FiiO E9 Review
Aug 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #1,021 of 1,324
Devlin the guy who did that review didnt know what he was doing, He also most be tone deaf or had cheap speakers or headphones.  You can later on use the Fiio E9 with the ST/X RCA outputs, as the outputs on that card as well as the X-Fi HD are very good. either one of those would make a good Dac with the fiio E9. But year as some one said E7 is a entry Dac.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #1,022 of 1,324
I already have an E7 as I said above.

Odd because a review of the Essence on here said it barely increased the quality beyond that of the onboard chip someone was using so I avoided it.

You can read written replies all day but the only opinion that matters is your own two ears, if you are satisfied with the sound of the E7 then so be it.

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #1,023 of 1,324
Hello all E9 owners and enthusiasts!

I just became an E9 owner this weekend and have a few questions about configuring the amp with media players (Windows 7).

Here is how I have connected the E9:

1. PC line out - > E9 line in via 3.5mm interconnect
  2. E9 RCA line out -> Logitech desktop speakers via RCA to 3.5mm female
  3. PC USB -> E9 USB in
  4. E7 docked into E9

I am under the impression that the E7+E9 act as two devices: DAC and AMP.
When I configured the output of my media players, I choose the USB DAC devices (see below).

Right now, my ouput in the following media players is as follows:

Winamp: DirectSound Output, Device USB Audio DAC
Foobar: WASAPI Output, Device USB Audio DAC

My question is, how should I configure my media players to best utilize the combination of E7+E9?

When I remove the E7, do I need to reconfigure the outputs in my media players to utilize the E9 as an amp only?

With the E7 docked, does it make a difference if I specifcally select USB Audio DAC as the output device?
Or is the E7+E9 able to act as a DAC/AMP combination on its own if I select the output on my media player as Speakers (on-board audio device)?

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #1,024 of 1,324
Hello guys,

Thinking of picking up an E9, just wondering how to integrate it into my set-up, currently I'm using a 3 channel DJ mixer to power my AKG 240 MK II's (soon to be upgraded to the K702's) I'd like to keep my mixer in my set-up as it's very useful as I have multiple audio sources that run through it, my main audio source is my PC using an x-fi that runs into channel 1 on the mixer, so where do I fit the E9 in my set-up?, I have a 'Master' and 'Booth' L&R phono output on my mixer, I was thinking that I run one of those into the E9? is that how normally people connect headphone amps to a mixer?

Cheers.

Rob.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #1,025 of 1,324
jto when you take the Fiio E7 out you gonna have to  connect the 3.5 line in into your sound card, When the E7 is in you use usb. As the E9 will only act like a usb dac amp when the E7 is in the dock when its not it becomes a non usb amp.The Logitech speakers will go to the 3.5 out which is the pre-amp out which is used for speakers that are powered and have their own amplifier in them. Which this case your logitech speakers.  The RCA out are amped and when your plug in power speakers it double amps them. The RCA out is for speakers that do not have a amp or powered.

Low rider You can put the Fiio E9 between the X-FI and the DJ mixer then use the Pre-amp out to the DJ mixer as the RCA out is amped while the Pre-amp output isnt. Then you would just plug the AKGs into the front headphone jack.

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #1,026 of 1,324

Quote:
jto when you take the Fiio E7 out you gonna have to  connect the 3.5 line in into your sound card, When the E7 is in you use usb. As the E9 will only act like a usb dac amp when the E7 is in the dock when its not it becomes a non usb amp.The Logitech speakers will go to the 3.5 out which is the pre-amp out which is used for speakers that are powered and have their own amplifier in them. Which this case your logitech speakers.  The RCA out are amped and when your plug in power speakers it double amps them. The RCA out is for speakers that do not have a amp or powered.

Low rider You can put the Fiio E9 between the X-FI and the DJ mixer then use the Pre-amp out to the DJ mixer as the RCA out is amped while the Pre-amp output isnt. Then you would just plug the AKGs into the front headphone jack.

