FiiO EH3 NC - Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones
Jan 17, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #121 of 143
Here's a couple of quick (novel) impressions about these headphones.

1. I ordered the mesh earpads alongside the headphones. First, they are visibly smaller (both the diameter and the height) than the leather earpads that come installed on the headphones: whereas the leather ones fit comfortably, my ears couldn't fit inside the mesh ones. I have fixed this by manually stretching the pads, by they still fit quite snug and chafe my ears a bit (the texture is also not plush). I should note, however, that I am spoiled by the pads on DT 990. (I am making this comparison since one of the use cases I have in mind for the EH3 is watching films from the TV. I think, in the long run, I will probably stick with DT 990 through a BT amp for this purpose (well, at least once Shanling releases an app, so one could use aptX LL). EH3 works great for this currently, though.)

More importantly, though, the sound is absolutely rubbish with the mesh earpads on: clanky, metallic and hollow. The ANC actually improves the sound signature in this case...

2. Since I am considering using them outdoors, I have compared them with my Sennheiser HD 25. (Just a quick test indoors, mind you, both wired and wireless.) I had actually been quite satisfied with the sound on EH3 until I did this direct comparison, which has soured my impression. The HD 25 simply sound much more musical, clean, natural and fun. I think they isolate (passively) a bit better as well.

Of course, this might not be a fair comparison, but it might be relevant for somebody else who is, like me, considering going wireless.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #122 of 143
At same price (because 1000xm3 can be bought for this quantity right now), which one would be better in terms of an average? For ANC I think that the winner its clear but in general, how is the sound quality?

I don't think ANC was that great on either tbh.

In average, EH3 NC seems a touch more comfy, and also more detailed, more dynamic and more engaging if you like a warm sound

1. How speed and bass quality?
2. Mid details?
3. Will you can use 3.5mm without a built-in amp, and the difference in sound with a wireless connection.

1. Bass speed is natural towards slow... Bass quality is great overall, if you like thick, warm, more bassy signatures. It ain't too dark overall
2. Mid details are okay. For 200 USD impressive really.
3. I think yes. I prefer the sound via LineIn in genrral, better detail and clarity.

Feb 14, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #124 of 143
5-Flat Side Up.jpg
FiiO EH3 NC — text review by Porta.Fi

English: https://porta.fi/fiio-eh3-nc-bluetooth-headphones-review-debut-in-a-new-market-segment/
Russian: https://porta.fi/ru/obzor-besprovodnyh-naushnikov-fiio-eh3-nc-debyut-v-novom-segmente/

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #125 of 143

Nice review, though I feel you are being extremely kind/forgiving when discussing the change in quality with ANC on....

Interesting that you wrote this "You should understand that ANC is an optional feature here, but of course FiiO can fine-tune it in upcoming firmwares. "

@FiiO is this true? Not sure if this has been asked already. Oh wait, no, it has. By me. Many times. Presumably, like me, you're working from home currently and have some time to spare. Any chance of an answer?

Feb 15, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #126 of 143
About future tuning — it’s just my assumption that it can be changed someway. But it’s far from certain. It could be 100% hardware implementation

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #128 of 143
Has anyone compared EH3s with Audio-Technica ATH-M50XBT? Talking about sound quality including wired mode (3.5mm). I know that EH3 supports wider range of codecs but I am curious how they compare musically as this is something I can refer to. Obviously, not interested in NC feature. Many thanks.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #133 of 143
Jul 27, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #134 of 143
I made a full in-depth written review about FiiO's EH3 NC Headphones! The review will also be uploaded to Head-fi shortly, on the product page, but I want to give you a quick peek on what FiiO's been working on when it comes to their headphones!!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2020/07/fiio-eh3-nc-commercially-cool-headphones.html

FiiO-NC3-Noise-Cancelling-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones-APT-X-LDAC-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-15.jpg

Nice review, quite fair though also I suspect (like me) you are being a bit more lenient with Fiio than you would with other companies.
Fiio really should try to do something about the ANC sound quality, it takes so much away from what is otherwise a really rather nice headphone at the price.
Surely it could at least be improved a little via firmware? @FiiO ?

Jul 27, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #135 of 143
Nice review, quite fair though also I suspect (like me) you are being a bit more lenient with Fiio than you would with other companies.
Fiio really should try to do something about the ANC sound quality, it takes so much away from what is otherwise a really rather nice headphone at the price.
Surely it could at least be improved a little via firmware? @FiiO ?

Hi there, and thank you!

I'm not sure if I can be called lenient, I actually see NC as more of a gimmick for most headphones / IEMs, the only headphone so far hat really makes a nice sound with it turned on for me is Sennheiser Momentum 3 Bluetooth, everything else is a bit meh when it comes to NC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back