[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jun 4, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #1,981 of 9,288
I agree with your assessment of wider soundstage, however for me the SR15 has more precise imaging. The bass response is noticeably tighter to my ears across different tracks and IEMs. Agree to disagree is suppose, as I can't judge your ears and you can't judge mine.

Ok how can it have more precise imaging with a smaller sound stage- wouldn't there be less space to image in? And what do you mean by tighter? Thinner? Quicker? I can tell a rick from a jazz with ease, and the volume, tone, and speed are correct on the recording. So I'm just trying to understand tighter. I understand soft and boomy, and slow attack, but the m11 only exhibits that if is played that way. If it's played sharp and quick, that's how it sounds.. there is no extra decay - I know that for a fact. So like I said I'm just trying to understand. Not trying to judge your hearing:wink:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #1,982 of 9,288
Ok how can it have more precise imaging with a smaller sound stage? And what do you mean by tighter? Thinner? Quicker? I can tell a rick from a jazz with ease, and the volume, tone, and speed are correct on the recording. So I'm just trying to understand tighter. I understand soft and boomy, and slow attack, but the m11 only exhibits that if is played that way. If it's played sharp and quick, that's how it sounds.. there is no extra decay - I know that for a fact. So like I said I'm just trying to understand. Not trying to judge your hearing:wink:

Precise as in each element is more clearly separated and defined in space. Not just where from L to R, but also depth. Especially in electronic music where elements frequently have different depth due to different reverbs used, you can more clearly hear how they're closer or further away. Similarly with multi mic recorded live stuff. I think people typically call this layering, but I'm not that familiar with the audiofool lingo.

Bass tightness or I might even say low end resolution. A good example is Daft Punk Loose Yourself to dance. There's a lot going on in the low end, with the kick and bass line occupying the same space in the mix. On SR15 it's easier to hear these different layers,on M11 they're more fused together.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying the M11, I think it sounds great and for the money it's a steal. But different sources are better at certain things and nothing is perfect.

Jun 4, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,983 of 9,288
Precise as in each element is more clearly separated and defined in space. Not just where from L to R, but also depth. Especially in electronic music where elements frequently have different depth due to different reverbs used, you can more clearly hear how they're closer or further away. Similarly with multi mic recorded live stuff. I think people typically call this layering, but I'm not that familiar with the audiofool lingo.

Bass tightness or I might even say low end resolution. A good example is Daft Punk Loose Yourself to dance. There's a lot going on in the low end, with the kick and bass line occupying the same space in the mix. On SR15 it's easier to hear these different layers,on M11 they're more fused together.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying the M11, I think it sounds great and for the money it's a steal. But different sources are better at certain things and nothing is perfect.

Now you're talking about resolution, and the sr15 was absolutely behind the m11 in that area in to me. The m11 sounds closer to se100 in that it has a bigger soundstage and positions things nicely, I can tell way easier where stuff is in 3d space than with sr15. I'll listen to the draft punk song, and see if I hear the congestion. but I think it might come down to maybe headphones and impedance, so many variables.

So at least I know what you mean, even if I don't agree :wink:

All these terms are pretty meaningless anyways unless everybody has the same hearing acuity, is using the same exact gear, and the volume is accurately matched.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #1,984 of 9,288
Now you're talking about resolution, and the sr15 was absolutely behind the m11 in that area in to me. The m11 sounds closer to se100 in that it has a bigger soundstage and positions things nicely, I can tell way easier where stuff is in 3d space than with sr15. I'll listen to the draft punk song, and see if I hear the congestion. but I think it might come down to maybe headphones and impedance, so many variables.

So at least I know what you mean, even if I don't agree :wink:

All these terms are pretty meaningless anyways unless everybody has the same hearing acuity, is using the same exact gear, and the volume is accurately matched.

Interesting, so we hear opposite things. With regards to the soundstage. Just to be clear: I'm with you that m11 sounds "bigger" and "wider", but for me at least SR15 is quite clearly more precise in that each element blablabla, I'm not going to repeat myself.

Anyway, just for completeness: I was doing everything volume matched based on Vrms measurements using PP8 and qdc gemini.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #1,986 of 9,288
Please name the reviewer/s that use terminology best suited for Dynamic drivers and transducers in general so that everyone can see who to ignore.
Soft bass?
Cannot do EDM?
That is their earphones.
I feel the same with soft bass....the +12 dB EQ has +6 dB more gain as the EQ of the M7 & M9, but I cannot feel / hear more bass if I use the (sub) bass controls of the EQ. Another EQ of my fav. music app and the EQ of AP80 is much better in this way...

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #1,987 of 9,288
Interesting, so we hear opposite things. With regards to the soundstage. Just to be clear: I'm with you that m11 sounds "bigger" and "wider", but for me at least SR15 is quite clearly more precise in that each element blablabla, I'm not going to repeat myself.