Thanks for your input.

I'll change the connection from the speakers to the 3.5mm pre-out instead of the RCA line out.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #1,027 of 1,324
Still a bit confused as to which output I should use from the E9 when connecting to a set of desktop speakers (Logitech, powered)...

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

From what I have read in this thread, when speakers are connected via tha RCA Line Out, volume control is still retained by the speakers. This type of connection double-amps the signal.

When speakers are connected via the 3.5mm Pre_Output, volume control is shifted to the E9. In this type of connection, the E9 acts as an amplifier for the speakers.

I am still deciding whether I want to retain volume control on the speakers themselves or if I want to utilize the E9's knob as the master volume control.

My question is, which type of connection gives the cleanest sound to the speakers?

Safety concerns: Is there any danger of connecting active/powered speakers to the RCA Line Out?

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #1,028 of 1,324
Quote:
Still a bit confused as to which output I should use from the E9 when connecting to a set of desktop speakers (Logitech, powered)...

From what I have read in this thread, when speakers are connected via tha RCA Line Out, volume control is still retained by the speakers. This type of connection double-amps the signal.

When speakers are connected via the 3.5mm Pre_Output, volume control is shifted to the E9. In this type of connection, the E9 acts as an amplifier for the speakers.

I am still deciding whether I want to retain volume control on the speakers themselves or if I want to utilize the E9's knob as the master volume control.

My question is, which type of connection gives the cleanest sound to the speakers?

Safety concerns: Is there any danger of connecting active/powered speakers to the RCA Line Out?

The RCA output is line-level with no amplification. The above poster is incorrect. No double amplification is being performed using the RCA output.

Using the 3.5mm preout will double amplify, and degrade the signal quality.

There are very few reasons to preamp, such as not getting enough volume/gain from active speakers own volume control, or in the case of passive speakers that do not have their own volume control. So in almost all cases, the RCA output is the ideal connection for active speakers, which will deliver the best possible signal quality, and yes it is safe.

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #1,029 of 1,324
Quote:

The RCA output is line-level with no amplification. The above poster is incorrect. No double amplification is being performed using the RCA output.

Using the 3.5mm preout will double amplify, and degrade the signal quality.

There are very few reasons to preamp, such as not getting enough volume/gain from active speakers own volume control, or in the case of passive speakers that do not have their own volume control. So in almost all cases, the RCA output is the ideal connection for active speakers, which will deliver the best possible signal quality, and yes it is safe.

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

I currently have it connected via RCA line out and the ability to control the volume on the speakers directly is good for my needs.

Sent from my R800a using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #1,031 of 1,324
I knew one of the outputs was amp but Got the two output confused between each other.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,032 of 1,324
This was looking like a good combo, but it sounds like the E7 as a portable will be useless for my phone that only has a headphone jack and micro hdmi.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #1,033 of 1,324
i wouldn't go so far as to say the E7 is useless as a portable amp, although it definitely isn't the best choice if you need to drive some serious phones. It adds enough juice to my M50's to improve their sound noticeabley, but I tried it with HD800's....yeah no. I would think the E7 is sufficient for driving most IEM's without trouble.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #1,034 of 1,324

Quote:
I knew one of the outputs was amp but Got the two output confused between each other.

No worries!

I was scratching my head a bit when I read your post, as the outputs were labelled in such a way that I thought the RCAs were line level out and the 3.5mm OUT was pre-amplified (PRE_OUT).
Then I was wondering why you said the reverse of what I thought
tongue_smile.gif

All solved now and enjoying the E7/E9 combo a lot.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #1,035 of 1,324
I don't want to make any waves by bringing up the fact that burn in significantly improves the sound quality of the E9.

However, burn in (200 hrs) significantly improves the sound quality of the E9.  At first it was bright, muddled, bloated.  Now its smooth as silk, clean as glacial water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back