[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Oct 2, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #4,577 of 5,692
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #4,578 of 5,692
I'd rather have a super-stable system with full integration with the hardware than the shiny new version of android.
Sincerely, later verions have some silly requirements for app to read the SD card, and this is something that has to be fixed developer by developer, a chore.
Plus, i don't think that there is any encryption in these devices, am i wrong?

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #4,580 of 5,692
Do you have a tablet and / or a smartphone?
No i live in the rainforest and this message is the result of me sending electrons by manipulating a butterfly's wings so that cosmic rays hit the cable just right and thus form sentences.

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #4,581 of 5,692
In this case I don't understand your posting "I'd rather have a super-stable system with full integration with the hardware than the shiny new version of android."
Funny thing. A DAP is a normal HW player with Android as OS. A tablet and a smartphone is nearly the same thing.... you know.....your post is rubbish! The DX300 will no have any problems with Android 11. Currently we have Android 13. The M17 is based on Android 10. Where is the problem to upgrade the Android version towards Android 12?

Nearly all Tablet and Smartphone manu. worldwide will do an Android upgrade, but the mostly DAP manuf. will do not. Pls tell me, why?
Why is a tablet / smarthone lifecycle about 3-5 years, a DAP lifecycle 1 year?

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #4,582 of 5,692
In this case I don't understand your posting "I'd rather have a super-stable system with full integration with the hardware than the shiny new version of android."
Funny thing. A DAP is a normal HW player with Android as OS. A tablet and a smartphone is nearly the same thing.... you know.....your post is rubbish! The DX300 will no have any problems with Android 11. Currently we have Android 13. The M17 is based on Android 10. Where is the problem to upgrade the Android version towards Android 12?

Nearly all Tablet and Smartphone manu. worldwide will do an Android upgrade, but the mostly DAP manuf. will do not. Pls tell me, why?
Why is a tablet / smarthone lifecycle about 3-5 years, a DAP lifecycle 1 year?
Tried the DX320. It has newer android and touted as wonderful. Tried Neutron Player on it. Couldn't even go oversampling 8x going, it crapped itself. And no way to enable even DSD128. My old M15 has DSD128 and has no issue with it.
Found out, DX320 with its shiny new processor has capped power limits way below the M17.
This is to tell you, shiny new toy with shiny new OS isn't a requirement.
Perfect harmony and sync between hardware and software is paramount. Power limits, dissipation, hardware management.
DAPs work on android 7 and sound wonderfully. Going android whatever version isn't going to improve that NOR give it any measurable meaningful upgrade.
If you want to talk those streaming services, they usually work for a LONG time on older versions. And that is on their developers on on the DAP makers to keep compatible.
If you think a DAP can be made into reality with no accurate HW integration meaning it's far from just being a smartphone with an AMP and DAC slapped on, then i guess you can just buy a smartphone, buy a portable dac, and enjoy that.
Less cost, more shiny new OS. Tell me, what would improve on the M17 groing from android 10 to android 13?

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #4,583 of 5,692
@FiiO
Just heed our humble desire: please put an user-replaceable battery in the M17plus/ltd/v2.
The reason nobody has easily replaceable batteries on portable devices is that customers tend to use dodgy aftermarket batteries, then when they result in unreliable behaviour or destroy the equipment (or, rarely, start a fire), they make warranty claims.
@FiiO
Regarding this posting from iBasso DX300 thread
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...-1-03-available.958400/page-310#post-17171675

When can we see the latest Android version for this super thing M17? costs 1800 Euro?
I'm sure. The hardware can offer this. :wink:
What use is the latest Android on a music player? What is more, FiiO (and the other manufacturers) have to modify Android with their own audio playback system to prevent all music being re-sampled, both internally and from the USB, and other digital outputs. To create a new version of Android with that feature, they have to start all over again pretty much, which means months of development and testing. They are more likely to do this for new products that they produce, rather than older ones. Though, if the M17 is going to be around a few years, there is hope they might do it.

