[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jun 22, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #3,361 of 9,288
@FiiO @audiophilefan Just had this same issue regarding the audio cut out while a song was playing again but this time it was on Spotify.

I was using the 4.4mm port as usual. I noticed @audiophilefan 's review mentioning him using the 3.5mm port exclusively so this is likely a firmware issue and not hardware related. I'm testing the 3.5mm port now myself in line out mode. Doesn't happen often but wanted to bring it to your attention.

@FiiO @audiophilefan Same audio cut out issue just happened when I was using the 3.5mm port in line out mode. Turns out pausing the music and resuming brings sound back. I think at this point, we have enough information to confirm it's firmware related and affects both local files within the FiiO music app and Spotify at least.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #3,362 of 9,288
Does anyone find the M11 vocals to be a bit recessed?

Jun 23, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #3,365 of 9,288
@FiiO @audiophilefan Same audio cut out issue just happened when I was using the 3.5mm port in line out mode. Turns out pausing the music and resuming brings sound back. I think at this point, we have enough information to confirm it's firmware related and affects both local files within the FiiO music app and Spotify at least.

Thanks for the valuable info! Now at least we're leaning more towards it being a firmware issue, particularly the Fiio Music app (if not within the operating system, ie Android). @FiiO more and more users are confirming the same observation. Kindly take heed.

Jun 23, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #3,366 of 9,288
I think we are still on firmware 1.1.1 in the FiiO app and build number 1.0.5.

The APKPure app shows that the FiiO app is at 1.1.2 but I can not update to it as I only have the option to open the app and I am unwilling to uninstall and reinstall trying getting the newer version.

Has anyone been able to update the app, if so have they seen any improvements?

Juj

I presume that the Fiio Music app in the M11 is specifically designed for the M11. It is similar to the Google Play app that everyone can constantly update in looks and features but thinking that it's built to be compatible with a stripped down version of Android 7 made me come up with this assumption. It is "tied" to the firmware and will only be updated "together with" the firmware. Unfortunately (or not), the Google Play version is more "updated" in a sense that it is now optimized for Android 9. That's two Android versions up BUT that app may not be optimized to run in the M11's Android 7. An educated guess but still a guess nonetheless.

Jun 23, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #3,367 of 9,288
Does anyone find the M11 vocals to be a bit recessed?

Nope. But also depends on where you're coming from. DAPs and phones with Wolfson DACs sound warmer (e.g. Lenovo K4 Note with Wolfson 8281). Texas Instruments sound cleaner (e.g. Fiio X1 1st gen, E12 Mont Blanc, A3 Kilimanjaro). No experience with ESS Sabre but they say it sounds richer. AKM sounds the most neutral/flat among them to my ears. To your experience, it may give you that impression BUT it may also mean that you're getting a less colored sound. Not that differences are huge but enough to be heard at first listen.

Try switching to HIGH Gain (if you're not in high gain already). Your earphones/headphones may need more drive, thus the recession. But as I said on my review, 99% of what you're hearing are your headphones. DAPs' FR are essentially flat (warmth or coldness just depends on the DAC used). Hope this helps, if at all. :)

Jun 23, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #3,369 of 9,288
I presume that the Fiio Music app in the M11 is specifically designed for the M11. It is similar to the Google Play app that everyone can constantly update in looks and features but thinking that it's built to be compatible with a stripped down version of Android 7 made me come up with this assumption. It is "tied" to the firmware and will only be updated "together with" the firmware. Unfortunately (or not), the Google Play version is more "updated" in a sense that it is now optimized for Android 9. That's two Android versions up BUT that app may not be optimized to run in the M11's Android 7. An educated guess but still a guess nonetheless.

Thanks for an Idea of whats going on, I am in no rush for an firmware update but hope that when its comes we'll all see the benefits:)

Juj

Jun 23, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #3,370 of 9,288
The issue when i’am playing wav files and the next soung is up a little noise is heared between the songs.
This issue is for me only with wav files not with hires files or flac files.

And i want to say the combination fh7 with m11 is an good match in sound and feel.

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #3,373 of 9,288
For the balanced 4.4 should I get cables with the 4.4 connector or get a 4.4 to 2.5 adapter and just have 2.5 balanced cables?
Since the M11 is kind of large, Not sure what would fit best in the pocket but also be the best overall.

I'm desperately looking for an M11 to replace my Pioneer xdp100r. My question is should I be?
I replaced my XDP-300R with the M11 and I'm happier now. I just enjoy having a similar smooth experience but with modern advantages like 4.4 balanced, USB C w/ quick charge, and a really nice screen that doesn't completely destroy my battery. Nothing wrong with my old DAP, and it would still get the job done, but now I'm just having a better overall experience.

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #3,374 of 9,288
For the balanced 4.4 should I get cables with the 4.4 connector or get a 4.4 to 2.5 adapter and just have 2.5 balanced cables?
Since the M11 is kind of large, Not sure what would fit best in the pocket but also be the best overall.

I replaced my XDP-300R with the M11 and I'm happier now. I just enjoy having a similar smooth experience but with modern advantages like 4.4 balanced, USB C w/ quick charge, and a really nice screen that doesn't completely destroy my battery. Nothing wrong with my old DAP, and it would still get the job done, but now I'm just having a better overall experience.
Mmmm, the Hugo 1 and 2 with a phone fits my jean pocket.

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #3,375 of 9,288
Mmmm, the Hugo 1 and 2 with a phone fits my jean pocket.
I guess it's just a personal problem since the M11 starts to stick out of my pocket wearing shorts. Pants is less of an issue. Figured the balanced connectors might be problematic since they're on the left.

Either way, would a 4.4 to 2.5 adapter make more practical sense than just getting 4.4 on the cables since I dont have any 2.5 cables to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back