FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Feb 20, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #1,621 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my E5 today, I was surprised with how subtle the bass boost is, but I think the sound is better with it on than off. Using it with my iPod Nano 5 and a Fiio LOD, I like it. And it's so little!

Agreed...it is very subtle, but very nice with the RE0. With the IE8/W3/SE530s, I do prefer with it off.

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #1,622 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had a e5 like 6 months ago, sold it because i felt the pa2v2 was better. i bought another one last week because everyone was saying how its so great now. its really not. i dont know what everyone is hearing. im using it with my clip+ and RE0s.
im sure if i use it with an LOD overall sound quality will be better, but isnt that mainly because youre not using the HO nemore?

I was doing some A-B testing with my friend's PA2V2 (he is 2 offices over from mine) and my E5s and we both preferred the E5 with IEMs. I used my E5s and he used his SE210s and we both came to the conclusion that the E5 had better instrumental separation, sound stage and clarity. The PA2V2 is a great portable amp for under $65, but Gary designed it primarily for full sized headphones, not IEMs.

Note that we did in fact turn the gain down to pretty much minimum on the PA2V2. But heck, we all hear differently!
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #1,623 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was doing some A-B testing with my friend's PA2V2 (he is 2 offices over from mine) and my E5s and we both preferred the E5 with IEMs. I used my E5s and he used his SE210s and we both came to the conclusion that the E5 had better instrumental separation, sound stage and clarity. The PA2V2 is a great portable amp for under $65, but Gary designed it primarily for full sized headphones, not IEMs.

Note that we did in fact turn the gain down to pretty much minimum on the PA2V2. But heck, we all hear differently!
biggrin.gif

wow. i guess ih ave to do more A/Bing. i was doing it for a couple minutes and i enjoyed the sound with or without the e5 the same. im sure youre right. i have layman ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

i really love the size and price of this sucker. i just wish, to my ears, there was more of a difference. maybe it depends on the genre? cant bequality because i have FLAC loaded on my clip+.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #1,624 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed...it is very subtle, but very nice with the RE0. With the IE8/W3/SE530s, I do prefer with it off.

The feeling I get from it is not so much a bass boost but the overall sound is "bigger." I think this might be what's referred to as the sound stage? As subtle as it is, I still prefer to have it on than off.

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #1,626 of 1,737
Please forgive me for not reading the past 108 pages of the thread. I barely have time to post this let alone read the whole thread, but I just purchased Monster's Turbine Pro Copper and love them I was looking into Nationite's S:Flo2 player and noticed the Fiio E5.

For just "better" sound w/o spending a ton, does the E5 fit the bill? Will it enhance my laptop's headphone-out? And, is it worth the $20?

Thanks,

-RC

P.S. What does it do to the IEM sound? How does it improve it? A few details welcome, especially if you've heard the Monster TPC out of an E5... Thanks again!

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #1,629 of 1,737
Come out, come out wherever you are? Did the thread suddenly quit because I posted?

You can't fool me, I know you're out there...

And sorry for the triple post, have no idea went wrong there. I've never done that in all my years of forum-posting.

... now back to the Fiio E5...

-RC

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #1,631 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by FliGuyRyan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please forgive me for not reading the past 108 pages of the thread. I barely have time to post this let alone read the whole thread, but I just purchased Monster's Turbine Pro Copper and love them I was looking into Nationite's S:Flo2 player and noticed the Fiio E5.

For just "better" sound w/o spending a ton, does the E5 fit the bill? Will it enhance my laptop's headphone-out? And, is it worth the $20?

Thanks,

-RC

P.S. What does it do to the IEM sound? How does it improve it? A few details welcome, especially if you've heard the Monster TPC out of an E5... Thanks again!

Isn't the S-Flo/Teclast FOTM hyped as the best sounding thing since the Victrola? Not sure why you think you'd need an additional amp to go with it, especially for these kinds of IEMs.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #1,632 of 1,737
dfkt,

Well, I'm not entirely sold on the S:Flo2 yet because the more and more I think about it, nearly everything is pre-synced with iPod. Cars, desktop players, bedside alarms and aftermarket everything. Plus, I just rigged up iTunes and am liking it. I just might look on eBay for a fifth gen player now that I'm running 320 bitrate instead of lossless.

As for the Fiio E5. I mainly listen to music from my laptop. So, I think it would help. The question is how much and in what way?

That's the question I propose to you experts...

-RC

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #1,633 of 1,737
may i ask if buying an E5 for the bass boost is better or jus using the cowon EQ/M3bass / Sony clear bass? which would the bass go deeper,tighter and better? thanks in advance

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #1,634 of 1,737
I don't like & don't use the bass boost on the E5. I use my D2 with a flat EQ too. Sounds fine to me.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #1,635 of 1,737
i am quite a basshead so i would like to use the bass boost
smily_headphones1.gif
so i am curious which is better. Player's EQ or E5 bassboost function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back