FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Mar 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #1,653 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by DbC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I'll benefit more from a LOD than from an amp.
Any recomendations of a good and not bulky LOD?

You will benefit more from an amp if you use it with an LOD - that's the general wisdom.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #1,655 of 1,737
I got one and I'm quite happy with it on my S-Jays, made them sound a bit clearer and also powered up the low-end a bit, it made the bass a bit more present.

The equalizers on it are quite useless though, I never use them. Imo the bass booster is just fake, because it doesnt boost the bass, it just lowers the volume of the other frequenties, and the Flat EQ makes my type of music (bass-heavy) sound weird, could be working good on any other types of music though.

I also find it hard to get the EQ switch back into neutral position after its set on one of the equalizers, the switch just slides right into the other EQ instead of staying in the middle :p But you probably wont need to switch between EQs that often so its not a real problem.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #1,656 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrivs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The equalizers on it are quite useless though, I never use them.

It helps a little if you have a lean bass headphone. But since s-JAYS is pretty good at bass, I think the 3dB bass boost won't really be significant enough to make a difference.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #1,657 of 1,737
Not sure if anyone on this forum has done this yet, but I though i'd let you fellow FiiO E5 users know that I have successfully upgraded the internal burr brown amplifier from the opa2338 to the opa2365.

I must say that this has given a major improvement on audio quality. The amp sounds much more musical, and a bit more warmer and detailed than before.

Be warned that you will need some decent solder skills to perform this mod, as the chip is surface mounted, and you run the risk of tearing off some tracks when desoldering (like what happed to one of my tracks
frown.gif
)

Anyway, there will be a compromise for battery life. The fiio amp has a 20 hour battery life, so uses around 10ma of current. The opa2365 has 5ma of quiescent current per amp, whereas the 2338 has 1ma of current per amp, so the mod makes the fiio use an extra 8ma, which comes to a total of 18ma current draw. This reduces the battery life to 11.1 hours.

Anyway, I think the compromise is worth it, especially when a surface mount opa2365 can be bought for around $5AUD.

All up, the FiiO and the upgrade cost me a total of $25AUD, which I feel was money worth spending.

FYI, i use a gen 4 ipod with line out as my source (preparing to diymod it,) and koss ksc75 headphones (I dont use sennheisers or audiotechnicas as I have a full blown hifi system at home
L3000.gif
)

Anyway, gotta give credit where credit is due, and would like to thank wap32's post: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/f...7/index49.html as inspiration for this mod

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #1,659 of 1,737
No offense to the Chinese (I am 2nd gen oversea myself), but if you spend sometime in places like erji.net, the anti-local-product mentality among many is nothing short of astonishing, especially if we are talking about lower-end products here. I can understand the historical reason for the Chinese not to have faith in local manufacturers, but I think the bias is so deep that it clouds any reasoning.

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #1,660 of 1,737
The only reason i got a Fiio was so that i could use the line out from my ipod
smily_headphones1.gif
Cheapest option available. The sound improvement came mostly from the use of the LOD imo.. But in any case its a good place to start. If you find yourself too lazy to carry it about after a while, amps are prob not for you cos most other better amps are much bigger lol..

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #1,661 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't know why Fiio is so popular here....Although I am a Chinese myself,I seldom get information about Fiio products in the chinese HIFI bbs

The short answer for me is that FiiO delivers a lot of value in their products. They provide good quality, high reliability, good performance, and affordability all in the same package.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #1,663 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by vectoraya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there who know the scheme of this E5.. thx.

Not quite as simple to figure out.
Attachment 28672

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #1,664 of 1,737
Hi, sorry to come running in with a potential newb question, but I'm so close to purchasing one of these, but need to know if it'd be worth it with the following set-up:

Sansa Clip+
Ultimate Ears 700

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back