[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 26, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #601 of 1,922
I've been switching back and forth between the FH5 and FH7, since yesterday lunchtime, and my initial findings are always the same.

More presence, clarity, layering, 3d soundstage with the FH7. The bass is much more punchy and makes albums like Iron Maiden Peace of Mind come to life, which are certainly not my usual fair for general listening. Ie... heavy rock albums reveal

The bass is great as it doesn't cause other frequencies to become blurred out, so all the upper range details are preserved.

Going from FH5 to FH7 is like adding a subwoofer to the FH5 along with an improvement to clarity and detailing which improves instrument placement and timbre.
Very interesting. I think yours are the only impressions (that I've read so far) that place the FH7's bass quantity above that of the FH5. Even the measurements suggest quite a big bass drop between FH5 and FH7. I'm wondering whether it's a seal/fit issue, because the FH5 is shallower than the FH7 and also a different shape, and unless you get a perfect seal, the bass drops off a cliff. I can always tell when I don't have a proper seal with my FH5 when I press them in slightly during playback and suddenly the bass comes to life. With the FH7 being slightly deeper you probably don't need that extra bit of extension from the tips. I suspect that's what's happening here, but of course I don't have your hearing or your ears, just an educated guess based on all the other reviews I've read. I expect clarity and imaging to be improved in the FH7, as it should be at twice the price.

Jun 26, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #602 of 1,922
Very interesting. I think yours are the only impressions (that I've read so far) that place the FH7's bass quantity above that of the FH5. Even the measurements suggest quite a big bass drop between FH5 and FH7. I'm wondering whether it's a seal/fit issue, because the FH5 is shallower than the FH7 and also a different shape, and unless you get a perfect seal, the bass drops off a cliff. I can always tell when I don't have a proper seal with my FH5 when I press them in slightly during playback and suddenly the bass comes to life. With the FH7 being slightly deeper you probably don't need that extra bit of extension from the tips. I suspect that's what's happening here, but of course I don't have your hearing or your ears, just an educated guess based on all the other reviews I've read. I expect clarity and imaging to be improved in the FH7, as it should be at twice the price.

No idea why. It's just immediately apparent. Ive tried confirming the seal of the FH5's and it's definitely working. I'm using the same tips, comply comfort 400 or 500, i forget. I've not had a problem with the bass or SQ with the FH5's per se in the last 9 months or so of continued use, it's not like they've been wanting specifically, just the FH7's are very noticeably better, IMHO.

pic here showing both sets...

20190626_115328.jpg

Jun 26, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #603 of 1,922
Since two days an FH7 owner.

Initially I was rather disappointed, primarily about the soft attack, the slow transient response compared to what I'm used to (from Atlas and Andromeda). This has now radically changed, but not by itself. My trusty remedy is called equalizing.

FiiO X5 II EQ setting for FH7.jpg

The most striking weakness that has to be addressed is the lack of upper-treble energy above 10 kHz. With above ~10 dB increase at 16 kHz, combined with the zig-zag curve below, the sound has a unique quality and conveys an almost hypnotic sense of opulence in terms of detail, resolution, soundstage and refinement. Extremely smooth and transparent. Still not quite on the level of Atlas and Andromeda when it comes to tightness and impulse control, but much closer than expected after the initial impression. And the other qualities more than make up for the slight deficit – which moreover doesn't draw attention anymore once I'm captivated by the music, which is hard to avoid. Have I already mentioned the superb quality and extension of the bass?

So I now have a hard time to decide which is best: Atlas, Andromeda or FH7. Maybe currently it's the FH7, but the novelty effect may wear off a bit with time. I still have to try the green filter, though. Tips used are Comply Comfort 400. BTW, the silver-plated copper cable is of high quality according to my comparisons – hence no need to look for an aftermarket cable.

Bravo to FiiO – great product, great sound! Just needs some strong EQ to sound at its best; but which ear- and headphone does not!

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #604 of 1,922
I can see some of you guys have ier-m9. Can someone please do a quick comparison of fh7 and m9?
I have the ier-m9. I had to do a small modification to the silicone tip, punctured it with a pin to releave the vacuum effect which was always "sucking" my eardrum out and made m9 sound dull. Now that I modified it, it sounds awesome, I'm very curious how fh7 would compare to it.

