[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 21, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #496 of 1,922
I think you may have misunderstood what balanced ouput actually does... which is... nothing! Effectively anyway. While there was some reasoning behind making balanced amps 10 or more years ago when the electronics available were more limited, and greater power for headphones might have had some benefit, nowadays, in portable devices it is mostly just for marketing. If in a device, such as the M11, they use different circuits for the SE and balanced output, there may be a small difference in the sound only. It's very easy to be fooled into thinking an increase in loudness is an increase in performance. But heck, if you buy a DAP with a balanced output, you may as well use it.

Anyway... more importantly, here's my review:

Enjoyed your review and comparison to the Solaris. I'll be trying the FH7 this weekend for the first time, and brought my Solaris and Phantoms with me to compare. Terrific information as always!

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #497 of 1,922
Just received mine and as of now listening through single ended output on a pioneer xdp300r and im absolutely awestruck.

I wasn't ready for its subbass.. never thought I'd ever experience home theater like rumble in IEMs.

Can't wait to get my M11 to go with it on Monday.

pure joy

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #499 of 1,922
Bought my first set of CIEMs for commuting on the Tube and it worked great for isolation, but did nothing against the persistent invasion of my personal space, the smell, the soot, the heat (oh, the Piccadilly Line is getting airconditioning when?!). :p The only downside of leaving London is that I miss the lovely Gisele (audiologist of Aid2Hearing). Always good to have someone like her close by. :D

Picadilly line gets that natural soot filled tunnel air conditioning, what are you talking about? :grin: Which CIEMs did you go for?

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #502 of 1,922
yes volume wheel does nothing to change volume like I said, and volume works fine on my pc,tablet etc but not on fiio m11

but my shure 846 does the same, the volume works on m11, and I even used the same cables with fh7 and 846

I mean theres only 1 3.5mm socket..so I assume its the same

my shure 846 has no problem with volume adjustments on m11 and I even used same cables with fh7 and 846
Well, it's a mystery. I can think of no reason why one set of IEMs would make the volume control behave any differently than another. I can't imagine any way in which they would interact.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #503 of 1,922
Hey everyone! Any comparison between the Fiio FH7 and the BGVP DM7? Choosing which of the two to buy is driving me crazy! heheheh
Look at
I run with large Spiral Dots (actually, I take "L" for any silicon tip), creating a seal on the outside/start of the ear canal. Having a really good seal is more important than depth, although if one can have both... Ears are so funny, and the 'rounder' shape of the Spiral Dots or Type E fit me much better than more of the 'bullet shaped' tips. Type E, Spinfit, and EX11 are some examples than can 'extend' nozzles, depending on ear shape (and they have very different characteristics; the EX11 are might be the most similar to Spiral Dots in transparency, although I find them too bright). The Type E create the best natural seal on my ears, although the sound signature is not to my preference 80% of the time.

Thanks, I could not find L sized tips on Amazon. There were only M and MS tips, so got M. Found some on Penonaudio so will try those.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #504 of 1,922
Well, it's a mystery. I can think of no reason why one set of IEMs would make the volume control behave any differently than another. I can't imagine any way in which they would interact.
It depends on the cable, some are designed to work with apple only. I've had those and on Android and a PC it behaves exactly as you described.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #505 of 1,922
It depends on the cable, some are designed to work with apple only. I've had those and on Android and a PC it behaves exactly as you described.
But he’s not using an Apple-only cable, and he claims that his Shure 846s work fine using the same cable...

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #506 of 1,922
But he’s not using an Apple-only cable, and he claims that his Shure 846s work fine using the same cable...

I guess a) I should read more thoroughly, and b) perhaps the circuitry may actually be in the IEM which is extremely unlikely.

But as Sherlock Holmes said

“How often have I said that when you have excluded the impossible whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #507 of 1,922
To be honest, I think the problem here is BCAK. That’s an acronym I just learned last week, and it stands for Between Chair And Keyboard. In other words, operator error.

Jun 22, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #510 of 1,922
Hey everyone! Any comparison between the Fiio FH7 and the BGVP DM7? Choosing which of the two to buy is driving me crazy! heheheh

I have both, and both of em are different sound signatures, the fiio has a more premium feel into it, whenever I can sit down and enjoy it, I just go with it, the dm7 I use it more for going out. Sound wise, the fh7 has a wider soundstage, details are way more present but not in a sibilant way (and nor does the dm7) the sub bass and bass are massive and really precise, they rumble when it’s needed, beryllium it’s an amazing material. Mide are balanced and pretty clean, the treble is quite weird to define, airiness is there but it isn’t annoying
The dm7 bass is accurate but lacks the definition and texture from the fh7, soundstage and 3D imaging aren’t as developed as the fh7 but that gives the user a more intimate experience, miss are forward and detailed with a touch of a drop getting into the highs territory, I’m coming from using the dm6 and can tell it’s a serious step forward from em, still the fh7 is a way more serious iem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back