[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jun 4, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #1,968 of 9,288
737E58AA-7935-4209-AB43-CF1E40E5FBA5.jpeg

FiiO M11 and FH7 - a good match. Imho

Jun 4, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #1,969 of 9,288
anyone else run 300ohm (hd800s) headphones on m11?

I happened to try my HD800 (single ended) earlier today. Waiting on 4.4mm connector to make 4-pin XLR to 4.4mm adapter to go balanced.

My normal listening volume with CA Andromeda is 25. I had to crank this up to 80-85 to get a good volume. I would say that it's much better than direct out from phone/PC. However, compared to my desktop Yggy/GSX Mk2, I thought that the bass/low mids were muddy/loose, and lacked depth and air around instruments. My typical test tracks are Argerich/Abbado Beethoven Piano Concerto No.2, Michael Hedges Aerial Boundaries, Pat Metheny, Arch Echo, among others. I would consider M11 usable if I were traveling with HD800 (but I haven't traveled with it in a long time...). I do like the tonal balance of M11 (comparable to Yggy+GSX Mk2). My $0.02.

Jun 4, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #1,970 of 9,288
I happened to try my HD800 (single ended) earlier today. Waiting on 4.4mm connector to make 4-pin XLR to 4.4mm adapter to go balanced.

My normal listening volume with CA Andromeda is 25. I had to crank this up to 80-85 to get a good volume. I would say that it's much better than direct out from phone/PC. However, compared to my desktop Yggy/GSX Mk2, I thought that the bass/low mids were muddy/loose, and lacked depth and air around instruments. My typical test tracks are Argerich/Abbado Beethoven Piano Concerto No.2, Michael Hedges Aerial Boundaries, Pat Metheny, Arch Echo, among others. I would consider M11 usable if I were traveling with HD800 (but I haven't traveled with it in a long time...). I do like the tonal balance of M11 (comparable to Yggy+GSX Mk2). My $0.02.

what does an 4-pin XLR to 4.4mm adapter make it do?

Jun 4, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #1,971 of 9,288
what does an 4-pin XLR to 4.4mm adapter make it do?

4-pin XLR female to 4.4mm male adapter, to be precise. I can use this to run HD800 balanced out of M11.

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #1,973 of 9,288
Hnnnggggg.... Listening to my new @FiiO M11 with the iSine 20 on Cipher Cable to the Anker Lightning/USBC adapter. The iSine 20 seems to work better this way than using the M11's EQ. Oh yeah, this is good. Really good. So I have another set along with the FH7 to use with the M11 (and the Hidizs MS4) that sound really rich with this DAP.

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,974 of 9,288
I'm also really confused with reviews ok review saying the bass is soft and the unit can't do fast EDM or rock properly??

Please name the reviewer/s that use terminology best suited for Dynamic drivers and transducers in general so that everyone can see who to ignore.
Soft bass?
Cannot do EDM?
That is their earphones.

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #1,975 of 9,288
@FiiO

Few questions about the "all to DSD" option. I think it actually improves sound quality, so I'm not being critical, but the reason behind is not fully understood.

• What DSD format is everything converted to?
  • Where does this conversion take place? I gather the ProASIC 3 is an FPGA, so is this where the algorithm is ran?
  • The AK4493 is a single bit sigma delta modulator DAC, so why does converting to DSD (on the FPGA?) beforehand improve sound quality?
Appreciate the input.

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #1,976 of 9,288
Please name the reviewer/s that use terminology best suited for Dynamic drivers and transducers in general so that everyone can see who to ignore.
Soft bass?
Cannot do EDM?
That is their earphones.

It's my biggest criticism on this DAP as well. Bass is not as tight as other sources I have on hand (Mojo/SR15/m900).

Jun 4, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #1,977 of 9,288
:fearful:
Soft bass?
Cannot do EDM?
That is their earphones.

The Headphonics review

M9 and m11

'Both devices have a slow decay and a soft punch in the bass, which fits slow-paced and relaxing music such as acoustic guitar solos. However, both may sound congested with faster electronic music or rock, especially with dynamic IEMs.'

I'm using dynamic iems and this is BS. He also said the bass bleeds into the sub bass, I don't even know what to make of that statement. :thinking::laughing:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #1,978 of 9,288
It's my biggest criticism on this DAP as well. Bass is not as tight as other sources I have on hand (Mojo/SR15/m900).

Bass is not as tight ? I had the sr15 before this dap and I didn't notice any difference in bass response. Just that the m11 has a lot wider sound stage and pretty much better everything.

So the bass is looser? Because I can pick a lightning fast bass solo and it sounds as fast and tight as well, as fast and tight as it's supposed to. Also had the mojo, and didn't notice the tighter bass. This goes for all my iems and cans.

Any particular bass passage that you can share that isn't presented 'tight'.?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #1,979 of 9,288
:fearful:

The Headphonics review

M9 and m11

'Both devices have a slow decay and a soft punch in the bass, which fits slow-paced and relaxing music such as acoustic guitar solos. However, both may sound congested with faster electronic music or rock, especially with dynamic IEMs.'

I'm using dynamic iems and this is BS. He also said the bass bleeds into the sub bass, I don't even know what to make of that statement. :thinking::laughing:

No that classic is from Headfonics:

The bass bleeds into the sub-bass and I am eq-ing down some frequencies in the lows to reveal the sub-bass

That is one of the funnier lines I have ever read. 1st ,2nd and even 3rd level What?? going on right there.

Of course no track and IEM combo mentioned for the average user to listen to an experience... that bass bleeding into sub-bass or what freq was used to correct the odd poorly explained sonic event.

Jun 4, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #1,980 of 9,288
Bass is not as tight ? I had the sr15 before this dap and I didn't notice any difference in bass response. Just that the m11 has a lot wider sound stage and pretty much better everything.

So the bass is looser? Because I can pick a lightning fast bass solo and it sounds as fast and tight as well, as fast and tight as it's supposed to. Also had the mojo, and didn't notice the tighter bass. This goes for all my iems and cans.

I agree with your assessment of wider soundstage, however for me the SR15 has more precise imaging. The bass response is noticeably tighter to my ears across different tracks and IEMs. Agree to disagree is suppose, as I can't judge your ears and you can't judge mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back