[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 4, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #181 of 1,922
Yeah that bit on the balanced connection doesn’t match what I’m hearing. If you volume match, there is not a lot of difference. When I get home I’ll use the Dunu DK4001 cable so I can fast switch. I typically find people who claim night and day diff bal vs SE aren’t volume matching. Could be the 1ohm vs 2ohm OI from the M11. Will have to measure that too - in case it’s affecting the crossovers

Yes, i've not really heard huge difference balanced or standard with my X7ii for example. I like the extra oomph though :)

I think the Dippers are a very coloured but quite fun V shaped IEM. Have always been a fan of balanced signature IEMs though and the FH7 really fits the bill.

Interesting, I'd love to hear more elaboration; I'm really a fan of space around instruments, microdetailing and soundstage; I was drooling over some of the rave reviews of the Campfire Solaris for example, the bling look puts me off a bit... can't quite see those passing under the radar easily, lol. Basically if the FH7 trumps the FH5's in this regard then I'm in! Interesting you say they are much better in the mids than the FH5 as I rate the mids really highly for this.

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #182 of 1,922
How about I give you a full run down in coming weekend :wink:

Jun 4, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #183 of 1,922
Sorry mate - travelling. Home in weekend. Amos has my graphs - think he’s including in his review.

To me these are more balanced overall than the FH5. Mid bass is pretty clean, and there is good extension in the sub bass. Because there is less V and less forward mid-range, the bass measures lower, but still hits pretty good. To me they are much better than the FH5, especially in the mid-range. More balance in the bass does mean the treble stands out a little more though.

Really good for female vocals, and good for male vocals, but slightly better with the gals I think.

Fit is about the same as the FH5, slightly longer in the nozzles - but only mm. As always, finding the right tip is the secret.

Probably as close to an audiophile tuning of a hybrid IEM I’ve heard since the DN-2000.

Those looking for slamming bass might better stick with FH5. If you like linear bass with deep sub-bass (extension not volume), then definitely worth looking into.

More in weekend when I’m home
Thanks mate that’s awesome feedback. And there I though the FH5 with Spiral Dot tips was the epitome of linear bass with deep sub-bass (extension and volume). Glad to gear the fit is about the same as the FH5...

Jun 4, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #186 of 1,922
Been listening a bit more. The FH7 do sound a little bright on some tracks, especially after listening to the Hidizs MS4 (bass heavy, treble a little rolled off), Sony XBA-N3 (Sony sound is famously dark), iSine 20 (Audeze house sound with the cipher or my EQ). Currently have _Ride With the Devil_ by Mötley Crüe and the treble is not as sharp as on other tracks from the album (_The Dirt Soundtrack_). May be very track specific. Details are better than on the FH5 to my ears.

Jun 4, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #187 of 1,922
Details are better than on the FH5 to my ears.
If details are better because treble is more prominent and bass is more subdued, then details aren't "better", if you get my meaning. I have no issue with a more neutral/balanced tuning, but the deep (sometimes jaw shaking) sub bass and smooth highs are what makes the FH5 so appealing to me, and I wouldn't want to lose either in an "upgrade". The more forward/sometimes harsh upper mids are the one issue with the FH5, although this is quite track-specific. I do sometimes wish vocals were smoother too. An IEM with the sub bass/treble/stage of the FH5 and smoother/warmer/less forward mids is what I'm after, though I'm not sure such a beast exists. (And having spent the weekend with them, I now know for sure the Andromeda are definitely not that beast).

Jun 4, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #188 of 1,922
If you want head-slamming bass (more boomy), then the FH5 is for you. The FH7 can sound brighter with the bass being less in your skull.
The thing I like most about the FH5 is that the sub bass can boom, but the mid bass is fairly linear and therefore doesn't bloom into the mids (like it does on the FA7, for example, which is what makes that IEM too "thick" for my liking). I would want any IEM that replaces/upgrades the FH5 to at least match the quality/character of the sub bass without adding to the mid bass. I don't mind extra treble, as long as it's smooth and not harsh/sibilant, though I know with tuning that more treble often means less bass or overly recessed mids.

