Fiio E18
Nov 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #677 of 2,308
I did get the e18 on Saturday - and as already discussed here it does not work with my Nexus 4 or my Nexus 5 (at least not yet ... still some rooting to do).  

Now all is not lost, for a couple of reasons - I always have the need for a yet another usb dac (with and without a headphone amp) and because it does work pretty well with the new ipad mini and the camera connection kit (cck) - sounds great and the buttons all work.  Works on my old ipad 2 and my wife's iphone 5s also.  (Just to document how it is working for me: i am using a lightning to 30 pin and a 30 pin cck to the e18 - I assume the lightning cck would be fine too) 

I'll report back if I can get it to work with a nexus 4 or 5  ... that is my objective for next weekend.  I am a little surprised that it appears to work on the LG G2 - which I would have thought would have the same limitation.

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #678 of 2,308
I did get the e18 on Saturday - and as already discussed here it does not work with my Nexus 4 or my Nexus 5 (at least not yet ... still some rooting to do).  

Now all is not lost, for a couple of reasons - I always have the need for a yet another usb dac (with and without a headphone amp) and because it does work pretty well with the new ipad mini and the camera connection kit (cck) - sounds great and the buttons all work.  Works on my old ipad 2 and my wife's iphone 5s also.  (Just to document how it is working for me: i am using a lightning to 30 pin and a 30 pin cck to the e18 - I assume the lightning cck would be fine too) 

I'll report back if I can get it to work with a nexus 4 or 5  ... that is my objective for next weekend.  I am a little surprised that it appears to work on the LG G2 - which I would have thought would have the same limitation.

Just to clarify, for the iDevices you mean you're using an LOD cable from the CCK to the E18's analog line in right? Coz using the E18 as a USB DAC for iDevices sounds like making pigs fly to us :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 19, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #679 of 2,308
Just to clarify, for the iDevices you mean you're using an LOD cable from the CCK to the E18's analog line in right? Coz using the E18 as a USB DAC for iDevices sounds like making pigs fly to us
redface.gif

All USB audio 1 compatible devices, like E18 and JDSLabs C5D will work with iOS7+ out of the box. So he is saying, USB to DAC.. not just analog! :)

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #680 of 2,308
If S4 owners feel a Hank left out now, then I wonder how we'll feel once Kit-Kat is clawing our cleverphones in the Gorilla glAss.  Though it's generally agreed that the issue isn't the S4 but Android 4.3, there's no guarantee that 4.4 will be less than DAC-aloof.

Purse nail-ly, I'll be rooting and installing a USB-audio-friendly ROM this weekend so that the 4.4. rollout doesn't catch me with my permissions down. 

Those who want to be able to continue to work with a phone that doesn't prevent them from wiping all record of custom firmware installation after restoring factory defaults should root soon if they haven't already. 

I'll be more inclined to upgrade after I see what le Chat de Chocolat does to USB audio, and after a near-stock de-KNOX'd ROM makes its way over to users.

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #681 of 2,308
  ...Though it's generally agreed that the issue isn't the S4 but Android 4.3, there's no guarantee that 4.4 will be less than DAC-aloof.

? 4.3 is the one that works with the E18...

I am a custom ROM guy, but I actually like (a couple) features in TW, which has driven me to actually stick with it. But I've had display issues (2 have gone bad) on my S4. If it happens again, I am selling the thing and moving to something else. 

That said, you just don't upgrade right away (I stuck with 4.2.2 until there was a verified way to update to 4.3 and keep root).

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #683 of 2,308
Just to clarify, for the iDevices you mean you're using an LOD cable from the CCK to the E18's analog line in right? Coz using the E18 as a USB DAC for iDevices sounds like making pigs fly to us
redface.gif

All USB audio 1 compatible devices, like E18 and JDSLabs C5D will work with iOS7+ out of the box. So he is saying, USB to DAC.. not just analog! :)

Exactly this is using as a usb dac - not analog LOD - the iPads have supported using a USB DAC for a while, and now with IO7, it works on an iPhone too (some are wondering if this is planned or if it is a "feature" that will be removed later).  USB audio class 2 is supported too.  As long as the power draw is minimal or none, there is no need for a powered hub (so E18 works well).

