FiiO EH3 NC - Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dec 15, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #91 of 143
And it sounds like there is something rattling on the inside now. Something broke. Just got to figure out how to get these earpads off.
Hey mate, they lift straight off. Just give them a gentle tug.

PSX_20191215_192043.jpg

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #92 of 143
@FiiO Another inquiry into whether the change in sound signature with ANC on is something that could be altered via firmware.
I'm not asking you to change it right now, I'm just asking if this is a possibility.

Dec 16, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #93 of 143
I went to our local headphone store and gave them a try.
They would be great headphones without the sound problems with ANC.
Really comfortable to wear, good features and a fair price.
With ANC on the really sound ugly to me.
Since I need the ANC I can't use them right now and wouldn't recommend them to anyone who is looking for ANC headphones.
If you're looking for a wireless headphone without ANC however, then go for it.

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #95 of 143
I have a pair in for review, and I'm listening with them on a flight as we speak. It's actually impressive how good the treble quality is, as well as the overall sound having a degree of precision and being distortion-fatigue-free, despite being in a noisy environment with noise cancelling on. Earlier on in the decade, I remember trying normal headphones around the $200 mark and they all had some degree of harsh treble and clear distortion. Look how far we have come!

I'm actually pretty pleased with the sound, though I agree with the comments on the change in sound with NC on. Given what I usually listen with, I have enjoyed using them on the flight. However, I reckon FiiO could have included an airline adaptor. I pinched one from another set of headphones, because the difference compared to using the lousy stock headphones when watching a movie on a plane is, not surprisingly, considerable.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #96 of 143
@FiiO guess what! I got a fever! And the only prescription....is finding out whether the change in sound signature with ANC on is something that could be addressed via firmware update, or not.

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #97 of 143
Used them on a flight for the first time yesterday:
For noise cancelling I was able to directly compare to my wife's Sonys (the Mk2). Sonys get rid of everything, Fiios get rid of low end but leave high frequencies still quite audible, though not in a bothersome way. Sonys are clearly a lot better but the Fiios are still ok - though if you were to be saddled with someone's screaming kids nearby, you would be glad you paid the extra for the Sonys!!

I didn't get to A/B with regard to sound reproduction, sorry. But I found the Fiios did a really good job. With ANC on in that environment, audio was clear and pleasing. No sound intruded from outside and there was plenty of presence across the frequency range. They were very comfortable over a 12 hour journey. I watched TV, half a movie and listened to some music (Aurora) from the in-flight system and I thought they did pretty well. I'll try to A/B on the way back in a couple of weeks, but the impact that ANC has when not in an extreme situation is not noticeable during a flight. Yes, I would get better reproduction through my IEMs but I don't really want to wear them for 12 hours.

Now in the rainy UK and happening to use the Fiios to watch Netflix on my laptop (ANC off) and again I am quite impressed with the audio quality. Not a match for the Mobius but good enough that I notice that they are good enough and enjoy listening to them.

I've voiced a similar stance on other platforms, I'll do it again here:
I think these headphones are tricky to review/sum up. For someone with audiophile leanings they are pretty good for the price and deliver an enjoyable presentation. However, while with Fiios DAPs and IEMs we can easily compare to the bigger names and discuss how well they perform (very well) we are not in the same territory here. So if someone buys them expecting the same level of quality and tries to be as picky as we all can be with gear, they will not measure up. In my experience, no ANC cans really do. They all have their compromises and so do the Fiio cans - but they have them at half the price of the bigger names and for that price I can consider myself reasonably content with my purchase.

Dec 28, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #99 of 143
In Valencia Spain spending the end of year holiday and yesterday went to Zococity which is an amazing audio store. I spent one hour testing numerous components (headphones and DAPs). I left the store with the EH3NC. I tried theme well as the Dali IO-6 and comparing them to my current Sony XM3. I loved the Fiio. Liked the sound more than the Dalis and more than the Sony. In Wired mode connected to my Topping NX4 they were great to listen to. ANC on indeed is not as good but good enough for me. I was happy to spend 160 euros more on the Dali but ended up to my surprise with the Fiio. I think they are a steal for this price.

Jan 3, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #101 of 143
I took my first flight with the Fiio. So on the positive side the passive isolation is not too bad. ANC is clearly inferior to Sony and Fiio will have to do something about the SQ when ANC is engaged. A second irritating point is that the Fiio clearly does not consider a scenario of using ANC when wired. The headphone considers itself idle and switches off after some time (which can be configured in the app). All in all, IMHO, the Fiio shines best when wired in passive mode. BT is mediocre in AAC with my Iphone. I still need to test LDAC (will try with my second work phone that has it).

Call quality seems quite OK. I still need to put them to real work in that department. Multipoint works extremely well. Both points exasperated me with the Sony.
I was planning to sell the Sony and keep the Fiio but am hesitating now. Not sure the Fiio cut it on an airplane and I fly a lot.

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #102 of 143
Is it me or do these just get better with time?

Not just you! But also I think they are oddly source-dependent - as I've said in earlier posts, the results from a PC (wired) really surprised me. In the early days of becoming more and more pleased with them, I was changing between four pairs of headphones/earphones so it's not brain burn-in. I own better cans, but these are definitely pleasing.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #104 of 143
Do these have balanced circuity by any chance? I wonder how they'd performance balanced?

Not just you! But also I think they are oddly source-dependent - as I've said in earlier posts, the results from a PC (wired) really surprised me. In the early days of becoming more and more pleased with them, I was changing between four pairs of headphones/earphones so it's not brain burn-in. I own better cans, but these are definitely pleasing.

Awesome!

Jan 4, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #105 of 143
Just upgraded my EH3NC's firmware to 1.6 from stock. At the very least, it has fixed the uneven volume control on my Android phone and adds "power on" and "power off" voices, both of which are big quality of life improvements. It was a very easy process following the instructions on my Windows 10 PC and finished in less than 5 minutes.

Here's the link to it: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=45008&extra=page=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back