Anyway, just for completeness: I was doing everything volume matched based on Vrms measurements using PP8 and qdc gemini.

It is interesting because the first thing I thought when I heard m11 was, man this thing sounds like wm1a and se100 futura, both a little more than I like to spend on portable gear and both bested the sr15 in pretty much everything.

No offence to sr15 it's a nice compact unit that sounds great. But M11 sounded pretty much superior in every way, I assumed it was the higher output amp stage and lpf. I don't put too much stock in dacs. Tons of meaningless marketing rhetoric in the audio market, and really overpriced gear for the most part.

Btw Not that it makes a difference, but I used hiby music when I compared them.

Anyways I haven't listened to daft punk in ages and I had to download some, and I forgot how much I like their sound.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #1,988 of 9,288
I feel the same with soft bass....the +12 dB EQ has +6 dB more gain as the EQ of the M7 & M9, but I cannot feel / hear more bass if I use the (sub) bass controls of the EQ. Another EQ of my fav. music app and the EQ of AP80 is much better in this

Hiby music definitely has a better eq.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #1,989 of 9,288
Ok how can it have more precise imaging with a smaller sound stage- wouldn't there be less space to image in? And what do you mean by tighter? Thinner? Quicker? I can tell a rick from a jazz with ease, and the volume, tone, and speed are correct on the recording. So I'm just trying to understand tighter. I understand soft and boomy, and slow attack, but the m11 only exhibits that if is played that way. If it's played sharp and quick, that's how it sounds.. there is no extra decay - I know that for a fact. So like I said I'm just trying to understand. Not trying to judge your hearing:wink:

I just bought some NAD Viso HP50's, talk about soundstage and imaging. The best I have ever experienced from a closed back headphone. If I want to change the bass I experience then I change the headphones, I don't go and buy another DAP. The bass on the NAD's is much tighter and controlled than my P5S2's and no mid bass emphasis. A much more enjoyable listening experience across all frequencies. If I wasn't happy with the bass I had I wouldn't buy another DAP hoping to get a better experience, I would change the headphones.

The soundstage is much wider on the NAD's with better air and imaging. I don't think I would experience this major improvement buy purchasing another DAP and keeping my P5S2's.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #1,990 of 9,288
It is interesting because the first thing I thought when I heard m11 was, man this thing sounds like wm1a and se100 futura, both a little more than I like to spend on portable gear and both bested the sr15 in pretty much everything.

No offence to sr15 it's a nice compact unit that sounds great. But M11 sounded pretty much superior in every way, I assumed it was the higher output amp stage and lpf. I don't put too much stock in dacs. Tons of meaningless marketing rhetoric in the audio market, and really overpriced gear for the most part.

Btw Not that it makes a difference, but I used hiby music when I compared them.

Anyways I haven't listened to daft punk in ages and I had to download some, and I forgot how much I like their sound.

Just out of interest, did you use the "all to DSD" option at all?

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #1,991 of 9,288
I just bought some NAD Viso HP50's, talk about soundstage and imaging. The best I have ever experienced from a closed back headphone. If I want to change the bass I experience then I change the headphones, I don't go and buy another DAP. The bass on the NAD's is much tighter and controlled than my P5S2's and no mid bass emphasis. A much more enjoyable listening experience across all frequencies. If I wasn't happy with the bass I had I wouldn't buy another DAP hoping to get a better experience, I would change the headphones.

The soundstage is much wider on the NAD's with better air and imaging. I don't think I would experience this major improvement buy purchasing another DAP and keeping my P5S2's.

No you're absolutely right, different headphones are the way to go for getting the maximum change in the sound signature. It's the best place to spend your money. There are a crazy number of good inexpensive Chinese iems too.

Lots of great gear for a decent value.

The dap game, no you don't ever make out on that. There's always something newer and more shiney with more to play with. Most with higher prices and very limited if any sonic improvements.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #1,993 of 9,288
:fearful:

The Headphonics review

M9 and m11

'Both devices have a slow decay and a soft punch in the bass, which fits slow-paced and relaxing music such as acoustic guitar solos. However, both may sound congested with faster electronic music or rock, especially with dynamic IEMs.'

I'm using dynamic iems and this is BS. He also said the bass bleeds into the sub bass, I don't even know what to make of that statement. :thinking::laughing:
These guys are shills, plain and simple. So frustrating when these large disparities in sound are attributed to the daps and not the headphones/IEMs. In the case above they don’t even know what they’re doing or talking about.

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #1,994 of 9,288
These guys are shills, plain and simple. So frustrating when these large disparities in sound are attributed to the daps and not the headphones/IEMs. In the case above they don’t even know what they’re doing or talking about.
Wheres a Audio Reviewer University ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back