[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jun 8, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #2,386 of 9,288
Ive been planning on buying the M11 as soon as it becomes available in Sweden so i can skip the awful taxes and toll we have here.
But all this talk about how volume is low over bluetooth is conserning.

Were we able to enter the Android Dev menu? Im thinking, maybe Absolute Volume is enabled by default?

Edit: Another thing that comes to mind.
Does changing AVRCP make any difference? Like if its default 1.4 change it to 1.6.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #2,387 of 9,288
To get enough power output , the gain is a little high and the hiss from balanced is a little higher than 3.5 single end. it is normal .

Thanks, good to have your confirmation!

This sounds to me like recorded hiss, not hardware hiss. If that’s the case and you’re not hearing it with other daps, it just means the M11/IEM combo you’re using is more resolving in the ‘hiss’ frequencies. This has nothing to do with noise floor, which is noise when no tracks are queued or playing.

No, I'm sure it's not the recorded hiss. Note that I said the hiss is audible after I "stop/pause" the music. Not when the music ends and in silent portion of the song. M11 has a 15sec timer (from what I can hear) to shut down and mute the output stage at which time the hiss goes away. This is not part of the file I'm playing.

Anyway, I don't mean to make a big fuss about it since <2ohm output impedance and <7uV noise floor for 2.5/4.4mm port is stated, so it is somewhat expected. Bottom line, when playing, the signal is far above the noise and with the excellent dynamics at high gain in balanced ports, I'm having a hard time putting this device down :)

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #2,388 of 9,288
i have tried...all of them

Ldac normal and priority
apt-hd
sbc
very disapointed that at 120 volume its not loud to me...via bluetooth
@FiiO

Gotta try bluetooth! Not that I will use it much on this heavy beast but I'm curious. My phone sounded louder than my ak, but the m6 sounds awesome. So I'll try it.

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #2,389 of 9,288
Would having an extra even lower gain setting help? Or would increasing the volume to achieve same loudness then result in the hiss being same? Just an idea.

It's not a deal breaker and the M11 is excellent value for money, but the hiss is more audible than with some other gear I have.

Maybe. Hey Thomas, I tested that Daft Punk track on fiio music and it definitely had more weight in the bass notes. On hiby music it sounded more leaner so I can understand that bass weight throwing things off a bit. I've been running this thing at night for poops and giggles and I do think everything has tightened up a bit.

Not night and day difference between the 2 apps but fiio app seems weightier on bass, and a bit richer in mids and maybe a touch more 3d?

This was without any eq or dsp effects on both players.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #2,390 of 9,288
Starting to have doubts on m11 blutooth compatiblities....

Just expected more when it slap
“hi res bluetooth” on box and device

Can anyone else clarify on there m11 on how bluetooth works for them?

The reason i got m11 is to have all my music

Still no reaponse from...
@FiiO

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #2,391 of 9,288
Seriously irritates me when I read statements like ‘significantly less’ and ‘night and day’ when we’re talking about something that’s barely audible even in the most extreme conditions. What are you guys listening with, oscilloscopes!?

Lol, sorry to have irritated you. I’m just sharing what I heard. I loved the M11 and I’m not here to trash it. It’s a forum and I’m giving my honest thoughts. There’s definitely an audible hiss that isn’t from track recordings. It isn’t a big deal to most people, but to some it is, so this information is worth sharing.

And I am saying significantly less because I can’t put this into a numerical value to express how much of it I can hear compared to other DAPs, so a general term which still gets the main point across works fine in my opinion.

If there’s anyone here that’s already looking at the M11 and its value for what it offers, I highly doubt some hiss is going to put them off from liking or buying the DAP.

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #2,392 of 9,288
I had a chance to try bluetooth this morning. I tried it with my Subaru car stereo and Jaybird X3 in default LDAC default mode. At volume 120, the output level is about the same from iPhone volume maxed out. So no issue there for me. I don't think I have any aptX device in our house so can't speak for that.