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #4,584 of 5,692
The reason nobody has easily replaceable batteries on portable devices is that customers tend to use dodgy aftermarket batteries, then when they result in unreliable behaviour or destroy the equipment (or, rarely, start a fire), they make warranty claims. What use is the latest Android on a music player? What is more, FiiO (and the other manufacturers) have to modify Android with their own audio playback system to prevent all music being re-sampled, both internally and from the USB, and other digital outputs. To create a new version of Android with that feature, they have to start all over again pretty much, which means months of development and testing. They are more likely to do this for new products that they produce, rather than older ones. Though, if the M17 is going to be around a few years, there is hope they might do it.
This is the battery inside the m17, they covered up the model number. Wish we had access to that so if needed in the future we could replace.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 20.28.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 20.28.19 PM.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #4,585 of 5,692
The reason nobody has easily replaceable batteries on portable devices is that customers tend to use dodgy aftermarket batteries, then when they result in unreliable behaviour or destroy the equipment (or, rarely, start a fire), they make warranty claims.

What use is the latest Android on a music player? What is more, FiiO (and the other manufacturers) have to modify Android with their own audio playback system to prevent all music being re-sampled, both internally and from the USB, and other digital outputs. To create a new version of Android with that feature, they have to start all over again pretty much, which means months of development and testing. They are more likely to do this for new products that they produce, rather than older ones. Though, if the M17 is going to be around a few years, there is hope they might do it.
Hi
In this video review at 22:41 you talked about the Japanese power supply for M17, said that it is better. Can you give a link to a store where such a power supply is sold and give the name of this power supply?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #4,586 of 5,692
Hi
In this video review at 22:41 you talked about the Japanese power supply for M17, said that it is better. Can you give a link to a store where such a power supply is sold and give the name of this power supply?

If you scroll down the comments in the video the link is there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-03-10-13-19-16_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-03-10-13-19-16_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 3, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #4,587 of 5,692

Alleluja, finally someone who gets that a DAP isn't a smartphone with a dac strapped on its back!
Still, i think user-repleaceble batteries sohuld come back. It's just so incredibly easier to replace them and have peace of mind!
Or maybe a tutorial and ability to order the internal ones from FiiO directly? A replacement kit?

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #4,588 of 5,692
Tried the DX320. It has newer android and touted as wonderful. Tried Neutron Player on it. Couldn't even go oversampling 8x going, it crapped itself. And no way to enable even DSD128. My old M15 has DSD128 and has no issue with it.
Found out, DX320 with its shiny new processor has capped power limits way below the M17.
This is to tell you, shiny new toy with shiny new OS isn't a requirement.
Perfect harmony and sync between hardware and software is paramount. Power limits, dissipation, hardware management.
DAPs work on android 7 and sound wonderfully. Going android whatever version isn't going to improve that NOR give it any measurable meaningful upgrade.
If you want to talk those streaming services, they usually work for a LONG time on older versions. And that is on their developers on on the DAP makers to keep compatible.
If you think a DAP can be made into reality with no accurate HW integration meaning it's far from just being a smartphone with an AMP and DAC slapped on, then i guess you can just buy a smartphone, buy a portable dac, and enjoy that.
Less cost, more shiny new OS. Tell me, what would improve on the M17 groing from android 10 to android 13?
The M7, M9, M11 also have power limitations, but this issue is not based on Android, it's an "FiiO thing". :wink:
I use Android since version 2, all my apps are working fine on tablet / smartphone, but ONLY the DAP's are making trouble (the FiiO app is one of the worst app I've ever seen ) but Android is not the showstopper (bad FW / app implementation by DAP manufact. are mostly the showstopper)..
Security patches are important or better Codec support (remember LDAC BT codec support is standard now in Android) for example.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #4,589 of 5,692
I
The M7, M9, M11 also have power limitations, but this issue is not based on Android, it's an "FiiO thing". :wink:
I use Android since version 2, all my apps are working fine on tablet / smartphone, but ONLY the DAP's are making trouble (the FiiO app is one of the worst app I've ever seen ) but Android is not the showstopper (bad FW / app implementation by DAP manufact. are mostly the showstopper)..
Security patches are important or better Codec support (remember LDAC BT codec support is standard now in Android) for example.
Have ldac on a m15 on android 7.0. So codec doesn't seem an issue. Usually thanks to chipmakers codecs end up being locked to new hardware, so android updates kinda are moot.
And for security, i can give you that it would be nice, but my m15 doesn't even support encryption, does the m17 have sd/microsd full disk/file based encryption with full metadata protection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back