[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 28, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #631 of 1,922
Sorry for my english but I use a translator. I'm thinking about buying andromed or fiio fh7. Could someone write what would be a better choice or write a comparison? Thank you.
I did exactly this comparison this even during my 2-hour relaxation on the balcony, with FiiO X5 II, Hugo M Scaler, Hugo₂ and a Science-Fiction book in front of me on the table.

10307349.jpg

If you want the FH7 because you like what you read on this thread, you're on the right track. It's a highly musical IEM with a pleasing if not even spectacular sound, despite the relatively neutral tonal balance.

Now the problem with my comparison is that I never listen to my earphones with their factory settings, I always try to equalize them to what I perceive as a neutral sound with good extension to both frequency extremes. So keep that in mind.

Particularly since the Andromeda needs quite a bit stronger corrections than the FH7, but compensates for that in the form of an ultra-clean sound with horrendous transient speed. The upper treble is slighty emphasized, a strong contrast to the FH7's drop-off there. However, both flaws can be satisfyingly fixed via the X5 II's equalizer. Better than the slight low-bass deficit with the Andromeda. That said, if the FiiO players' equalizer would allow for more than +/– 6 dB or provide one more EQ band below 31 Hz, it would be possible to bring the low bass to the level of the FH7 – and maybe a comparable «musicality» and «muscularity». BTW, the Atlas is a strong contender for the FH7 as well, particularly in this aspect.

Here's a comparison of the used compensation curves to give you an impression of the tonal balances with the respective «factory settings» (according to my subjective perception):

10311964.jpg
FiiO X5 II EQ setting for Andromeda.jpg
FiiO X3 II EQ setting for Atlas.jpg

Considering the price I would consider the FH7 the most interesting option, particularly due to its outstanding musicality. The Andromeda on the other hand has outstanding «technical» qualities that may even exceed the FH7's level, but it's more of an intellectual than a sensual delight (although of course it's nevertheless highly musical as well). The Atlas may be something in between the two, with a bass similar to the FH7 – in both quality and extension – and an impuslivity even slightly superior to the Andromeda's (this with equalizing!). Unfortunately it's on the way to CA right now – just because of a lost «button» (to be seen on the first picture).

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #632 of 1,922
V30 phone, open filter green seal, comply ts400 comfort, large.

Just bought the TS400 and it does smooth over the treble a bit, improves isolation significantly and is very comfortable.

Also, put on my custom pure silver cable and it really adds more clarity, not to mention it’s extremely soft and pliable and more comfortable.

8149E545-26CC-439D-8BB3-029B86B34A97.jpeg

Still using the reference filter, going to test the treble one.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #633 of 1,922
Wow...I can hear a third voice listening to Let Down - Radiohead. I’ve never heard this before with any previous IEMs >.>;

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #636 of 1,922
The Atlas may be something in between the two, with a bass similar to the FH7 – in both quality and extension – and an impuslivity even slightly superior to the Andromeda's (this with equalizing!)

I have Atlas and FH7, and the bass doesn't compare at all. Atlas is MUCH TOO bassy for my tastes and overpowers the mids, at least on most tracks. The FH7 is a great all-rounder, the Atlas is great for those tracks / genres where you want a lot of bass...and I mean A LOT! I'm using the M11 as my source, so system-wide eq isn't available and most of my listening is through Tidal or Qobuz so it is too much work to eq the Atlas. If I'm listening to something on my SD card via the Hiby music app, then I have a good eq that I use to drop the 125 band for the Atlas that makes it sound really nice. I'd say i'm 80% FH7 and 20% Atlas at this point, which is a shame given that I spent nearly twice as much on the Atlas.

No regrets though, I like being able to switch it up now and then and they sound different enough to give me a unique and enjoyable experience with either one.

