FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Nov 27, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #1,591 of 1,737
I'm sure this has been answered, and I apologize in advance if it has been, but I'm using Koss PortaPros with a Clip+, and wanted to know if I should get an E5 for this setup. Thanks, folks.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #1,594 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltafiore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the E5s worth it for Denon D2000s? Or what other amp would be suggested for these phones?

They surely are, in my experience I've found that they seem to have great synergy, the FiiO E5 and the Denon AH-D2000. You can find my review of the E5 in my sig (HEADPHONExperience '09), where I tested the amp and was amazed by the result with the D2000.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #1,595 of 1,737
I'm thinking about buying one of these E5 amps, a pair of RE0 buds, and a Fiio slim LOD cable for my iPod Classic and iPod Nano. Will the LOD cable cut down on hiss vs using the headphone jack? I'm guessing it would help. Also, any reason I shouldn't combine the E5 and RE0? Thanks for any feedback, the fanciest earbuds I've owned up til now were crappy JVCs that cost $40 so I'm still a noob.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #1,598 of 1,737
I've searched around for answers but haven't found any, so I figured I'd ask here:

Will my Nuforce NE-7M sound significantly better with the E3/E5? I currently do not own an mp3 player so I'm stuck using my Blackberry Curve 8900, which doesn't sound too bad, but is limited at 320kbps mp3 files.

Also, is the E5 a worthy upgrade to the E3 in terms of sound quality only?

Finally, will either amp improve sound quality from my PC via the headphone jack on my Logitech Z-2300 control unit?

I listen to a lot of bass-heavy hip hop and electronica, as well as indie rock. Clarity and deep bass are what I'm mostly looking for.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #1,599 of 1,737
How much would an e5 (or e1 in this case)improve a 2nd gen ipod touch sound quality?

Looking for improvement in bass more than anything.

Cheers.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #1,600 of 1,737
Hey guys, I just received a Fiio L1 LOD that I plan to use with my E5 which is still in the mail. I hooked up my Nano to some speakers via the L1 and to my surprise it seems to completely bypass the iPod volume control. I expected it to behave like the iPod Universal Dock where you can change the volume on the iPod and it affects the output. Is it normal for a LOD to bypass the volume like that? I've read that turning up the volume on your player can reduce hiss from an amp, but I don't see a way to change the volume on the player at all here. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francisco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought mine from Lambayrules | Headphone amplifier | Earphones - Shop Home

Arrived in 4 business days and I payed under 20 euro total.

Super quick and very friendly seller. Will probably buy a set of Soundmagics 50 soon...

Coincidence, I just received my Fiio L1 LOD from the same guy on eBay, lambayrules. Arrived from Ireland to Canada in about 6 days, great seller and cheap price.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #1,601 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it normal for a LOD to bypass the volume like that?

Yes, it is normal for a line-out to be non-adjustable.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #1,603 of 1,737
My most common usage for the E5 is as a low volume attenuator. I generally listen at very quiet levels, and turning down the volume digitally from my computer sounds awful. With my E5 I'll feed it with a lineout from my dac then turn the volume down from there; it sounds much better that way.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #1,604 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My most common usage for the E5 is as a low volume attenuator. I generally listen at very quiet levels, and turning down the volume digitally from my computer sounds awful. With my E5 I'll feed it with a lineout from my dac then turn the volume down from there; it sounds much better that way.

This is what I do too. The line out from the iPod LOD is way too loud for me to listen to directly, so I use the E5 to control the volume. Sounds great IMO.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #1,605 of 1,737
So my new FiiO E5 arrived today and paired with my RE0s, it's pretty darn impressive!

The sound staging really opened up, the bass improved (depth and control; especially with bass boost on). Much better than just out of my iPhone!

I am using an iPod LOD with it and I am totally amazed. I really found that the E3 hurt the sound, but not this one. I would rank it higher than many $65+headphone amps (PA2V2, Icon Mobile). And the size...just an amazing little thing.

I can't wait to get home and try it out with my W3/SE530/IE8s, although I'm pretty sure I'll prefer it with bass boost OFF for these three.

For $15, not bad indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back