[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jul 21, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #796 of 1,922
That's the issue here, I am getting a good seal. I don't believe tips have a great effect on bass, moreso on treble reduction by applying smaller bores on the tips. Similar to those on the supplied filters. They don't affect bass, but treble.

I did search around and indeed by looking at graphs for the FH7 it clearly indicates the bass has been pulled back by Fiio, where as the FH5 is definatley stronger in this area.'
I am a basshead, I listen to music from genres such as RnB, Rap, Electronic etc. Those that say the FH7 has plentiful bass are in opposition to the findings on these tests, and may have never heard what plentiful bass sounds like.
There is a few tracks I enjoy listening to that have deep bass riffs in them and it is barely noticeable on the FH7. I tried my FH5 and it was clear as day!
Oh I know all about plentiful bass. I started this journey as an out-and-our basshead, from V-Moda to the TH-X00 I’ve had them and heard them all. The bigger the better was my go-to.

Until I started appreciating dynamic range, and vocal purity, and understood the differences between bass quantity and quality. I started listening for bass bleeding into mids, and that became an instant turn off. I eschewed thick for linear bass, and paid attention to how the bass melded with the mids and balanced with the highs.

The FH5 was (and still is) about as good as it gets in terms of quality sub-bass, but the FH7 - graphs be damned - betters it still. Not in quantity, mind you, but in quality. It uses the extra size and speed of its driver to convey bass instruments and sounds far more realistically than the FH5. The bass may not be louder, but it’s bigger, more nuanced, more controlled, more textured, more subtle and refined.

Granted none of this might be important to you in the genres you listen to, but for what I listen to it’s probably - I daresay - better bass than any of my other headphones. And if you take a glance at my sig, you’ll appreciate I don’t make that statement lightly.

PS. My tips of choice: JVC Spiral Dot M. Perfect seal, perfect fit, perfect bass.

PPS. If you want balls-to-the-wall bass in an IEM for about the same price as the FH7, grab a pair of IMR R1 Zenith. Far from the most refined sound you’ll hear, but heck for big, busty, bold bass, I haven’t heard an IEM (or headphone) that touches it.

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #799 of 1,922
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed or not, but can anyone identify the brands of the tips that come with the FH7s? (aside from the Spinrites)
The vocal tips look like Final Audio tips with different theme/colour scheme.

Jul 22, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #800 of 1,922
Oh I know all about plentiful bass. I started this journey as an out-and-our basshead, from V-Moda to the TH-X00 I’ve had them and heard them all. The bigger the better was my go-to.

Until I started appreciating dynamic range, and vocal purity, and understood the differences between bass quantity and quality. I started listening for bass bleeding into mids, and that became an instant turn off. I eschewed thick for linear bass, and paid attention to how the bass melded with the mids and balanced with the highs.

The FH5 was (and still is) about as good as it gets in terms of quality sub-bass, but the FH7 - graphs be damned - betters it still. Not in quantity, mind you, but in quality. It uses the extra size and speed of its driver to convey bass instruments and sounds far more realistically than the FH5. The bass may not be louder, but it’s bigger, more nuanced, more controlled, more textured, more subtle and refined.

Granted none of this might be important to you in the genres you listen to, but for what I listen to it’s probably - I daresay - better bass than any of my other headphones. And if you take a glance at my sig, you’ll appreciate I don’t make that statement lightly.

PS. My tips of choice: JVC Spiral Dot M. Perfect seal, perfect fit, perfect bass.

PPS. If you want balls-to-the-wall bass in an IEM for about the same price as the FH7, grab a pair of IMR R1 Zenith. Far from the most refined sound you’ll hear, but heck for big, busty, bold bass, I haven’t heard an IEM (or headphone) that touches it.
I have noticed an importance of when recorded music was made and if the final output is vinyl or digital. Deep bass on vinyl is limited to the 'grove diameter'; to add more bass is to increase diameter and shorten time of the recording. Also a wider grove for more bass information on vinyl plays havoc with turn-table arm stability.

Today's recordings are very compressed and have little concern fora full dynamic range.

Music recorded as little as10 to 15 years is also very noticeable to me, and has little to do with an iem.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #801 of 1,922
I'm torn between the foam tips and the bass tips.

