FiiO Q7 Portable Desktop-Class DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #196 of 719
Are you going to review it soon?
Yes. Should arrive soon.
I can tell
Since the Q7 has absolutely identical specifications as the M17, with same 2xTHX amplification, I can judge that it will sound very similar, except that the M17 has two ESS9038pro dac chips, so the sound on it will be more refined. M17 has a fairly neutral sound signature with a sabre-type sound delivery, which is pretty detailed, technical, with great dynamics, but lacking a bit weight to note, density, softness, lushness...
I'd be surprised if there was a significant difference between having one or two DAC chips. I'll test and find out.

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #197 of 719
can judge that it will sound very similar, except that the M17 has two ESS9038pro dac chips, so the sound on it will be more refined.
2x9038PRO's are big overkills for a portable device. They are there not because they are needed but to avoid audiophile complaints about not having dual DACs of the highest grades, which is for sure not needed. A much simpler single 9068 would give the same result but people would complain about why it doesn't have the latest and greatest DAC.

Oct 5, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #199 of 719
Yes. Should arrive soon.

I'd be surprised if there was a significant difference between having one or two DAC chips. I'll test and find out.
If there will be no difference in SQ or very minor difference, then I will sell my 1750€ M17 for sure to someone with 30% discount and going to get new Q7 for 750€ (so 500€ will remain for me)... 🥳😂 It will be very strange if these two new devices (750€ and 1750€) with price difference about 1000€ would have the same SQ... 😅

Oct 5, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #200 of 719
If there will be no difference in SQ or very minor difference, then I will sell my 1750€ M17 for sure to someone with 30% discount and going to get new Q7 for 750€ (so 500€ will remain for me)... 🥳😂 It will be very strange if these two new devices (750€ and 1750€) with price difference about 1000€ would have the same SQ... 😅
It is not only about the sound quality, the M17 is running Android OS with a powerful CPU and a large screen.
Streaming services and all other apps are supported, not everyone likes to use an external USB DAC with his phone.
You are paying for the whole package.
As an example I strongly prefer a high end DAP rather than hooking a similar USB DAC into a tablet.
About sound quality differences we are going to find out in a short time.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #201 of 719
i think this is actually a portable k9pro than a m17 lite

Oct 5, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #202 of 719
It is not only about the sound quality, the M17 is running Android OS with a powerful CPU and a large screen.
Streaming services and all other apps are supported, not everyone likes to use an external USB DAC with his phone.
You are paying for the whole package.
As an example I strongly prefer a high end DAP rather than hooking a similar USB DAC into a tablet.
About sound quality differences we are going to find out in a short time.
In that case talking about Android OS , "Powerfull CPU snd660" which is almost 5years old now and not so powerfull at all😂, streaming services and so on...If I was a new customer, I would rather buy Q7 (750€) with dedicated smart device smth like Xiaomi Poco F4 (350€) smartphone with real futureproof flagman cpu snapdragon870, instead of 1700€ M17, if there would be no difference in SQ...that is my opinion... It is ridiculous for me personally to pay 1000€ more for M17 if there is no difference in SQ...

For 1000€ difference I can buy smth like new flagship smartphone, or gaming pc, or new oled tv...but it does not pay off having M17 instead of Q7 only for Android10 and snapdragon660 😂

Sometimes being audiophile is not far away from being audiofool :D

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #203 of 719
In that case talking about Android OS , "Powerfull CPU snd660" which is almost 5years old now and not so powerfull at all😂, streaming services and so on...If I was a new customer, I would rather buy Q7 (750€) with dedicated smart device smth like Xiaomi Poco F4 (350€) smartphone with real futureproof flagman cpu snapdragon870, instead of 1700€ M17, if there would be no difference in SQ...that is my opinion... It is ridiculous for me personally to pay 1000€ more for M17 if there is no difference in SQ...

For 1000€ difference I can buy smth like new flagship smartphone, or gaming pc, or new oled tv...but it does not pay off having M17 instead of Q7 only for Android10 and snapdragon660 😂

Some people don't want to have to tether an audio device to a smartphone (or computer) in order to use it. That's why DAPs exist. If you don't care about tethering, then yes - you'll get a much more economical setup with a DAC/AMP than you will with a DAP.

Also - I don't know why people still don't get this, but a DAP is NOT a smartphone. Just because it happens to run Android does not change that fact.

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #204 of 719

As I wrote earlier some people prefer an all in one device so they are paying for the whole package which is more expensive because everything is integrated in a single chassis.
Still your point is valid and I can definitely see a lot of people like you and this is why FiiO is releasing the Q7 because there is a market for it.
And BTW who said that high end is cheap or audiophiles are not "audiofools"?
You are one of them, you already own the M17 😉

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #205 of 719
As I wrote earlier some people prefer an all in one device so they are paying for the whole package which is more expensive because everything is integrated in a single chassis.
Still your point is valid and I can definitely see a lot of people like you and this is why FiiO is releasing the Q7 because there is a market for it.
And BTW who said that high end is cheap or audiophiles are not "audiofools"?
You are one of them, you already own the M17 😉
Yes, I admit that I am audiofool, where was my mind... 😅

Oct 5, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #206 of 719
Yes, these two products are indeed designed for two different user categories.

M17 is a high-end DAP + AMP, including a complete HIFI audio system; you don't even need to use it with other devices except headphones.

Q7 is a DAC + AMP, there are many places similar to M17, we designed this because M17 has been recognized by many users, such as you, it also has DC mode and large ear mode

You can choose M17 or Q7 according to your own habits, these two products are very good,

Current, all of the user reviews are very good :L3000: :L3000:

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 6, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #207 of 719
Get to know all characteristics of FiiO's #Portable DAC and Amplifier Q7# with one picture.

一图看懂-Q7-EN.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back