[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 3, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #166 of 1,922
I recently received my Hidizs MS4 from the Kickstarter campaign, so I will be comparing this first set of songs mostly between those two. I have a set of FiiO FH5 (for sale!), Sony XBA-N3, Audeze iSine 20, and Whizzer Kylin A-HE03. Yes, I have a preference for hybrid or planar magnetic sound.

I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly rock, metal, classical, blues, and some electronic/darksynth.

Madness by Muse. It has a heavy bass line, but it must not overwhelm Bellamy's voice. The Hidisz MS4 and the FiiO FH7 both do the beat justice, with neither blasting past the vocals. The MS4 is definitely boomer. The defining point with definition is at 03:44 when Bellamy just soars vocally, with backing vocals. The FH7 is much more defined there, chillingly so. The MS4 is quite good but just slightly less defined; the bass is more emphasized which has its own appeal. The hybrids deliver better impact on the song over some BA-only I've sampled.

Fly for Your Life by GUNSHIP. The bass in the MS4 will knock your eardrums about. At 03:40, the drums pan from left to right as an airplane flies overhead. The bass from the FH7 is less pronounced compared to the head rattling the MS4 deliver.

Workin' Them Angels by Rush. Again, the MS4 will work you over with the bass delivery courtesy of Peart and Lee. It's not completely over the top, nor does it overwhelm Lifeson or vocals. The FiiO FH7 sounds restrained after listening to the MS4 - and it reminds me how less crisp the FH5, a fine set on their own, sound. The FH7 and MS4 deliver a different sound, and I personally can appreciate both.

Unsainted by Slipknot. Bass is much tighter and faster on the FH7 with less boom and more snap than on the MS4. Vocals - might actually be a little less forward on the FH7 but not recessed. Will have to keep listening and A/B testing.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #167 of 1,922
just receive FH7 now. :deadhorse:
171VBu.jpg

Wow I thought I was the only one who still kept this..
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #168 of 1,922
I recently received my Hidizs MS4 from the Kickstarter campaign, so I will be comparing this first set of songs mostly between those two. I have a set of FiiO FH5 (for sale!), Sony XBA-N3, Audeze iSine 20, and Whizzer Kylin A-HE03. Yes, I have a preference for hybrid or planar magnetic sound.

I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly rock, metal, classical, blues, and some electronic/darksynth.

Madness by Muse. It has a heavy bass line, but it must not overwhelm Bellamy's voice. The Hidisz MS4 and the FiiO FH7 both do the beat justice, with neither blasting past the vocals. The MS4 is definitely boomer. The defining point with definition is at 03:44 when Bellamy just soars vocally, with backing vocals. The FH7 is much more defined there, chillingly so. The MS4 is quite good but just slightly less defined; the bass is more emphasized which has its own appeal. The hybrids deliver better impact on the song over some BA-only I've sampled.

Fly for Your Life by GUNSHIP. The bass in the MS4 will knock your eardrums about. At 03:40, the drums pan from left to right as an airplane flies overhead. The bass from the FH7 is less pronounced compared to the head rattling the MS4 deliver.

Workin' Them Angels by Rush. Again, the MS4 will work you over with the bass delivery courtesy of Peart and Lee. It's not completely over the top, nor does it overwhelm Lifeson or vocals. The FiiO FH7 sounds restrained after listening to the MS4 - and it reminds me how less crisp the FH5, a fine set on their own, sound. The FH7 and MS4 deliver a different sound, and I personally can appreciate both.

Unsainted by Slipknot. Bass is much tighter and faster on the FH7 with less boom and more snap than on the MS4. Vocals - might actually be a little less forward on the FH7 but not recessed. Will have to keep listening and A/B testing.
Great impressions. Can you write a paragraph or two comparing the FH7 with the FH5 in terms of midrange (forwardness, clarity) and bass (quantity, type, emphasis). One thing I love about the FH5 is the sub bass power and linear midbass. Don’t want to give up that rumble...

Also how is the fit? The FH5 is by far the most comfortable IEM I’ve ever worn. The shallow insertion is perfect for my ear shape.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #170 of 1,922
Are there any detailed comparisons yet FH5 vs FH7 anyone can point me to?