- Foam tips isolate better while reducing some brightness and gives great bass.
- I like the sound of the bass tips but they dont isolate/seal as well. I prefer the feel and convenience of silicone tips.

I want tips that will give me the best of both worlds. Has anyone tried hybrid silicone/foam tips for these? I'm looking at the Symbio W ear tips but they seem to be out of the Medium sized ones at the moment.

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #802 of 1,922

- I like the sound of the bass tips but they dont isolate/seal as well. I prefer the feel and convenience of silicone tips.

I want tips that will give me the best of both worlds. Has anyone tried hybrid silicone/foam tips for these? I'm looking at the Symbio W ear tips but they seem to be out of the Medium sized ones at the moment.
I recommend you to go one size down from your daily go to tips

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #803 of 1,922

Comply is actually not bad, but not the most comfortable.

I have the Symbio W and I think the isolate better than silicones but nowhere near foamies imo.

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #806 of 1,922
I tried this out of my desktop Massdrop Cavalli Liquid Carbon X. I'm not sure I realized any benefit other than being able to get the volume past 2 (on a scale of 1-10).
Thanks, anyone with a DAP that can comment on benefits? These are easy to drive IEMs, and my DAP (M11) is super clean, so wondering if the addition of an IEMatch is a solution looking for a problem, or if it has tangible SQ advantages.

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #807 of 1,922
Thanks, anyone with a DAP that can comment on benefits? These are easy to drive IEMs, and my DAP (M11) is super clean, so wondering if the addition of an IEMatch is a solution looking for a problem, or if it has tangible SQ advantages.

I think the theory is to get more dynamic range out of a device with a digital volume control ( by recovering bits lopped off in reducing volume). I can't speak to how this is realized in practice. Though I guess this is something I could try today when I get home out of my XDP-300R.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #808 of 1,922
I use iphone se for my source and using fiio btrik and q5 makes a big difference for music at volume. Beware of putting all 'your eggs in one basket' in thinking a good iem is the answer.to quality listening. Even the difference between btr1k and the q5 is very noticeable.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #809 of 1,922
For the first few weeks I had the FH7s I went with the reference tips and Comply foam tips (which is what I always used on my SE846s). I tried some of the FiiO tips and the SpinFits when I first inboxed them but none seemed to work very well for me. I was a confirmed foamie because the isolation really matters to me when commuting. Train noise, bus talkers, etc.

But last week I started experimenting. I switched to the treble boost filters and tried the FiiO balanced silicone tips. Really liked the filter change; not so wild about that tips. Yesterday I went to JVC Spiral Dot tips. The isolation is still not as much as I would like, but the seal is excellent and the sound quality is great...plus they are very comfortable to wear and not nearly as fussy to put in....no tip rolling. I'm going to try this for a week and then go back to the foams to see how they compare.

Overall, I really love these and they pair great with the M11.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #810 of 1,922
For the first few weeks I had the FH7s I went with the reference tips and Comply foam tips (which is what I always used on my SE846s). I tried some of the FiiO tips and the SpinFits when I first inboxed them but none seemed to work very well for me. I was a confirmed foamie because the isolation really matters to me when commuting. Train noise, bus talkers, etc.

But last week I started experimenting. I switched to the treble boost filters and tried the FiiO balanced silicone tips. Really liked the filter change; not so wild about that tips. Yesterday I went to JVC Spiral Dot tips. The isolation is still not as much as I would like, but the seal is excellent and the sound quality is great...plus they are very comfortable to wear and not nearly as fussy to put in....no tip rolling. I'm going to try this for a week and then go back to the foams to see how they compare.

Overall, I really love these and they pair great with the M11.
Glad you settled on there Spiral Dots. Those are my favourite tips by far. On the FH5 they 'just' give me enough of a seal. On the FH7 they're perfectly wedged in and don't move (even when I yawn - a good test for a tight fit). Now I can forget about tip rolling and just enjoy the FH7. By the way, what are your thoughts on the differences between the reference and treble filters. I've read a few reviews that suggest the treble filters just add more air and extension, but not brightness. Do they affect the bass response at all? I'm hesitant to switch from the reference filters because they sound so good; need some motivation to give them a try :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back