Fiio E18
Nov 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #708 of 2,308
I don't think the e18 has that circuitry. If that were true, how oes Apple or Android react to a universal?

StanD, I will try a Samsung 1a charger and report back.

I have a 2.1A Charger that I got at Bestbuy, think it's a Belkin, which works. Did you try to take the USB plug out of the E18 and plug it back in after a around 4 hours?

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #709 of 2,308
I have a 2.1A Charger that I got at Bestbuy, think it's a Belkin, which works. Did you try to take the USB plug out of the E18 and plug it back in after a around 4 hours?

I have a wall adapter Belkin that I first used to try to fully charge it with but the H(igh) just kept on blinking.

I've been charging it from full dead since 2pm today to now with my 1A Samsung charger. Should be a full charge around 6-7 hours (8-9pm -8gmt). After that, I'll try to run it continuously as a dac/amp and see what I get for run time.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #711 of 2,308
I would say yes. You'll have a better amp if not a better sounding dac. There are some phones out there with relatively good onboards but even then I'd say there's improvement to be had. Not to mention longer battery vs driving HPs from your phone.

Some headphones will scale better than others so it will be more apparent to the ones that do.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #712 of 2,308
I would say yes. You'll have a better amp if not a better sounding dac. There are some phones out there with relatively good onboards but even then I'd say there's improvement to be had. Not to mention longer battery vs driving HPs from your phone.

Some headphones will scale better than others so it will be more apparent to the ones that do.

Thanks. I ask because I'm picking between the E18 and E12. I have a Beyer DT880 250Ohm so I'm afraid the E18 doesn't have enough power. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #713 of 2,308
Works with the Moto X (Android 4.2.2 on Sprint).

Does not work on the Nexus 7s (2012 and 2013, both on Android 4.4) or the Galaxy S2 (Android 4.0.4 on Sprint).

Unfortunately we won't be getting a batch of devices in at work as I had hoped.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #715 of 2,308
I will test the 880 250pro tomorrow with it and let you know

I'll be curious as to what you find, I have an E12 and E18. I was pleasantly surprised that the E18 can drive my 300 Ohm Sennheiser HD600's, although not as loud as the E12 can, still plenty loud. It may come down to the sensitivity of your cans.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #716 of 2,308
Works with the Moto X (Android 4.2.2 on Sprint).

Does not work on the Nexus 7s (2012 and 2013, both on Android 4.4) or the Galaxy S2 (Android 4.0.4 on Sprint).

Unfortunately we won't be getting a batch of devices in at work as I had hoped.

Have you tested the E18 with galaxy S2 only with Android 4.0? Any test with Samsung galaxy s2 with Android 4.1?

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #717 of 2,308
Have you tested the E18 with galaxy S2 only with Android 4.0? Any test with Samsung galaxy s2 with Android 4.1?

The updater shows no new updates, and it's a QA testing device (belongs to my work) so it needs to stay stock. Sorry. I do have an Infuse running Avatar Rom (mix of CM and MIUI) and that didn't work either, but that's from the previous generation, IIRC.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #718 of 2,308
The updater shows no new updates, and it's a QA testing device (belongs to my work) so it needs to stay stock. Sorry. I do have an Infuse running Avatar Rom (mix of CM and MIUI) and that didn't work either, but that's from the previous generation, IIRC.

There is an official update to Android 4.1.. Samsung has release it, maybe not in US..

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #719 of 2,308

I have a wall adapter Belkin that I first used to try to fully charge it with but the H(igh) just kept on blinking.

I've been charging it from full dead since 2pm today to now with my 1A Samsung charger. Should be a full charge around 6-7 hours (8-9pm -8gmt). After that, I'll try to run it continuously as a dac/amp and see what I get for run time.

After the 7hr charge with a Samsung 1A charger, I was able to get 13 hours as a dac/amp before plugging back in. That's with it not shutting off so it wasn't completely drained, although at the last battery LED for quite some time (probably not the most accurate gauge). Looks like my belkin wall charger might not be a good port for it.

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #720 of 2,308
I will test the 880 250pro tomorrow with it and let you know

I'm listening to the DT880 now on the E18 and drives it to satisfactory levels.

Once past volume 7.5 on the pot, the volume doesn't increase. Gain on low at 7.5, the listening level is just right. If you want a little more energy, setting the the gain to Hi offers a good increase to what I would call borderline loud to hearing damaging. At vol Hi8, you can tell the amp is maxed with clipping but that's beyond safe listening levels (preserve your hearing!!). Definitely at the peak of what the amp can push, a little more headroom would be nice but to most and what it is (portable first, desktop second) it's plenty decent at normal listening levels. You're not however going to get the SQ of a better amp with separation, timbre, and soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back