[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #481 of 1,922
using the default fiio music app
OK, so what exactly happens? Is the volume always at the same level? If you rotate the volume wheel, what happens? Does this only happen with the FH-7, or with other headsets too?

For me, the combination works fine as I said.

Jun 20, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #482 of 1,922
But if you are using an iphone, the best codec you can use with the es100 is AAC, correct? Try es100 with LDAC or even aptx and see if your comparison changes.

I’m not sold on AAC vs LDAC (I don’t dig the gold “Hi-Fi” marketing stickers). On an iPhone device, AAC presents “near-CD quality” sound which is probably already 'beyond' my perception. (AAC implementations on many Android devices is a joke..)

However, there is something about the ES100 sound that some people, including me, just don’t like. I’ve heard it described as “too forward” and, personally, I’d call it flat and lifeless - and yet it’s either not “tonal” or I’ve failed to adjust the ES100 EQ sufficiently in multiple attempts. Turning off the crossfeed definitely helped, and yet still..

Consider that I like enjoy the Valhalla 2 + blueMe setup more even though it’s only SBC from my iPhone. The latter feels significantly more energetic, even though a similar AK DAC is used (albeit going through a tube-toaster AMP). I’m hoping that the W5’s ES9218P DAC presents a different profile than the ES100 as many Saber DAC devices have highly rated (subjective) audio output.

YMMV: I’m simply not impressed by the ES100’s sound ‘signature’ and paper numbers don’t (well, shouldn't) change my perception of such. If someone else loves the ES100, that's great - just not much value for me :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #483 of 1,922
Anyone know why FH7 + M11 the volume doesn't work? its always same volume from 0-120
Are you using line-out instead of headphone out? Line-out is a constant signal.

Jun 20, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #485 of 1,922
Ok guys update on Bass and sibilance...

I have been spending a lot of time playing with these FH7s. I have discovered a few things. The seal on these with my ears is super picky. This is the most difficulty I have had with IEMs since my Sennheizer IE80s.
I have tried all the included tips, and all of the other tips I have acquired over the years from Sennheizer’s to Soundmagic. I am not a big fan of using Foam as they tend to change the sound and are not as convenient to insert so I did t even bother trying them. Something told me to give them a go and as soon as I popped on my Comply tips , the bass response was finally what I was expecting. The sound was much fuller on all tracks not just the EDM. Now I am getting the sound stage and the fullness of sound that was lacking before.

Now onto the sibilance. I was able to get 99 percent of it gone. With the right tips and the bass filter on I don’t hear it on Norah Jones or anything else with the exception of 1 track which seems to be an issue with that track. It is not as noticeable on other pairs of headphones but Inrhink the FH7 are a bit more revealing that the other pairs I have and more bright causing this to stick out.

So as of now I am extremely happy with the FH7 and will continue to test and report back if anything changes.

I also wanted to mention that I started using my Dragonfly Red as the DAC just out of convenience but I am not convinced that this made a huge difference in what I was hearing.

Thanks for letting me ramble on :)

Jun 20, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #486 of 1,922
Okay I tried JVC spiral dot M size tips and they are nice but my ear canal is too deep to get a good seal. I am sold on spiral dot over foam/comply/silicon tips as Spiral dots gets the best sound quality while preserving the highs(treble).

Can anyone recommend a Spiral dot tip that has a longer stem and is compatible with Fiio FH7?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #487 of 1,922
I tried the bass filter and it was too dark. I also tried the treble filter which I found was excessively bright. My favourite filter by far is the reference. Everything sounds much more balanced. Vocal positioning is perfectly centred. Not too far back or forward. Stage has good width and separation between the frequencies is really nicely spaced out. Solid imaging. No sibilance to my ears unlike the treble filter.

I also tried the JVC dots which I felt were too messy and muddy. Sticking with the stock one that came with the earphone for now.

Will try pure silver cable soon.

Jun 21, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #488 of 1,922
Okay I tried JVC spiral dot M size tips and they are nice but my ear canal is too deep to get a good seal. I am sold on spiral dot over foam/comply/silicon tips as Spiral dots gets the best sound quality while preserving the highs(treble).

Can anyone recommend a Spiral dot tip that has a longer stem and is compatible with Fiio FH7?
I run with large Spiral Dots (actually, I take "L" for any silicon tip), creating a seal on the outside/start of the ear canal. Having a really good seal is more important than depth, although if one can have both... Ears are so funny, and the 'rounder' shape of the Spiral Dots or Type E fit me much better than more of the 'bullet shaped' tips. Type E, Spinfit, and EX11 are some examples than can 'extend' nozzles, depending on ear shape (and they have very different characteristics; the EX11 are might be the most similar to Spiral Dots in transparency, although I find them too bright). The Type E create the best natural seal on my ears, although the sound signature is not to my preference 80% of the time.

That said, "best" really depends on many factors (including filters) - find what makes the current audio stack and music sound "best" to you. I'd say it's cheap or fast to figure out .. except that probably isn't true :p An important thing to keep in mind is they are your tips (and ears), and tips can be selected/altered to improve your music listen experience! Currently I'm playing with some Sugru .. ahaha, "moldable glue" they say.

Even though my first choice is (currently) Spiral Dots, some songs I listen to really do sound better with other tips and there are definitely some compromises: Björk = Spiral Dots, Imagine Dragons = Type E. Also, I've gone through so many "first choice" tips as I've found specific tips for specific applications that I enjoy better. Happy tip rolling!

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #489 of 1,922
OK, so what exactly happens? Is the volume always at the same level? If you rotate the volume wheel, what happens? Does this only happen with the FH-7, or with other headsets too?

For me, the combination works fine as I said.

yes volume wheel does nothing to change volume like I said, and volume works fine on my pc,tablet etc but not on fiio m11

but my shure 846 does the same, the volume works on m11, and I even used the same cables with fh7 and 846

Are you using line-out instead of headphone out? Line-out is a constant signal.

I mean theres only 1 3.5mm socket..so I assume its the same

my shure 846 has no problem with volume adjustments on m11 and I even used same cables with fh7 and 846

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #491 of 1,922
There's a setting inside the M11 to switch the 3.5mm output between line-out and headphone-out. Make sure its set to headphone-out

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #493 of 1,922
Except if it’s in LO mode wouldn’t it blow his head off?

I've given up trying to work out what people's listening levels are :wink: All I know is that mine are usually considered to be pretty quiet.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #494 of 1,922
I've given up trying to work out what people's listening levels are :wink: All I know is that mine are usually considered to be pretty quiet.
Mine vary depending on mood, but on the whole I try listen to IEMs at a lower volume than headphones because they’re far more dangerous to your hearing. Helps to have IEMs that are very resolving and also weighty enough at low volume to give the sound some body.

My point above was that if he’s listening using LO instead of headphone out the amp is maxed out and will likely blow his IEMs, hearing or both (unless he has variable volume on LO enabled which doesn’t seem to be the case here). There’s a warning message that pops up when going into LO mode for a reason.

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #495 of 1,922
I strayed from my bass-tip / reference nozzle to bass-tip / treble nozzle for a few days. At first I thought it was an improvement (I thought the highs were crisp and fine), but after a while I began to miss the bass thump and returned to my original configuration. Just a FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back