[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jul 27, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #826 of 1,922
The FH7 is like a baby Solaris, It does 80% of what the Solaris does at a 1/3 of the price.

That is the curse of this hobby and I suppose what keeps it going is those of us willing to shell out the extra money for the 20% improvement in performance. That said the Solaris is still pretty reasonably priced for what you get considering the insane prices elsewhere in the TOTL market.

Jul 27, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #827 of 1,922
That is the curse of this hobby and I suppose what keeps it going is those of us willing to shell out the extra money for the 20% improvement in performance. That said the Solaris is still pretty reasonably priced for what you get considering the insane prices elsewhere in the TOTL market.

I’m sure we can find an IEM that does 80% of what the FH7 at 1/3 the price.

ER2XR springs to my mind.

Jul 27, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #828 of 1,922
Don't worry so much, even with EQing and filter tuning I haven't achieve moving the FH7 to the Solaris levels. I tune by ear so maybe someone with measuring equipment might have a better chance but I highly doubt it.

Jul 27, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #829 of 1,922
Don't worry so much, even with EQing and filter tuning I haven't achieve moving the FH7 to the Solaris levels. I tune by ear so maybe someone with measuring equipment might have a better chance but I highly doubt it.

I'm not worrying I'm well aware that dramatic increases in cost in this hobby generally amount to comparatively minute increases in sound quality-- I just shelled out a bunch of money for a Sony IER Z1R for what I imagine will be at best subtle improvements on the Solaris in certain areas. I've accepted this reality of the hobby and am one don't mind paying the extra $$ to hit top of the proverbial mountain.

Jul 27, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #830 of 1,922
I own both the Solaris and the FH7 and the Solaris is better but fall to the law of diminishing returns. The FH7 is at a sweet spot right before it drastically has a drop(goes with many Fiio products). The FH7 is like a baby Solaris, It does 80% of what the Solaris does at a 1/3 of the price.
Everyone has their opinion, of course, but the 2 gentlemen I mentioned were intent on the Solaris and had their money ready. Interesting they went with the Fiio. I've heard both extensively and I'd take the Fiio irrespective of price. To be honest I don't rate the Solaris over things like the M9, or Andromeda. Interesting how price affects people's opinions on quality. I'm actually not too big on CFA products anyway. I personally think the only thing they've done worth it's salt is the Andromeda. The new Polaris and lo are pretty godawful. Bass mud seems to be a signature they do well. I made the mistake of buying the Dorado. But YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #831 of 1,922
Everyone has their opinion, of course, but the 2 gentlemen I mentioned were intent on the Solaris and had their money ready. Interesting they went with the Fiio. I've heard both extensively and I'd take the Fiio irrespective of price. To be honest I don't rate the Solaris over things like the M9, or Andromeda. Interesting how price affects people's opinions on quality. I'm actually not too big on CFA products anyway. I personally think the only thing they've done worth it's salt is the Andromeda. The new Polaris and lo are pretty godawful. Bass mud seems to be a signature they do well. I made the mistake of buying the Dorado. But YMMV and all that.
Agree everyone has there own opinion. But i don't think those 2 were so intent on buying the Solaris. If they were so intent to buying it they would have walked away with one. Its like people buying cars, if they are so intent on buying the car they want say a S class Mercedes no cars is going to fill that void while someone looking for the same comfort, class, gadgets (etc.) may be happier with a Lexus LS with more money in there pockets.

Audio is subjective so to each there own. This is why i never recommend the Solaris to anyone, I may praise them but never recommend. I do however recommend the FH7 because at the price point you have a hard time finding that same sound signature unless you go well past 2x the price.

Also I have the FH5 as well and I don't recommend the FH7 as a upgrade for them. There sounds are too different from one another. You'll be surprise about the amount of people "intent" on buying a FH7 and walking away with the FH5. To each there own.

Jul 27, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #833 of 1,922
I'd rate Andromeda (new acquisition for me) > FH7. @Colors, by the transitive property IEM ranking, it follows that Andromeda > Moondrop 8. :smile_phones: Please concur because the last thing I need is to buy another IEM ...

Andromeda > Moondrop A8 >> FH7

Although the Moondrop A8 is getting more listening time from me lately...the clarity is amazing.

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #834 of 1,922
That’s what I think too. You get 75% of Andromeda while paying like 40% of the price. Obviously SQ improves as you move up but for you don’t need worry about babying them, source matching, fit, hissing, etc.
I’ve auditioned Andromeda quite extensively, and personally I wouldn’t get Andromeda even it was the same price as the FH7. I simply prefer the sound signature and fit/finish of the FH7, and don’t find it lacking in any area compared to Andromeda (and better in some, especially bass).