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #637 of 1,922
I have Atlas and FH7, and the bass doesn't compare at all. Atlas is MUCH TOO bassy for my tastes and overpowers the mids, at least on most tracks. The FH7 is a great all-rounder, the Atlas is great for those tracks / genres where you want a lot of bass...and I mean A LOT! I'm using the M11 as my source, so system-wide eq isn't available and most of my listening is through Tidal or Qobuz so it is too much work to eq the Atlas. If I'm listening to something on my SD card via the Hiby music app, then I have a good eq that I use to drop the 125 band for the Atlas that makes it sound really nice. I'd say i'm 80% FH7 and 20% Atlas at this point, which is a shame given that I spent nearly twice as much on the Atlas.

No regrets though, I like being able to switch it up now and then and they sound different enough to give me a unique and enjoyable experience with either one.
One correction - you CAN get system-wide EQ on the M11. Look for RE:EQ on the Aurora Store (or elsewhere). Nice impressions of the FH7...FiiO is really showing that higher cost is not always a sign of higher quality in audio...

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #638 of 1,922
One correction - you CAN get system-wide EQ on the M11. Look for RE:EQ on the Aurora Store (or elsewhere). Nice impressions of the FH7...FiiO is really showing that higher cost is not always a sign of higher quality in audio...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out RE:EQ!

Jun 29, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #639 of 1,922
Just had a demo with the Meza Audio Rai Penta.

The Fiio is a fantastic headphone for the price. £450 for the Fiio and £970 for the Meza. I'm no audiophile, but value wise the fiio wins hands down.

To me overall the Meza is better sounding than the Fiio especially when it comes to the highs. The Meza is warmer and lush, while the fiio is a little bright for my ears. Bass on both is awesome. The mids to me is where the Meze wins. I was using my SP1000 and Hugo2.

I'll be returning the Fiio and keeping the Meze.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #640 of 1,922
Just had a demo with the Mezza Audio Rai Penta.

The Fiio is a fantastic headphone for the price. £450 for the Fiio and £970 for the Mezza. I'm no audiophile, but value wise the fiio wins hands down.

To me overall the Mezza is better sounding than the Fiio especially when it comes to the highs. The Mezza is warmer and lush, while the fiio is a little bright for my ears. Bass on both is awesome. The mids to me is where the Meze wins. I was using my SP1000 and Hugo2.

I'll be returning the Fiio and keeping the Meze.
What about detail and instrument separation? I’m actually looking at the pentas for end game

Jun 29, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #642 of 1,922
What about detail and instrument separation? I’m actually looking at the pentas for end game

It's close, but the Meze nudges ahead a little in everything. Like I said, If I wanted to spend less than £900, then the Fiio wins hands down. Nothing I've heard in the £600 and under can beat the Fiio.

For me the Meza is also more comfortably, and because of the warmer signature I can wear it for hours without fatigue. The Fiio on certain songs will require me to turn the vol down a bit(not a bad thing) and it's bigger, so hurts after a few hours of wearing it. Not so with the Meza, it's so light and comfortable I sometimes forget it's in my ear.

That to me is probably the main reason I'm going to be keeping the Meza.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #644 of 1,922
It's close, but the Penta nudges ahead a little in everything. Like I said, If I wanted to spend less than £900, then the Fiio wins hands down. Nothing I've heard in the £600 and under can beat the Fiio.

For me the Mezza is also more comfortably, and because of the warmer signature I can wear it for hours without fatigue. The Fiio on certain songs will require me to turn the vol down a bit(not a bad thing) and it's bigger, so hurts after a few hours of wearing it. Not so with the Mezza, it's so light and comfortable I sometimes forget it's in my ear.

That to me is probably the main reason I'm going to be keeping the Mezza.

Just to clarify, is Meze Audio, not Mezza.

Jun 30, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #645 of 1,922
Finally found my ideal setup:

Treble filters + Comply TS400 + pure silver balanced cable + XDP300R

Extreme vocal detail, defined treble and tight bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back