[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jul 20, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #781 of 1,922
Unless you bump up the bass by 3 -4 db at 60hz (which on the Fiio M11 introduces distortion and where my Sony does not) they are lacking to me. No doubt there are other IEM's that are even worse in this regard, but why place such a large dynamic driver in the FH7 if it's tuned just to sit behind relaxing against the BA's in the FH7? The bass on these should be impactful, have plenty of deep extension that can be felt but alas, bugger all.

Jul 20, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #782 of 1,922
Unless you bump up the bass by 3 -4 db at 60hz (which on the Fiio M11 introduces distortion and where my Sony does not) they are lacking to me. No doubt there are other IEM's that are even worse in this regard, but why place such a large dynamic driver in the FH7 if it's tuned just to sit behind relaxing against the BA's in the FH7? The bass on these should be impactful, have plenty of deep extension that can be felt but alas, bugger all.
Unless you bump up the bass by 3 -4 db at 60hz (which on the Fiio M11 introduces distortion and where my Sony does not) they are lacking to me. No doubt there are other IEM's that are even worse in this regard, but why place such a large dynamic driver in the

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #784 of 1,922

Try a different tip perhaps? I did have some trouble getting a good seal when I demo'ed a pair yesterday. The FH7's bass felt good to me, much better than the TFZs I've owned and only a bit slower than my KSE1500. I don't like too much rumble though - the IER-Z1R has too much for me when paired with the DMP-Z1.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #785 of 1,922
Try a different tip perhaps? I did have some trouble getting a good seal when I demo'ed a pair yesterday. The FH7's bass felt good to me, much better than the TFZs I've owned and only a bit slower than my KSE1500. I don't like too much rumble though - the IER-Z1R has too much for me when paired with the DMP-Z1.
Actually I’ve been playing with the imr, eq down 2k and 4K has made a huuuuuuuge difference, soundstage gets more ample and bass breathes better making a nice environment

I do suggest the same, bass in the fh7 has such a nice rumble, I thought the dunu would be similar, but it’s way more mellow and smooth, which in its own parameters is amazing as well, I’m using spiral dots and the oem spin fits

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #786 of 1,922
I would speculate you're either a basshead or are not getting a proper seal, the latter being more likely. Try some different tips.

Jul 21, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #787 of 1,922
I would speculate you're either a basshead or are not getting a proper seal, the latter being more likely. Try some different tips.
I second that, because if he was getting a good seal, the FH7 has more than enough bass to satisfy even the meanest basshead.

That said I used to be a basshead and now appreciate that bass should never overwhelm the mids, be fast and textured, reach deep and have just enough rumble to add size and shape to the music above. I’ve only had the FH7 briefly, but can confidently say it does all of the above better than any IEM I’ve ever heard. Not only that, if you DO get a good seal, it does it better that my best desktop headphones that cost multiples more.

Won’t say more until I’ve had a proper chance to articulate my thoughts in the comprehensive review these IEMs deserve.

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #788 of 1,922
No way are these light on bass. If you think the bass is light, then try a different tip such as the foam ones that came with it or the bass tips. I found that for the Spinrites, even though are one of the most comfortable silicone tips, they're also worst for bass because they have a poor isolation and/or because of the smaller openings.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #789 of 1,922
Or you know...try the bass tips.

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #790 of 1,922
No way are these light on bass. If you think the bass is light, then try a different tip such as the foam ones that came with it or the bass tips. I found that for the Spinrites, even though are one of the most comfortable silicone tips, they're also worst for bass, either because they have a poor seal and/or smaller opening.

I agree 100%. I had a huge issue with lack of bass. Even though other tips worked with the FH5 for some reason the only way I get a seal is with Comply M tips. I would try all the tips you have because the bass on these is fantastic and plentiful.

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #791 of 1,922
That's the issue here, I am getting a good seal. I don't believe tips have a great effect on bass, moreso on treble reduction by applying smaller bores on the tips. Similar to those on the supplied filters. They don't affect bass, but treble.

I did search around and indeed by looking at graphs for the FH7 it clearly indicates the bass has been pulled back by Fiio, where as the FH5 is definatley stronger in this area.'
I am a basshead, I listen to music from genres such as RnB, Rap, Electronic etc. Those that say the FH7 has plentiful bass are in opposition to the findings on these tests, and may have never heard what plentiful bass sounds like.
There is a few tracks I enjoy listening to that have deep bass riffs in them and it is barely noticeable on the FH7. I tried my FH5 and it was clear as day!

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #792 of 1,922
That's the issue here, I am getting a good seal. I don't believe tips have a great effect on bass, moreso on treble reduction by applying smaller bores on the tips. Similar to those on the supplied filters. They don't affect bass, but treble.

I did search around and indeed by looking at graphs for the FH7 it clearly indicates the bass has been pulled back by Fiio, where as the FH5 is definatley stronger in this area.'
I am a basshead, I listen to music from genres such as RnB, Rap, Electronic etc. Those that say the FH7 has plentiful bass are in opposition to the findings on these tests, and may have never heard what plentiful bass sounds like.
There is a few tracks I enjoy listening to that have deep bass riffs in them and it is barely noticeable on the FH7. I tried my FH5 and it was clear as day!

Oh man, JH Roxanne would be great for you if you’re looking for layers and layers of bass detail (without overpowering the mids) and a very rolled off treble.

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #793 of 1,922

I had this same issue at first. My hip hop and electronics tracks sounded way better on the FH5 as far as bass goes. Once I found the right seal the bass was much better and more controlled. I thought I had a good seal with the tips l was using as they worked well with the FH5 but I was wrong. I never used foam tips before until the FH7 and it made a huge difference in the bass.

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #795 of 1,922
I will say that the FH5 is noticeably more pronounced in the bass region for sure, but the FH7 is more controlled. For reference, my go-to "bass" headphones are my Fostex TH600 which have a more extreme v-shape sound, but still well controlled. The FH7 are a step below that with a more mild v-shape, but still has a some of that bass boosted sound signature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back