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #835 of 1,922
Yep, except it’s not 20%, more like 5% to 10% tops. And the jump from Andro/Solaris to TOTL is probably another 5% or 10%. And yet many will prefer the sound/fit of Andromeda to one of the $3k TOTLs, just like some (myself included) prefer the FH7 to the Andromeda (or Solaris for that matter). That FiiO is even in the same conversation for $1000 less means either they’ve seriously overachieved with the FH7, or other IEMs are seriously overpriced.

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #836 of 1,922
I'm not worrying I'm well aware that dramatic increases in cost in this hobby generally amount to comparatively minute increases in sound quality-- I just shelled out a bunch of money for a Sony IER Z1R for what I imagine will be at best subtle improvements on the Solaris in certain areas. I've accepted this reality of the hobby and am one don't mind paying the extra $$ to hit top of the proverbial mountain.
Glad to see the myth of ‘more expensive = better sound’ is alive and well here :wink:

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #837 of 1,922
Glad to see the myth of ‘more expensive = better sound’ is alive and well here :wink:

Well on the whole it's true. There are certainly exceptions, and there are certainly many products that perform beyond their price bracket, but on the whole "more expensive = better sound" is true the considerable majority of the time. Maybe only a little bit better, and maybe not close to being worth the increase in price... but better nonetheless. The myth of the "giant killer" is just as pervasive imho. If there's one thing in this hobby that can match the desire for the best possible sound, it's the the strong desire to attain a shortcut to the best possible sound without spending the money to get there.

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #838 of 1,922
Well on the whole it's true. There are certainly exceptions, and there are certainly many products that perform beyond their price bracket, but on the whole "more expensive = better sound" is true the considerable majority of the time. Maybe only a little bit better, and maybe not close to being worth the increase in price... but better nonetheless. The myth of the "giant killer" is just as pervasive imho. If there's one thing in this hobby that can match the desire for the best possible sound, it's the the strong desire to attain a shortcut to the best possible sound without spending the money to get there.
Oh I’m with you. It’s true that more expensive ‘usually’ means better, and that giant killers are as rare as hen’s teeth. But there are exceptions, and notable ones too. For example it might seem strange to call the HD800 a ‘giant killer’ considering its giant reputation, but even being a decade-old design it easily slays some $3000+ headphones if that’s the sound you’re after.

Likewise the FiiO M11, at least compared to many $800+ DAPs (though that’s more of a ‘costs less but is still better’ example that a giant killer).

The FH7, for me, is a true giant killer only because it fits my sound and comfort preferences so well, that I wouldn’t buy 2-3x more expensive IEMs even if they were equally priced. Is it the last word in technicalities/capabilities compared to some $2k+ IEMs. Probably not, but I’ll bet it’s more comfortable and better built, which is 50% of the equation with universal IEMs, and I’m not one of those people who would spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for subtle sonic improvements.

I usually like to push right up to the point where diminishing returns fall off a cliff, and I think I’m just about there with all of my gear.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #839 of 1,922
Oh I’m with you. It’s true that more expensive ‘usually’ means better, and that giant killers are as rare as hen’s teeth. But there are exceptions, and notable ones too. For example it might seem strange to call the HD800 a ‘giant killer’ considering its giant reputation, but even being a decade-old design it easily slays some $3000+ headphones if that’s the sound you’re after.

Likewise the FiiO M11, at least compared to many $800+ DAPs (though that’s more of a ‘costs less but is still better’ example that a giant killer).

The FH7, for me, is a true giant killer only because it fits my sound and comfort preferences so well, that I wouldn’t buy 2-3x more expensive IEMs even if they were equally priced. Is it the last word in technicalities/capabilities compared to some $2k+ IEMs. Probably not, but I’ll bet it’s more comfortable and better built, which is 50% of the equation with universal IEMs, and I’m not one of those people who would spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for subtle sonic improvements.

I usually like to push right up to the point where diminishing returns fall off a cliff, and I think I’m just about there with all of my gear.

The Fiio M11 looks like an awesome DAP...the M11 Pro being demoed at CanJam right now sounds very interesting...more temptation lol.

Jul 27, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #840 of 1,922
I should be getting the FH7 tomorrow. I finally had to break down after my Dunu 2Kj wires finally gave out. I'll miss them but looking forward to a new IEM after 4 years LOL. I imagine that big DD will needs some hours of burn in. Any thoughts? (regarding burn in)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back