FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
May 20, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #1,666 of 1,737
Dear HFi's! My Fiio stopped working today and I dismantled it as i am wrting
]

the Black Battery Cable is not soldered to the pcb, where should I solder it?

please help

May 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #1,667 of 1,737
E5 is so cheap, buy it just to test it. For anyone new to headphone amps it will be a good investment.

I've always thought of E7 as a DAC with the E5 integrated. Can someone who owns E7 confirm this?

May 20, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #1,668 of 1,737
Quote:

the Black Battery Cable is not soldered to the pcb, where should I solder it?

please help

I can't be totally sure because it seems there are some hardware reversion and yours is different from mines., but you can try the soldering point next to C13 (which is in the same box as C20, just above the red wire in your picture).

Quote:

I've always thought of E7 as a DAC with the E5 integrated. Can someone who owns E7 confirm this?

Yes and no. Yes that E7 shares similar amp section design as E5; no that it is not that same as E7 uses different (and better) opamp and parts. That's why E7 amp section sounds better than E5.

May 21, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #1,670 of 1,737

Quote:
Guys, what's your take on the E5 now that it has been available for some time now?  What is the SQ like?

Well, it's the best US$20 headphone amp you can get. For the low price it is great. If you have true head-fi ambitions it might not be good, but for those of us who are satisfied with a good sound and do not chase after the ultimate portable sound it is quite nice.
I own 2 Fiio E5, one through LOD from my Sansa View and one through line out in the dongle from my Creative Zen Vision M. I also bought one E5 for my wife's Creative Zen (though headphone out). Neither of the 3 players have much bass, so the E5 gives the music a stronger lower end punch and makes the overall sound a bit more full.
If you are looking for improvement of the sound quality, I do not think that the E5 is the best choice. Well, actually my wife's Creative Zen sounds much better with the E5 than without it. But I think that says more about the current SQ of Creative players...

All in all, I would recommend the E5 if you have a DAP with a poor bass response and want a bit of extra boost. While it does not improve overall SQ, at least it does not degrade it which is good.

May 26, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #1,671 of 1,737
I just got my FiiO today, damn it looks like it would cost twice as much! Really nice looking product. Im going to write some opinions when i get the battery charged and tested with my DT-770's :)

EDIT: (BD 770DT 80ohm):
Seems like it wont do anything to the sound when using the flat EQ. (Or a very very minor change in sound maybe even a bit less bass? -> sounds a bit cleaner) Just that it gives more juice, which i already had enough of.. i usually used 5/10 of my mobile phones volume. Maybe my source (Nokia 5630 Xpressmusic) sucks, but i cant hear a difference with or without the FiiO. (320kbps MP3 though)
The bass boost .. boosts the bass and i prefer the sound with this on. It will not make the sound "muddy", but just adds more punch and increases the bass level a bit.

Offtopic:
Does anyone know if my headphones are broken? As when i listen to "very" bass-heavy music, i notice a little bit like "rattling" from my left cup.
confused.gif
This appears to be even at low volumes. Btw sometimes my sister has been using these cans as "speakers". (I love when my family uses my audio gear..) So if the left cup is broken? The crackling sounds just like what sounds a speaker with a broken voice coil. (Also this wont appear always, just sometimes..) Then i've been wondering why people call these cans 'bass monsters' as they really aren't THAT bassy.. Someone even said that their bass match a 18" subwoofer.. Not really. If my cans are broken or something?
confused_face.gif

May 27, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #1,672 of 1,737

Quote:

Thanks for the picture. Is that two opamps I see?  I wonder what opamps those are.  E5 messed up the frequency response of my RE0(other headphones too, but most noticible with RE0).  RE0 cannot be paired with a crappy opamp like E5.  I tried other phones, and to my ears it attenuates the high frequencies, and I don't like that.  Sound separation is lost too.  For that little gain, is loss in sound quality worth it?  I don't think so.

May 30, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #1,673 of 1,737
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Fiio E5 would work good with a Klipsch Image S4i? I searched but there haven't been written experiences and I wouldn't go to trouble to order them if that was the case.
Thanks!

May 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #1,674 of 1,737
hey there!
Would like to ask for some advice, from you guys!

I want a mini-portable amp, that is easy to take around, but yet gives good quality output. More so, i want it to be cheap! :D (I  do live in a perfect world hehe)

I was thinking about the Fii0 E5, but i'm not too sure. What would you guys suggest to me?

I am using an ipod touch 64gb with my Westone 2's / Sony MDR-EX500's.

I wouldn't mind if this mini-portable amp, could also be used for the PC, thus when i have my earphones/headphones connected to my Logitech Z-5500 sound system. Wouldn't mind having better quality sound/volumes coming out of that either!

Please do give me suggestions :)
As I have been looking around and i'm not sure on what to get!

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #1,675 of 1,737
I use my E5 with my Creative Zen vision M and set the slider switch in the middle position. It's not an actual position but in my case it enhances the sound dramatically compared to Bass off/ on. The equalizer is set to full bass on my Zen and it gives a wonderfull rich and wide sound with a good sounding bass. Way better than in bass on position. I use it with my Yuin PK1's.

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #1,677 of 1,737
A little digging
biggrin.gif
but it looks here is the best to ask. Is E5 any good to use with Sennheiser HD555 connected to Realtek ALC888 on board soundcard? Or is it better for me to buy a comparatively cheap not-on board sound card?

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #1,678 of 1,737

Quote:
A little digging
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="" /> but it looks here is the best to ask. Is E5 any good to use with Sennheiser HD555 connected to Realtek ALC888 on board soundcard? Or is it better for me to buy a comparatively cheap not-on board sound card?

There is no reason to amp a terrible sounding source like a Realtek onboad chip.  Sounds you have waaay more headphone than your source can take advantage of.  I would recommend a DAC/Amp combo for you w/ the DACport being the optimal solution that offersportability IMO.

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #1,679 of 1,737
Sep 15, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #1,680 of 1,737
Thanks for replies Anaxilus and Albedo. I think I will go for a seperate soundcard. However it seems a little hard to find a Auzentech X-fi Bravura around (here in Turkey) which looks like what I am actually looking for with its amp. I will try to find it from abroad sites like Ebay, if not will probably try the available ones like M-AUDIO AudioPhile 24/96 PCI, Auzen X-Plosion 7.1, ASUS XONAR DX or maybe CREATIVE AUDİGY 2ZS which is rather a cheap and older choice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back