FiiO E9 Review
Sep 12, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #1,036 of 1,324

Quote:

Here is how I have connected the E9:

1. PC line out - > E9 line in via 3.5mm interconnect
  2. E9 RCA line out -> Logitech desktop speakers via RCA to 3.5mm female
  3. PC USB -> E9 USB in
  4. E7 docked into E9

I am under the impression that the E7+E9 act as two devices: DAC and AMP.
When I configured the output of my media players, I choose the USB DAC devices (see below).

Right now, my ouput in the following media players is as follows:

Winamp: DirectSound Output, Device USB Audio DAC
Foobar: WASAPI Output, Device USB Audio DAC

My question is, how should I configure my media players to best utilize the combination of E7+E9?

When I remove the E7, do I need to reconfigure the outputs in my media players to utilize the E9 as an amp only?

With the E7 docked, does it make a difference if I specifcally select USB Audio DAC as the output device?
Or is the E7+E9 able to act as a DAC/AMP combination on its own if I select the output on my media player as Speakers (on-board audio device)?

When using Winamp via DS Output, you don';t need to do anyhthing. The moment you unplug the E7, it stays fixed and you can plug the E9 in however which way you have (likely using headphone out to E9's 3.5mm line in).

With yoru Foobar Wasapi, removing the E7 while it is in play will cause an error and you will need to shut down Fubar and restart it again before you can use it. Such is the headache of Wasapi, but the SQ is worth it.

There's nothing special to do to make use of the E7/E9, just use your Mediaplayers like you usually do. You are already aware of Asio/Wasapi I assume so do what you usually do.

There is no difference in selecting the output device. just know that changing the selection on Wasapi or Asio will cause problems (fixed by restart).

I am not sure about your last question I do not quite understand it.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #1,038 of 1,324

Quote:
Anyone knows if these combos are good?
HD650 + e7/e9
HD25 + e7

I am interested in the HD650 combo as well; I few comments were posted earlier in this thread suggesting that the E7/E9 is quite adequate to drive the HD650.  That said, I would also be appreciative of comments on the sonic properties this pairing, i.e. not just if the amp combo can drive the HD650 but if it is a good synergy and how the sound quality is affected.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #1,039 of 1,324

Quote:
I don't want to make any waves by bringing up the fact that burn in significantly improves the sound quality of the E9.

However, burn in (200 hrs) significantly improves the sound quality of the E9.  At first it was bright, muddled, bloated.  Now its smooth as silk, clean as glacial water.

Personally I like the 650 E7/E9 combo given the low budget for the E7/E9. The E7 alone seems a bit muddy probably because of the inadequate amplification. With the E9 the response is crystal clear and well balanced. Given the otherwise often quoted bass heavy characteristics of the HD650 I would say that the E9 does not bring this out as much I would have expected. Something more mature such as the Lyr may bring this out a bit more.
Quote:

I am interested in the HD650 combo as well; I few comments were posted earlier in this thread suggesting that the E7/E9 is quite adequate to drive the HD650.  That said, I would also be appreciative of comments on the sonic properties this pairing, i.e. not just if the amp combo can drive the HD650 but if it is a good synergy and how the sound quality is affected.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #1,040 of 1,324

Quote:
When using Winamp via DS Output, you don';t need to do anyhthing. The moment you unplug the E7, it stays fixed and you can plug the E9 in however which way you have (likely using headphone out to E9's 3.5mm line in).  
With yoru Foobar Wasapi, removing the E7 while it is in play will cause an error and you will need to shut down Fubar and restart it again before you can use it. Such is the headache of Wasapi, but the SQ is worth it.

There's nothing special to do to make use of the E7/E9, just use your Mediaplayers like you usually do. You are already aware of Asio/Wasapi I assume so do what you usually do.

There is no difference in selecting the output device. just know that changing the selection on Wasapi or Asio will cause problems (fixed by restart).

I am not sure about your last question I do not quite understand it.

Hi Mochan,

Thanks for your reply. After a bit of experimenting I was able to figure it out and I got things working the way I want!

I've opted not to connect my PC headphone/speaker out to the E9 3.5mm line-in as the E7 is pretty much permanently docked in my E9.
I understand that I need to use the E9's line-in connection when I remove the E7 if I want to continuing utilizing the E9's amp.

