FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Mar 4, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #1,637 of 1,737
oh alright thx. i guess using them tgt would be better

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #1,638 of 1,737
I would imagine the EQ should be better as it can be tweaked more precisely (on the D2).

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #1,639 of 1,737
i heard the EQ on cowon players do nt add frequency lower den 60-70hz range significantly.So i was wondering if E5 would do the trick for 30-60 hz
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #1,640 of 1,737
The lowest band of the Wolfson chip's hardware EQ is a shelf, not a notch like the three middle bands. It affects all frequencies below 80Hz equally.

In short: it does affect 20, 40, 60Hz the same way it affects 80Hz.

Datasheet (look at page 115 ff. to see how Wolfson implements an EQ): Wolfson Microelectronics plc: WM8985

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #1,641 of 1,737
i am nt too good at this kind of thing haha. so i would jus conclude the bass roll off under 80hz on cowon players are pretty bad? dam, i am deciding what players to buy after i lost my sony S736F. love the bass on sony man..but was lookng for other alternative as i wanted a change from sony players. now i have no idea which way to go.Was eyeing the i9

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #1,642 of 1,737
To answer the guys asking about the bass boost, I personally find the E5 bass boost incredibly subtle to the point of almost being undetectable. I think it's a pretty disappointing feature but I keep it turned on because it does make some difference in making the overall sound seem "bigger," but juuuust barely. If I didn't know that it was supposed to be a bass boost effect I wouldn't know what type of EQ to call it. I'm using it on an iPod Nano 5 and for the first time have experimented with using an iPod's built-in EQ. It makes a much bigger difference than the E5 bass boost feature does.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #1,643 of 1,737
I just received my Fiio e5 and the thing wouldn't charge. The charge light would only flicker and would only work when plugged in. So of course I took it apart and poked around at the battery until it worked. But unfortunately I didn't see how the spring was attached on the clip. Can anyone tell me how to put the spring back in?

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #1,644 of 1,737
The spring is a little tricky to reinstall. It has to be semi-compressed while you hold the clip in place. It's easiest to inser the long screw part way to hold the spring in place, and then wiggle it around to lineup the screw into the next section.

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #1,645 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer the guys asking about the bass boost, I personally find the E5 bass boost incredibly subtle to the point of almost being undetectable. I think it's a pretty disappointing feature but I keep it turned on because it does make some difference in making the overall sound seem "bigger," but juuuust barely. If I didn't know that it was supposed to be a bass boost effect I wouldn't know what type of EQ to call it. I'm using it on an iPod Nano 5 and for the first time have experimented with using an iPod's built-in EQ. It makes a much bigger difference than the E5 bass boost feature does.

The bass boost in the E5 is indeed subtle, much more subtle than most people are used to. I believe this is because the bass boost in the E5 is intended as a balance for phones that are a bit on the lean side. The boost is only about 3dB and comes on gradually from the lower mid-range. The bass boost therefore works much more line a traditional tone control rather than an EQ.

Hopefully, for those with a lean sounding pair of headphones, which many IEMs qualify, the E5's bass boost provides just enough low end fill such that the listener doesn't have to enable the EQ on the playback device.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #1,646 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackRyan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass boost in the E5 is indeed subtle, much more subtle than most people are used to. I believe this is because the bass boost in the E5 is intended as a balance for phones that are a bit on the lean side. The boost is only about 3dB and comes on gradually from the lower mid-range. The bass boost therefore works much more line a traditional tone control rather than an EQ...

When I first switch on mine (about a week old) I found it to be overwhelming. It seems to be much more than 3dB at the lowest frequencies. I'm using UE11's and will listen to some test tones and subjectivity judge the amount of gain in each frequency range.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #1,648 of 1,737
I think the value of the E5 would be best realized with that combo if you use a LOD from the nano into the E5. The AKG430 are not difficult to drive phones so the E5 may not bring any overt benefits from that aspect. But the E5 through the LOD should provide you with very clean power, and the bass boost (if you use it) is of better quality than the nano's EQ. You should also see greater battery life from the nano but that's pretty secondary.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #1,649 of 1,737
Sorry, you got me lost there.
The EQ from the nano is really bad, and so is the SQ compared to a Sony nwz-A826. With the AKG this difference becomes abysmal even without the filters.

So, what is LOD? Level of Detail?

tkz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back