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #189 of 1,922
If details are better because treble is more prominent and bass is more subdued, then details aren't "better", if you get my meaning.... The thing I like most about the FH5 is that the sub bass can boom, but the mid bass is fairly linear and therefore doesn't bloom into the mids (like it does on the FA7, for example, which is what makes that IEM too "thick" for my liking). I would want any IEM that replaces/upgrades the FH5 to at least match the quality/character of the sub bass without adding to the mid bass.

Have you ever heard the iSine 20 (or other planar magnetics)? That's what the FH7 sounds like. Fast, impactful, but not really boomy - if that's your thing, the FH5 or the Hidizs MS4 may be your thing (especially the latter!).

I absolutely get you re: the details - I think it's a trick some IEMs do to sound "detailed". The FH7 - to my ears - have more detail, to the point I am picking up separation and instruments I don't hear with the FH5. Honeymoon? My head finally cleared up? Possible. But I can definitely hear it swapping between the two.

Hows the FH7 compare to the Sony N3?

I love my XBA-N3. Very easy listening, never fatiguing. I'd say it's a "leaner" sound, if that makes sense.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #190 of 1,922
The Earstudio ES100 with the new Fiio FH7 is a bliss. Overall better than the FH5. Much better separation and wider stage. The bass is great.
Listening to Tidal via UAPP (LDAC at highest rate)

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #191 of 1,922
Have you ever heard the iSine 20 (or other planar magnetics)? That's what the FH7 sounds like. Fast, impactful, but not really boomy - if that's your thing, the FH5 or the Hidizs MS4 may be your thing (especially the latter!).
i haven’t but I’m very familiar with the planar sound having owned both the LCD-2 and LCD-3. I sold them both for dynamic headphones because I simply prefer the punch and rumble of a good dynamic driver that a planar just can’t reproduce (however fast and textured it is). So I guess if the FH7 is closer to a planar in bass presentation than the FH5 I’ll probably stick to the FH5 - or maybe get both if they’re different enough.

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #192 of 1,922
my FH7 should arrive this week, i had the fh5 for about 3 months as my dayly and i will gladly give you some impressions

Jun 5, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #193 of 1,922
FiiO LC-2.5D MMCX Pure silver single crystal cable

4C81CAAB-E5FF-453B-A616-6E7F8EF46C13.jpeg

5409AF48-9A51-48A6-8294-9C5759612979.jpeg

4090CD3E-FE6A-4781-93B1-309E4825810C.jpeg

72865E6C-C771-4E55-93B7-9EE1231CB899.jpeg

5F02C351-437C-4266-A0CB-49519AAACE5E.jpeg

BC44CAD7-304B-4CFC-85D5-D6AB719F8897.jpeg

A18E1D5D-3E5E-439D-AE18-17A4162138A4.jpeg

0EE1E5E0-BB2E-4AAF-A8C5-A0DA3AACEC4E.jpeg

BCBD9C2F-42C0-40EB-B998-4B2EA376D122.jpeg
* with FiiO FH7 and FiiO M11.

...gives a lil something, something

5C1B7138-3B18-4607-B2D7-2DD47C25706C.jpeg

FiiO describes it as an upgrade on their website (pictured with I presume FH7 and Fiio M11)

Attachments

• B5C9DAF2-64FE-4D3B-9D8D-87E318DFBDCE.jpeg
    B5C9DAF2-64FE-4D3B-9D8D-87E318DFBDCE.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #194 of 1,922
FiiO LC-2.5D MMCX Pure silver single crystal cable

* with FiiO FH7 and FiiO M11.

...gives a lil something, something

FiiO describes it as an upgrade on their website (pictured with I presume FH7 and Fiio M11)
How do you like it compared to the stock LC-C cable? If I get the FH7 I might get the LC-D since I want 4.4mm balanced, not to mention it has an L shaped jack unlike the B or C cables, but does it sound any better?

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #195 of 1,922
How do you like it compared to the stock LC-C cable? If I get the FH7 I might get the LC-D since I want 4.4mm balanced, not to mention it has an L shaped jack unlike the B or C cables, but does it sound any better?

I just inboxed it and started listening to it.

I am enjoying it so far.

Is it an upgrade or just a different sound signature?

I will have to do some hot swapping with the FH7 and stock cable and a couple of daps to confirm.

Early days.... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back