I really would like to know about aspects such as micro-detailing, air around instruments, layering, timbre and sound-stage.

Cheers!

Jun 4, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #173 of 1,922
YEAH! I did read that nice review. Some great perspectives there on facets of the sound. Very interesting. Wondered if others would agree with this??
Yes I also read the review above. I found it interesting but just too positive. Perhaps once other reviews come out to corroborate what this one says I’ll be more inclined to agree. I’ve heard varying reports about the bass being far more subdued than the FH5, for example, which would be taking away one of the FH5’s great strengths in my opinion. Some have even called it ‘bright’. Let’s see. @Currawong when can we expect your take? @Brooko?

Jun 4, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #174 of 1,922

Hows the FH7 compare to the Sony N3?

Jun 4, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #175 of 1,922
Yes I also read the review above. I found it interesting but just too positive. Perhaps once other reviews come out to corroborate what this one says I’ll be more inclined to agree. I’ve heard varying reports about the bass being far more subdued than the FH5, for example, which would be taking away one of the FH5’s great strengths in my opinion. Some have even called it ‘bright’. Let’s see. @Currawong when can we expect your take? @Brooko?

Yes i thought it was a bit "supercharged", would like to see other comparisons too :)

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #176 of 1,922
Sorry mate - travelling. Home in weekend. Amos has my graphs - think he’s including in his review.

To me these are more balanced overall than the FH5. Mid bass is pretty clean, and there is good extension in the sub bass. Because there is less V and less forward mid-range, the bass measures lower, but still hits pretty good. To me they are much better than the FH5, especially in the mid-range. More balance in the bass does mean the treble stands out a little more though.

Really good for female vocals, and good for male vocals, but slightly better with the gals I think.

Fit is about the same as the FH5, slightly longer in the nozzles - but only mm. As always, finding the right tip is the secret.

Probably as close to an audiophile tuning of a hybrid IEM I’ve heard since the DN-2000.

Those looking for slamming bass might better stick with FH5. If you like linear bass with deep sub-bass (extension not volume), then definitely worth looking into.

More in weekend when I’m home

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #177 of 1,922
Sorry mate - travelling. Home in weekend. Amos has my graphs - think he’s including in his review.

To me these are more balanced overall than the FH5. Mid bass is pretty clean, and there is good extension in the sub bass. Because there is less V and less forward mid-range, the bass measures lower, but still hits pretty good. To me they are much better than the FH5, especially in the mid-range. More balance in the bass does mean the treble stands out a little more though.

Really good for female vocals, and good for male vocals, but slightly better with the gals I think.

Fit is about the same as the FH5, slightly longer in the nozzles - but only mm. As always, finding the right tip is the secret.

Probably as close to an audiophile tuning of a hybrid IEM I’ve heard since the DN-2000.

Those looking for slamming bass might better stick with FH5. If you like linear bass with deep sub-bass (extension not volume), then definitely worth looking into.

More in weekend when I’m home

Great stuff. Thanks.

I know you rate the Big Dippers very highly indeed. How do these compare; do they even come close? I was seriously considering going from the LZ A4 to the BDs but then the FH5 came out and I plumped for those, which I use all the time now.

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #178 of 1,922
Yes i thought it was a bit "supercharged", would like to see other comparisons too :)
Yeah that bit on the balanced connection doesn’t match what I’m hearing. If you volume match, there is not a lot of difference. When I get home I’ll use the Dunu DK4001 cable so I can fast switch. I typically find people who claim night and day diff bal vs SE aren’t volume matching. Could be the 1ohm vs 2ohm OI from the M11. Will have to measure that too - in case it’s affecting the crossovers

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #179 of 1,922
Great stuff. Thanks.

I know you rate the Big Dippers very highly indeed. How do these compare; do they even come close? I was seriously considering going from the LZ A4 to the BDs but then the FH5 came out and I plumped for those, which I use all the time now.

I think the Dippers are a very coloured but quite fun V shaped IEM. Have always been a fan of balanced signature IEMs though and the FH7 really fits the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back