In WinAmp, I had two devices detected and I was not sure if I should choose DirectSound (default device) or specifically choose the USB DAC. See, I was unsure whether the selection of the device would affect how the E7+E9 would perform as DAC/AMP. Because my E7+E9 is connected via USB only, the selection of either device would not matter since the USB DAC was basically the default DirectSound device.

In Foobar, I specifically selected WASAPI - USB DAC as the output format and device. All OK here :wink:

In regards to my last question, at the time, I had the E7+E9 connected via USB and line-in (PC speaker/headphone out -> E9 line in).
When I had this connection, I had more than two devices for DirectSound and WASAPI output formats: (USB DAC, speakers).

My question was, if I selected DirectSound (Speakers), would the E7+E9 still act as a DAC and AMP?
I tried a few different configurations and concluded that since the sound was passed through the 3.5mm interconnect, the the E9 would only act as an AMP.

It was only when I selected DirectSound (USB DAC) or WASAPI (USB DAC) that the E7+E9 would perform as as both a DAC and AMP.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #1,041 of 1,324
One thing I've noticed about the FiiO E7+E9 in Windows 7:

- When I connected the E9 via USB and line-in, I can only hear music if I select DirectSound / WASAPI (speakers) in Winamp/Foobar
- Selecting DirectSound / WASAPI (USB DAC) does not produce any sound in Winamp/Foobar
- When I unplug the 3.5mm line-in, only then do I hear music in Winamp/Foobar (with DirectSound-USB DAC / WASAPI-USB DAC selected, respectively)

Seems like the 3.5mm line-in takes priority over the USB for the E9?

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #1,044 of 1,324

Quote:
Personally I like the 650 E7/E9 combo given the low budget for the E7/E9. The E7 alone seems a bit muddy probably because of the inadequate amplification. With the E9 the response is crystal clear and well balanced. Given the otherwise often quoted bass heavy characteristics of the HD650 I would say that the E9 does not bring this out as much I would have expected. Something more mature such as the Lyr may bring this out a bit more.

Thanks for this, the "quoted bass heavy characteristics of the HD650" are what I'm after.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #1,045 of 1,324
Quick question since I just received my E9 today.

I'm currently using the E7/E9 with WASAPI/Foobar and it works fine, but if I watch a youtube video or something, my laptop uses the speakers instead of the E7/E9. How do I make the E7/E9 the default speaker for everything?

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #1,046 of 1,324

In Win7 go to control panel/hardware and sound /sound. click on "manage audio device" and under "playback" make the "USB Audio DAC" the default audio device by selecting it than then click on "set default". It should then have the green tick on it.
I actually use my internal card for the speakers for TV etc most of the time and the E7/E9 combo is set up for one of my foobar installations just for music. I have a second foobar installation which has the sound routed to the internal soundcard.

Quote:
Quick question since I just received my E9 today.

I'm currently using the E7/E9 with WASAPI/Foobar and it works fine, but if I watch a youtube video or something, my laptop uses the speakers instead of the E7/E9. How do I make the E7/E9 the default speaker for everything?

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #1,047 of 1,324

I tried that actually, but it's still not working.

EDIT: Nvm, I fixed it. Changing from WASAPI to the default did the trick.
Quote:
In Win7 go to control panel/hardware and sound /sound. click on "manage audio device" and under "playback" make the "USB Audio DAC" the default audio device by selecting it than then click on "set default". It should then have the green tick on it.
I actually use my internal card for the speakers for TV etc most of the time and the E7/E9 combo is set up for one of my foobar installations just for music. I have a second foobar installation which has the sound routed to the internal soundcard.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #1,049 of 1,324
my question is, would it be ideal to sell my asus xonar essence and go with the e9/e7 combo or just get an e9 what would be more beneficial.  I will ultimately be using the denon d2000.  Does the e9 have swappable opamps?

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,050 of 1,324
i've been enjoying my e7/e9 combo (pre-oredered from miccastore.com) every day since it i set it up. i know its old news,but today i connected my l7 via splitter to the line in so i dont have to manually switch inputs anymore. didnt think it could get any better with this combo. its a nice pick-me up after reading the x3 is on hold. again,cheers fiio. looking forward to next

Users who are viewing this thread

Back