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #2,393 of 9,288
Lol, sorry to have irritated you. I’m just sharing what I heard. I loved the M11 and I’m not here to trash it. It’s a forum and I’m giving my honest thoughts. There’s definitely an audible hiss that isn’t from track recordings. It isn’t a big deal to most people, but to some it is, so this information is worth sharing.

And I am saying significantly less because I can’t put this into a numerical value to express how much of it I can hear compared to other DAPs, so a general term which still gets the main point across works fine in my opinion.

If there’s anyone here that’s already looking at the M11 and its value for what it offers, I highly doubt some hiss is going to put them off from liking or buying the DAP.

In the grand scheme of things the hiss is low compared to other daps. I can't hear it but my hearing could be degraded. And I believe you undoubtedly, and I also believe where I perceived no difference from m11 to dx220 and even liked the slight 'edginess' it had to the sound, you're monster 18 driver iems could spot differences between them.

Mine have one dd, a good one but just one :)

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #2,394 of 9,288
For the people with Hiss it might be helpfull for the devs to know what song, playback mode, ear phone and model. This might help the devs to see if there is a pattern here.

Hope this helps

Juj

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #2,395 of 9,288
After a day testing, I'm really not sure what to think of the sound signature. This is with my Sony XBA N3.

Too clynical maybe, too sharp.

Maybe I'm too used to a bit warmer sounding, tho "lower end" daps. Currently I own a FiiO X3, Walkman A35 and Cayin N3. All entry level daps, and all of them sound engaging and inviting.

This one feels impersonal, I didn't get any wow factor the second I put it on. The imaging is the only thing I really feel is an upgrade, it is more progressive, more coherent, specially in the middle. Is not that I found the player technically flawed, on the contrary, is quite too perfect maybe? Not organic.

Now I'm thinking maybe a ZX300 is more my cup of tea, if it retains that "Sony" sound.

I'm gonna let this one grow on me before I take a decision

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #2,396 of 9,288
I'm actually listening to Sony bluetooth headphones now. Sounds excellent! I have volume turned up to 106 and the earphones cranked. But I do listen loudly. I'll have to compare the m6 to m11. I don't feel like going downstairs to get it atm.

I thought I has wired hooked up and didn't even realise I was using bluetooth lol. Damn it sounded good. I'll try phone and m6 later.

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #2,397 of 9,288
After a day testing, I'm really not sure what to think of the sound signature. This is with my Sony XBA N3.

Maybe I'm too used to a bit warmer sounding, tho "lower end" daps. Currently I own a FiiO X3, Walkman A35 and Cayin N3. All entry level daps, and all of them sound engaging and inviting.

This one feels impersonal, I didn't get any wow factor the second I put it on. The imaging is the only thing I really feel is an upgrade, it is more progressive, more coherent, specially in the middle. Is not that I found the player technically flawed, on the contrary, is quite too perfect maybe? Not organic.

Now I'm thinking maybe a ZX300 is more my cup of tea, if it retains that "Sony" sound.

I'm gonna let this one grow on me before I take a decision

Give it a bit, let your ears get used to it. I believe it tightens up a bit down low and the highs smooth out a bit.

Could be just getting used to sound sig. I'm very fond of the Sony sound myself. Oh I read the last line wrong, thought you already had zx300. Zx300 especially on balanced is similar to m11. Very close, maybe Sony has a tiny bit more warmth but they are close to me ears. A slight departure from the Sony house sound.

Still highly recommended if you're not going to use android or stream.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #2,399 of 9,288
I listen loud and have not had to push volume over 70 on Sony XB950 via APTX, XM2 via LDAC Quality, Back Beat Pro via APTX, and TRN BT20 via SBC. Very loud on my end.

I was using Soby mdr EX 750bt a little gem I got on sale for 50 bucks. Maybe output is better on on your devices. I think Its close volume wise to m6. I don't care if I have to crank it up, as long as it sounds good. :)

And it sounded really good, even on that little cheapie set. Was listening to Jeff beck wired 2001 remastered.

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #2,400 of 9,288

This one feels impersonal, I didn't get any wow factor the second I put it on.

Thats the way Fiio DAPs sound like.You will like Sony or Cowon more maybe... .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back