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #607 of 1,922
Very interesting. I think yours are the only impressions (that I've read so far) that place the FH7's bass quantity above that of the FH5.

I don't have the FH5 as I was worried about the seal since they have a short stem but for me FH7 bass has been 'acceptable' at best and not a standout by any means. I like everything else about FH7, the vocals, sound stage, treble, fit and finish is great but the bass and in ear seal has been a bit of a disappointment. I have Bose Soundsport IEMs that have better bass and seal. Thephonograph review also says the Bass is good but not Basshead levels by any means which I think is correct.

Jun 26, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #608 of 1,922
It's not a basshead IEM, that means the bass is not meant to stand out. Quality and extension are excellent, though (to my ears), if you can live with a tonal balance striving for neutrality instead of sound effects..

Jun 26, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #609 of 1,922
I'm pretty much done. I'm at end game status. For me these have achieved what I was seeking which was to generally give me more of what the FH5 offers, but in doing so, I realise that they have moved me to a whole new level.

I'm not a big technical hifi nut, I don't tend to listen to facets of sound; I just like gear which makes me enjoy the music. You know, when you're listening to a track you know well and you get lost in there somehow, following a hitherto unnoticed bass-line or a piano comping in the background, or you notice seemingly for the first time the sheer beauty of the timbre of a solo cello or acoustic guitar. These have that ability in spades. The FH7s are so musical it's almost overwhelming. I was out on a walk with the dog just now and relishing each random track in my extensive "good" playlist as it came on. Then it suddenly occurred to me that I was listening to the music and not the gear and that's how it should be.

Thanks @FiiO , you have a really great product here.

Jun 26, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #610 of 1,922
I'm pretty much done. I'm at end game status. For me these have achieved what I was seeking which was to generally give me more of what the FH5 offers, but in doing so, I realise that they have moved me to a whole new level.

I'm not a big technical hifi nut, I don't tend to listen to facets of sound; I just like gear which makes me enjoy the music. You know, when you're listening to a track you know well and you get lost in there somehow, following a hitherto unnoticed bass-line or a piano comping in the background, or you notice seemingly for the first time the sheer beauty of the timbre of a solo cello or acoustic guitar. These have that ability in spades. The FH7s are so musical it's almost overwhelming. I was out on a walk with the dog just now and relishing each random track in my extensive "good" playlist as it came on. Then it suddenly occurred to me that I was listening to the music and not the gear and that's how it should be.

Yeah but have you heard the Legend X? I joke. Maybe.

I agree with what you said. There are a couple sets I'm going to try but I think this is, generally, the sound I want.

Jun 26, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #611 of 1,922

That's exactly what I'm after for my mobile rig. I'm there with my desktop, and even though there's 'better' desktop gear out there, I don't care because what I have is perfect for what I need. I was *almost* there with the M9, now I'm there with the M11. I'm *almost* there with the FH5, and while I'm experimenting with a few options, the FH7 seems to be a good bet as the final stop before the "summit" (which is unattainable, like the Legend X). Once I get the FH7 I'll know for sure... (and even when I do I'll likely keep the FH5 because by all accounts, I'm never going to want to give up my beautiful silver subwoofers).

Jun 26, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #613 of 1,922
No idea why. It's just immediately apparent. Ive tried confirming the seal of the FH5's and it's definitely working. I'm using the same tips, comply comfort 400 or 500, i forget. I've not had a problem with the bass or SQ with the FH5's per se in the last 9 months or so of continued use, it's not like they've been wanting specifically, just the FH7's are very noticeably better, IMHO.

pic here showing both sets...

Hi, just wondering if you have the exact model/info for the comply? Looking at it online and there are couple of choices. Played around with all the ear tips and feel like it’s off. Best sounding and fit out-of-box is the memory foam and not that comfortable. Guess comply might give me a better fit. Thanks!

Jun 26, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #614 of 1,922
Liked the way the FH7 sounded at the show. Should have a unit in soon to do more extensive listening.

Have the FH5, and use it often when I'm looking to relax with a fun punchy sound.
Complete unrelated to this thread but I love your profile picture. Kaede is amazing

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #615 of 1,922
Hm...the Campfire Audio Marshmallow tips are nice on these IEMs too...I use with the reference filter.

Not sure why but I keep going back to the reference filter despite all the filter swapping. Probably has the best guitar bite to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back