FiiO E9 Review
Sep 17, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #1,051 of 1,324
The E7 and L7 is such an awesome combo. So low-cost, but an incredible USB DAC.  Apparently the D3 though is a much better DAC at less than half the cost! Donunus has replaced his E7 with the D3 -- but the D3 is a coax/optical DAC. I'll wait to see the D5.

Quote:

Thanks for this, the "quoted bass heavy characteristics of the HD650" are what I'm after.

The E9 is not a bassy amp at all. It is a little on the brighter side, but I hesitate to call it bright. It's very liquid and neutral, with great great great mids. But it will not emphasize the bass of any headphone. It is not a bassy amp. Songs with bass, on a bassy headphone, will be bassy. But the E9 will not add its own.

that's why I keep a few separate bassy amps when I am looking for bass (E7, X02, A1). The E9 I keep when I am looking for clarity and awesome mids.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #1,052 of 1,324
I have a couple of questions regarding this amp that I'm unable to find answers for with the search function.

What effect does this amp have on Shure SRH-840's? Does it make any difference at all?

If I were to buy the E9 how would I go about connecting a pair of active near-field monitors? Is it even possible and can this amp supply a decent enough signal?

I would be connecting it to my soundcard (see sig) via the RCA connectors (I assume).

If all this can be made to work and if it improves the sound through my Shure's would it be reasonable to expect a further increase in quality if I were to add an E7?

Sorry for all the questions. I very much look forward to reading the replies.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #1,053 of 1,324

Quote:
I have a couple of questions regarding this amp that I'm unable to find answers for with the search function.

What effect does this amp have on Shure SRH-840's? Does it make any difference at all?

If I were to buy the E9 how would I go about connecting a pair of active near-field monitors? Is it even possible and can this amp supply a decent enough signal?

I would be connecting it to my soundcard (see sig) via the RCA connectors (I assume).

If all this can be made to work and if it improves the sound through my Shure's would it be reasonable to expect a further increase in quality if I were to add an E7?

Sorry for all the questions. I very much look forward to reading the replies.

it makes them better.  lol mostly more detail, not used for ages so cant say much more than that.

just use the phono outs on the back to the active speakers

well adding the e7 would make it better if its a better dac than what your currently using (its quite a good dac in there)

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #1,054 of 1,324
If you listen to music at 24bit/96Hz then you will not like it as the dac in the E7 is limited up to 16bit/48kHz. But if you don't it be a good choice. But be warn as soon you remove the E7 from the top of the E9 the usb dac amp function will be disable. Personally if i was you I would keep using the M-Audio with the Fiio E9. unless the M audio is annoying you to the point you wanna change from it.

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #1,055 of 1,324
Thanks for the reply Mark. If I was to use the Phono outs from the E9 to the speakers I guess I'd have to use the 3.5mm line in? That would mean sourcing a cable with Phonos' at one end and 3.5mm at the other as my soundcard only has phono outs, hmmm. As far as DAC's are concerned I have no idea how good my current one is, lol.

Just out of curiosity, do you work for Advanced MP3 Players? If so do you know if their store price is the same as their online price? I omly ask because I intend to be down in Auld Reekie and I could always pop into their Ocean Terminal shop and pick the amp up in person. Another thing - if you're not using the E9 any more do you mind my asking what you've moved on to?

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #1,056 of 1,324

Quote:
If you listen to music at 24bit/96Hz then you will not like it as the dac in the E7 is limited up to 16bit/48kHz. But if you don't it be a good choice. But be warn as soon you remove the E7 from the top of the E9 the usb dac amp function will be disable. Personally if i was you I would keep using the M-Audio with the Fiio E9. unless the M audio is annoying you to the point you wanna change from it.

That's good to know. I don't listen to 24bit recordings so no problem there. It would certainly be cheaper to retain the soundcard. My only real reason for a new amp is that my current one (see sig) is dying. The only reliable way to get it is to give it a big thump on the top casing as the power switch is on the way out, lol. Not good. Since the jury seems to be out on whether the headphone output found in integrated amps is any good or not I thought I'd take the plunge and get a headphone amp which had the ability to pass the signal on to a pair of active monitors as I've always fancied that option. Are there any other reasonably cheap hadphone amps out there which would allow me to do this?

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #1,057 of 1,324
If I use E9+E7 with my active speakers and plug in my headphones at the same time, will speakers be muted?

Other question.. I currently have Shanling PH100 + Beresford Caiman for my AKG K601's. Would this Fiio combo be bad choise instead?

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #1,058 of 1,324
I love my e9 so much that i did some modifications with it and made it portable!...lol
the e9 has POWER!

my modified e9:

replaced caps with sprague, m caps, ero caps

i removed the e7 dock (doesn't have good synergy with the e9) and place a metal mesh

i also made it  portable to drive my yamaha HP 2
biggrin.gif

batteries are 12 AA batteries @ 2100mah each in series

all 12 inside the aluminum case

around 14.77 vdc

test run

diy imod (black gates) --> denko LOD to RCA--> modifed portable e9

final built:

smoked black acrylic with hex screws and cf finish
front

back

i'm still doing my diy low profile LOD to RCAs using mundorf gold/ silver

battery life is impressive so far, been using it for a total of 10 hours already and it's still running, will post if how long the battery life when it finally drains
rolleyes.gif
vol is 12-2 o'clock on low gain driving my power hungry Yamaha HP 2.

thanks for looking.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,061 of 1,324
Sir, that is the most epic portable rig I've ever seen!  Well done!  You really should show it off here, to really gain some well deserved recognition.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #1,062 of 1,324
thanks for the appreciation guys
smile.gif
just an update it clocked at 14 hours playtime on it's first full charging, hopefully the playtime will add an hour or two on succeeding charges.

here's some updated pics:

replaced the screws and engraved my nick on it

with my beloved vintage hp 2

@digital

thanks dude, will post it there...i hope its not OT...lol

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #1,064 of 1,324
That look very neat, I wish I was that handy with tools, Then I could do something like that with my Fiio E9. Make it more roomy to fit Distree op-amps and easier to access the inside.  Fiio Should sell another fiio E9 in a bigger case without the E7 slot on top and even improve the Fiio E9 with better caps, and of course different op-amps. Tho I would just change them any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back