[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 20, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #467 of 1,922
Jun 20, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #468 of 1,922
@Brooko you can probably debunk 90% of audiophile "theory" by that measure. Most people don't realise that the "improvements" they're hearing is simply the music playing slightly louder. Even the smallest of volume increases can make music sound more exciting, open up the stage and reveal "hidden" parts of the track "you've never heard before" (because you were listening too softly, or, as in my case, your hearing's not 100%!). Unfortunately knowing this and applying it in practice will cost the industry millions, so it's often brushed off or buried under piles of marketing nonsense (and make no mistake, most of us are susceptible to clever marketing).

At the same time though you have to admit that scientific measurements, in the wrong hands, can also be used nefariously, as is often the case on one particular and seemingly popular website (which I won't name here) that makes a song and dance about noise in amps and dacs that dogs (let alone humans) can't hear.

So yes, measurements are important and useful, "differences" between audio gear can often be explained away by a small nudge of the volume dial in either direction (along with many other factors, placebo included), and even after all that, each of us hears differently and relates (emotionally) to different music in different ways, which also affects our perception of the music - don't even get me started on that tangent...
Generally speaking, it goes both ways. It is not just that people can intentionally abuse science for nefarious purposes, but they can also misunderstand it, extrapolate it beyond reason and apply it arbitrarily. I have seen that on head-fi a lot as well, often by people who are convinced they are being scientific. So both sides go off into extremes. Those who claim to hear the inaudible and those who profess to know that [x] can't make a difference because [theory].

My advice, leave science to the experts (they have enough trouble getting it right themselves) and just enjoy this hobby for the subjective experience of your favourite music.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #470 of 1,922
CMOS analog switch typically adds 0.1 to 0.5 Ohm and may increase distortion if poor quality. That may explain output impedance differences between bal-Se out. Affects Sound too ofcourse.

Jun 20, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #471 of 1,922
FH7 sound most days to me is preferable to all BA sets including se846, ier-M9 and Fearless S8p but in the noisy New York Subway is non starter because isolation is so so. :triportsad:

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #475 of 1,922
Anyone know why FH7 + M11 the volume doesn't work? its always same volume from 0-120
Which app(s) and which plug(s)? I have no volume problems with any app, and have used the FH-7 with 2.5, 3.5, and 4.4.

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #478 of 1,922
Reason to never get the Subway then! :beyersmile:

Here in London, I avoid the tube as much as I possibly can, not just for the noise.
Bought my first set of CIEMs for commuting on the Tube and it worked great for isolation, but did nothing against the persistent invasion of my personal space, the smell, the soot, the heat (oh, the Piccadilly Line is getting airconditioning when?!). :p The only downside of leaving London is that I miss the lovely Gisele (audiologist of Aid2Hearing). Always good to have someone like her close by. :D

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #479 of 1,922
@Brooko you can probably debunk 90% of audiophile "theory" by that measure. Most people don't realise that the "improvements" they're hearing is simply the music playing slightly louder. Even the smallest of volume increases can make music sound more exciting, open up the stage and reveal "hidden" parts of the track "you've never heard before" (because you were listening too softly, or, as in my case, your hearing's not 100%!). Unfortunately knowing this and applying it in practice will cost the industry millions, so it's often brushed off or buried under piles of marketing nonsense (and make no mistake, most of us are susceptible to clever marketing).

At the same time though you have to admit that scientific measurements, in the wrong hands, can also be used nefariously, as is often the case on one particular and seemingly popular website (which I won't name here) that makes a song and dance about noise in amps and dacs that dogs (let alone humans) can't hear.

So yes, measurements are important and useful, "differences" between audio gear can often be explained away by a small nudge of the volume dial in either direction (along with many other factors, placebo included), and even after all that, each of us hears differently and relates (emotionally) to different music in different ways, which also affects our perception of the music - don't even get me started on that tangent...

The most significant improvements I have achieved are from tip rolling - a large part of which is improving the seal (and thus more consistent loudness? :p)

(Heck, I can almost make my $20 AT&T Monster 'IEMs' enjoyable to listen to .. well, still no on that one :D)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #480 of 1,922
I actually prefer the audio on iPhone 6 SE to the ES100, although that may be biased by my lack of appreciation.. take as you will.

The ES100 offers mobility and "lots of options to play with"; some can make the audio sound 'more good' and some 'less good'. I had to disable the crossfeed entirely as the ES100 implementation makes music sound flat me me. The ES100 looks really good on paper (and feels cheap in hand) and some may benefit more from the hardware EQ. However, the audio output was simply not impressive to me (read: "meh" and "non-engaging") and I noticed no difference between balanced and unbalanced (emphasis added).

I’ve the new HiBy W5 on order, so I can compare to that in a few days (the W5 uses a ES9218P, the ES100 uses AK4375a). My other reference is a Valhalla 2 + blueMe BT DAC (AK4396), which is ‘delicious’ .. and not exactly something one carries around in a pocket :D

But if you are using an iphone, the best codec you can use with the es100 is AAC, correct? Try es100 with LDAC or even aptx and see if your comparison changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back