Fiio E18
Nov 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #662 of 2,308
  It's a pity the e18 doesn't work with the Nexus 5. Hopefully a firmware or update allows for it. This is the only thing holding me back from picking it up.

I think this is going to be more on the Nexus 5 side. You will probably have to go the root and custom kernel route, which means waiting for development for it.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #664 of 2,308

For the life of me I cannot understand why the Neutron UI gets so much flack. LOL

I don't have any issues with it at all...so I count myself lucky, since it is a really good music player app.

Because the UI is user hostile. The recent UI improvements are welcome but fall short. Good thing that it sounds great. The parametric EQ UI is particularly nasty.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #665 of 2,308
I wanted to add that, while I was pretty disappointed with the sound out of this when paired with my RE-262s, I've been very happy since plugging my UM's in. However, they make the EMI much more noticeable, so it doesn't work as well when my phone and this guy are stacked. One step in the right direction (sound quality when they're apart from one another) and one step in the wrong direction (EMI when the devices are stacked). I am probably going to do a comparison between this, the AK10, and the upcoming Sony ZX1 to pick the one that I like the best, but I would really like to get less interference. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #666 of 2,308
Any clue if the e18 can be used just as just a dac like the e17 or is it a 24/7 dac & amp combo?

Yes it can be used as a day only, amp only, dac+amp, or as a battery charger. See fiios webpage. It lists all of this and includes pictures that show a coaxial audio out (which would simply convert digital usb to digital coax), and also has a single 3.5mm port that functions as both line in and line out, obviously only one at a time. I feel like this may have been answered before in the thread, so please try to search before asking a rather common question about a spec/feature of the product. I would search using the term "line out" and see what posts came up in the thread.

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #669 of 2,308
  I wanted to add that, while I was pretty disappointed with the sound out of this when paired with my RE-262s, I've been very happy since plugging my UM's in. However, they make the EMI much more noticeable, so it doesn't work as well when my phone and this guy are stacked. One step in the right direction (sound quality when they're apart from one another) and one step in the wrong direction (EMI when the devices are stacked). I am probably going to do a comparison between this, the AK10, and the upcoming Sony ZX1 to pick the one that I like the best, but I would really like to get less interference. 

Interesting on the EMI pickup with a more sensitive set. Have you tried sliding anything between the e18 and your phone to lessen or eliminate the EMI?

Looks like Headroom has mine to UPS and will be here on Wed from Montana.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #671 of 2,308

Interesting on the EMI pickup with a more sensitive set. Have you tried sliding anything between the e18 and your phone to lessen or eliminate the EMI?

Looks like Headroom has mine to UPS and will be here on Wed from Montana.

I've had mine for a few days. There is some EMI, Not using the phone for calls or surfing cuts out most of it. Of course the music stops when you start yacking on the phone so that's not an issue. I don't think that you get the phone call through the E18 which is cumbersome. If your phone is seeking a cell tower you will get some of it. Not stacking or turning the E18 90 degrees from the phone, keeping them aligned the long way, helps as well but neither is desirable when traveling. Otherwise I can lay them flat but not stacked. I have a Verizon Galaxy S3.
The amp is able to drive my HD600's. The E18 sounds quite nice, the EMI although not loud still sucks. Not stacking might eliminate it, the jury is still out on that. The battery life is pretty good.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #672 of 2,308
I will report once I get mine in. The FXD80-Z should pick up on this EMI if there will be any, doubt the RE400 will have it. I'll try powering DT880 Pros (250Ohm) and maybe even HE400s, which even if marketed to be efficient still likes plenty of power.

Do you guys have a protective case on your mobiles?

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #673 of 2,308
  I will report once I get mine in. The FXD80-Z should pick up on this EMI if there will be any, doubt the RE400 will have it. I'll try powering DT880 Pros (250Ohm) and maybe even HE400s, which even if marketed to be efficient still likes plenty of power.

Do you guys have a protective case on your mobiles?

Cellphone, yes. HD600's stay at home. My Bose QC15 comes with a case, Sony XBA-3 IEMs come with a case. I have vinyl bags/cases that I keep the others in, HD558 or Momentums. I stash the FiiO E12 or E18 in my computer or shoulder bag. People always wonder what the E12 or E18 are for. The rest of the collection stay at home.
I also carry a Samsung killer 9,000 mAH Lion USB battery (similar to a juice Pack) in case something runs dry on the road.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #675 of 2,308
Sorry I should clarify, the reason I ask if your mobile phone has a protective case would be to see if it can reduce the EMI. I would imagine a metallic case doing a better job. Since there is no EMI if the phone and E18 are separate, I take it's not in the signal path.

If I do get EMI, I will try foil between the phone and the protective case (Urban Armor is plastic).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back