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #684 of 2,308
I just thought somebody would appreciate to know that the E18 works flawlessly with the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition.

By the way, I'm not getting any distortion in stack mode with the Note II yet. Will hold crossing fingers.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #685 of 2,308

? 4.3 is the one that works with the E18...

I am a custom ROM guy, but I actually like (a couple) features in TW, which has driven me to actually stick with it. But I've had display issues (2 have gone bad) on my S4. If it happens again, I am selling the thing and moving to something else. 

That said, you just don't upgrade right away (I stuck with 4.2.2 until there was a verified way to update to 4.3 and keep root).

People have been reporting issues on this very thread between the E18 and the S4.  It's said that the reason the SIII is less problematic with certain DACs (cf. the E07) than the S4 is because the latter uses 4.3, the former, 4.2.

James of FiiO talked about that in the early development stages of the E18 and there have been several threads on the subject of the S4's compatibility generally -- here, on XDA and elsewhere. 

The original Nexus 7 also handles USB audio less problematically than the Nexus 7 (2013).  Again, this is thought to be because the original was built around 4.2, but that seems suspect to me, since the whole point of buying a Nexus device is the frequency of rollouts and both models should have had 4.3 (and, lately, Kit-Kat).

Sorry to hear of your issues with the S4's display -- if you find a moment, please PM me about that.  The display is one of the best things about my S4 and the biggest reason I chose to buy that model and not the SIII when my original Galaxy S died and I could no longer wait for the S4.

I just thought somebody would appreciate to know that the E18 works flawlessly with the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition.

By the way, I'm not getting any distortion in stack mode with the Note II yet. Will hold crossing fingers.

Good news!  I've been ogling that very model.

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #686 of 2,308

Exactly this is using as a usb dac - not analog LOD - the iPads have supported using a USB DAC for a while, and now with IO7, it works on an iPhone too (some are wondering if this is planned or if it is a "feature" that will be removed later).  USB audio class 2 is supported too.  As long as the power draw is minimal or none, there is no need for a powered hub (so E18 works well).

are you sure? as I known, only iPad/iPad 2 can support USB AUDIO out with the 30pin Camera kits, and now all new iDevice changed to new lightning dock and there are not Camera Kits for lightning dock.

http://store.apple.com/us/search/camera-connection-kit#!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 20, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #687 of 2,308
Nov 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #689 of 2,308

People have been reporting issues on this very thread between the E18 and the S4.  It's said that the reason the SIII is less problematic with certain DACs (cf. the E07) than the S4 is because the latter uses 4.3, the former, 4.2.

James of FiiO talked about that in the early development stages of the E18 and there have been several threads on the subject of the S4's compatibility generally -- here, on XDA and elsewhere. 

The original Nexus 7 also handles USB audio less problematically than the Nexus 7 (2013).  Again, this is thought to be because the original was built around 4.2, but that seems suspect to me, since the whole point of buying a Nexus device is the frequency of rollouts and both models should have had 4.3 (and, lately, Kit-Kat).

Sorry to hear of your issues with the S4's display -- if you find a moment, please PM me about that.  The display is one of the best things about my S4 and the biggest reason I chose to buy that model and not the SIII when my original Galaxy S died and I could no longer wait for the S4.

4.3 might be troublesome with other devices, but I, like many other S4 owners have reported in this thread, had issues before updating to 4.3, and that update fixed those issues. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #690 of 2,308

are you sure? as I known, only iPad/iPad 2 can support USB AUDIO out with the 30pin Camera kits, and now all new iDevice changed to new lightning dock and there are not Camera Kits for lightning dock.

http://store.apple.com/us/search/camera-connection-kit#!

I can confirm that the "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter" works exactly the same my iPad Air/E07K as the Camera Connection Kit did with my iPad 3/E07K. I expect the E18 would also work. It also keeps a better connection. You can just plug it in and forget it, as opposed to the looser 30 pin dongle that would sometimes slip out when rotating the iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back