FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Feb 17, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #1,606 of 1,737
So I've just tried the E5 with my Westone 3s, Senn IE8s, and Shure SE530s with the exact same response as my work set of RE0s...wider sound stage, better controlled and deeper bass.

Quite the improvement with only $15 + an iPOD LOD!
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #1,607 of 1,737
anyone else have a problem with their E5 suddenly stop working within a month?
frown.gif

I really can't think what happened to make this happen! I didn't drop it nor run any strong signals thru it. It was working just fine while I was in school, packed it up in my bag to drive home, then when I tried turning it on again, no sound was passing thru it!

-First of all, it seems to turn on/off just fine (or so I assume, by the power light).
-To rule out dead battery, tried playing with it plugged it in, but still no good
-I swapped line out cables to rule out possible damage there
-I tried connecting my earphones directly to my source, and they're both fine too

Having ruled out everything else besides the amp itself, I started wondering if there was anything I might've done to it (but maybe didn't realize at the time). I'm really really certain I didn't drop it or let my bag hit anything, so the only thing the came to mind was possibly damaging the input jacks? I usually plug both ends of the 3.5mm cable into the E5 (input + headphone) to keep it tidy in my bag, so I wondered if I had forced it in too much and caused something to dislodge... this occurring would be really unlike me, but I figured maybe it's possible if the build quality was low. Anyways, I popped it open to see if there was anything loose or dislodged, but nothing stood out to me as so. I tested it again while everything was open, but still no go, so I just put it back together again.

/rant

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #1,608 of 1,737
and then it just hit me-- what if the amp got switched on while the headphone output was still connected to the line-in!? that can't be good... o.o;;;

5s6e.jpg

like how I kept the cable of my E5 "nice and tidy" inside my bag?
rolleyes.gif

//note to self: never do that again >.<

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #1,609 of 1,737
Are you guys using the bass boost with the RE0? I ordered one of these over 2 weeks ago from Deal Extreme and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. It took a whole week just to leave Hong Kong after they mailed it, I guess 2 weeks isn't that bad but it feels like forever! I should have just bought it from Head-Direct and paid extra, would have received it over a week ago with my RE0s.

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #1,610 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you guys using the bass boost with the RE0? I ordered one of these over 2 weeks ago from Deal Extreme and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. It took a whole week just to leave Hong Kong after they mailed it, I guess 2 weeks isn't that bad but it feels like forever! I should have just bought it from Head-Direct and paid extra, would have received it over a week ago with my RE0s.

I do prefer it with the bass boost function and RE0s. The bass boost is far from a huge boost, but just enough for the RE0s!

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #1,612 of 1,737
Received my E5 today, I was surprised with how subtle the bass boost is, but I think the sound is better with it on than off. Using it with my iPod Nano 5 and a Fiio LOD, I like it. And it's so little!

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #1,613 of 1,737
cant decide what will look better
the white or black e5...with my red cowon d2

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #1,614 of 1,737
I've always liked the combo of black and red. Suit yourself.

I just noticed that the clip on the back of my E5 is slightly crooked in relation to the body of the amp. Not too bad, probably won't be a problem but it'd be better if it was straight.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #1,615 of 1,737
I just noticed something with the bass switch on my E5. When I push the bass boost switch all the way over to the ON position it remains the same volume but with a very subtle difference in sound, but if I push the switch half way between the two extremes the volume shoots up and is much louder than either of the 2 other positions. What I can't tell is whether this middle position has the bass boost in effect or is just a louder version of the default sound. It's really hard for me to compare because of the volume jump. Has anyone experienced this? Is the louder setting the intended bass boost setting? Could the louder setting have more of a bass effect than the subtle boost gained from pushing it all the way over?

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #1,616 of 1,737
Other people have experienced the volume boost too (although I don't get that on mine).

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #1,617 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just noticed something with the bass switch on my E5. When I push the bass boost switch all the way over to the ON position it remains the same volume but with a very subtle difference in sound, but if I push the switch half way between the two extremes the volume shoots up and is much louder than either of the 2 other positions. What I can't tell is whether this middle position has the bass boost in effect or is just a louder version of the default sound. It's really hard for me to compare because of the volume jump. Has anyone experienced this? Is the louder setting the intended bass boost setting? Could the louder setting have more of a bass effect than the subtle boost gained from pushing it all the way over?

That's some kind of short or third setting. Not being advertised, I don't trust it.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #1,618 of 1,737
I get the feeling it's sort of like a glitch, still not sure if the bass boost is in effect on that setting or not though. You have to get it in juuuust the right spot to hear it so I was thinking either it's not an intentional setting or my E5 is screwed up and was only intended to have the flat default and the louder one.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #1,619 of 1,737
i had a e5 like 6 months ago, sold it because i felt the pa2v2 was better. i bought another one last week because everyone was saying how its so great now. its really not. i dont know what everyone is hearing. im using it with my clip+ and RE0s.
im sure if i use it with an LOD overall sound quality will be better, but isnt that mainly because youre not using the HO nemore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back