80%.

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #3,550 of 5,703
:deadho

If you have it at home and, connected to the power supply, let it charge to 80% and then, I would recommend disabling charging.
Only top up the battery to 100% when you are going to take the M17 out. Quickest way to charge is via USB with a 45W charger.
Thank you, very helpful!

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #3,551 of 5,703
welcome to head-fi :).

you can check the handbook, page 20:

8. What power supply adapter is suggested to charge the M17?
1. Supports QC4.0, QC3.0, QC2.0, PD2.0, PD3.0 and other fast charging protocols, if the adapter does not support the above protocol, it generally will not trigger the fast charge function. It is recommended to use 5V 1-2A adapters for non-fast charging adapters. After setting to UAC mode, inserting USB fast charging will not make it enter the fast charging mode.
2. Supports a 5.5mm diameter DC round head 12VDC charger to power the whole machine.
3. When the DC voltage is too high and exceeds 16V, the system will automatically disconnect the DC power supply.
4. When the DC and USB3.0 are plugged in at the same time, the system will detect whether the USB is a Fast charge, it will use USB to charge the battery if the USB is a fast charge.
5. When the M17 is in UAC mode, it will not enter fast charging mode.

-------------

As @viffer mentiond the 45W charger, I recommend this one from Anker: Nano II.
Very much appreciated, the Anker is on its way. Cheers!

Apr 15, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #3,552 of 5,703
Second listening session with m17 and u12t, my most balanced iems.

Now I understand the hype on this dap, it may be the best piece of source gear I listened in the past 10 years of headfi.

Such naturalness combined with details and powerful sound. And the soundstage..breathtaking.

Bravo Fiio

@FiiO Nitpicking request: Any way to add an option to set how sensitive the volume nob is? Sometimes a very small movement of the nob results in 3-4 steps increase of volume so with iems buttons are more precise to change the volume. But I really like that nob :)

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #3,553 of 5,703
Anyone get those stickers for covering the buttons on the M17? I only saw one person on this thread that got it and my seller Audio 46 is still waiting to hear from Fiio.

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #3,554 of 5,703
Anyone get those stickers for covering the buttons on the M17? I only saw one person on this thread that got it and my seller Audio 46 is still waiting to hear from Fiio.
Yes, I got a set of 6 included with my order which arrived yesterday from Apos Audio (USA).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back