Fiio E17k Alpen 2
May 5, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #316 of 516
Many DACs are PCM convergent, like the E17k, where they just convert DSD to another format, so if u want to hear your DSD files without conversion u should look elsewhere.

May 9, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #319 of 516
  is the DAC part of the E17k same as X3 2? Would they sound identical if used with an external amp (as DACs)?

Same question also about X3 first gen and E17.

No, E17K DAC section uses the same chip as X1 (which uses a different amp section), but the amp section uses the same chips as X3 II (which uses a different DAC chip). As far as sound signature goes, they are more or less have the same FiiO house sound that is neutral but on the warmish side. I haven't tried them as DAC only to feed to external amp - but with X1 / X3 II as a standalone DAP and E17K is connected to PC, I'll say E17K is more or less on par with X1 while X3 II sounds noticeably (but not vastly) more refined.

May 24, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #320 of 516
any ideas on this one please

attaching my E17K to a pair of JBL LSR305 active monitors

E17K Optical to PC - USB cable attached to bottom - fine - but I get interference (not the problem of the E17K)

E17K Optical to PC with E17K charged, and USB charge set to off - no interference as I've lost the electrical connection to PC - BUT - very very hollow sound - sound comes out but vocals are missing etc

just touching the USB cable to connector on E17K (without fully putting in) - sound instantly goes back to how it should be

any ideas ?

May 27, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #321 of 516
Hello I'm looking to get a portable DAC/AMP for my MacBookPro and desktop computer. I just received my Shure SE535s and I would like to give them that extra punch, since these computers have crappy onboard audio. Right now I'm torn between the E17k and the E18. I would like the device that adds a little bit more punch to the bass. I was wondering which device would you guys recommend? Thanks!

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #322 of 516
The thread seems to be quite dead for a while. Copy-pasting some initial impressions I posted on the Yamaha MT220 thread below. Original post here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged/1455#post_11791546

Yamaha HPH MT 220 and the FiiO E17K paired up

Quick First Impression:
(It may change over time, especially with how dramatically the MT 220s are changing with burn-in)

Via Laptop with i7, 1 TB Hybrid HDD (SSD Cache), 8Gb RAM, Realtek HD audio card

- Plugged in the E17K as DAC. First thought: Yes, the sound is better, but is this significant?
- Heard directly via Laptop's sound-card. Oh! Gosh! This sounds thinner. Let me get back to the E17K
- Via E17K again within 5-7 seconds! : Oh wow! Gosh! Amazing! This is a whole lot better. Clearly worth using a DAC-Amp!

Thoughts about sound based on the few minutes heard:

* Though with Gain settings on 0 too, it worked acceptably well. Most of the below is based on a gain setting of +6

* The sound is surely a lot better on the whole. Probably a wee bit worse in some aspects as well.

* I'd been sort of cribbing about the midrange not being up there, that it was not sounding full enough. With this, it really reaches where I wanted it to be. The midrange (lower midrange to upper midrange) is surely better. Fuller, like it should be. Lush.

* The bass/upper-bass which seemed to be disturbing the midrange and overshadowing it is not happening any more (remember, these are only first impressions)

* The texture of the mids too improved. Significantly.

* The transitions in the mids too sound better.

* What can possibly be considered worse is that the treble (upper?) is it being a bit less resolved. Just a little bit. Many may not even really notice it too much.

* In some cases it may even be considered a plus, as the music may feel less harsh (on tracks so recorded, or if the source/HP are such). Some may even consider this to be more more musical and welcome. I, personally would have preferred this to be more neutral. This may anyway feel sorted out with further burn-in of the HP, however the amp does appear to have some colour in this part of the sound.

* Changed the gain setting to +12 for a very short while. The midrange seemed to improve a tiny bit. A very very slight and unsure feeling of over-driven sound. The higher frequencies seemed to loose a bit in nuance (decay?) As of now, I think I'll be using it on a +6 gain setting.

* After listening to this, going back to the Laptop's sound seems unacceptable. Without the DAC-Amp, the sound is a LOT thinner and feels lacking. Did not feel so half as much before hearing via this setup.

Above Laptop comparison directly and using the E17K only as an amp (HP out of Laptop connected to IN of E17K)

* At first the supplied cable produced some distortion, as if there was a loose connection. Made sure that the connector was properly pushed in - it was. Changed cable. Tried with both cables (a fairly good one I already had and the supplied one)

* The sound was WEIRD. It was strange. Almost like some MP3 player and headphones picked up from the roadside. Okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but you may get the idea - the sound was not a little worse, it was a LOT worse than directly from the Laptop. A bit strange, as the same amp is being used when being used as a DAC as well.

* The sound stage was gone. Totally. The sound was muddy. Total lack of precision in imaging and otherwise as well.

* A wild guess - it sounded as if the left and right channel timing was not matched perfectly, as if there was an extremely small delay on one side, thereby totally messing up the sound and imaging.

* At times, it sounded less bad; surely worse, but not AS bad. Not spent enough time to track where the issue may be from.

* I wonder if there could be some issue with some kind of matching between the Realtek HD output and this Amp. More so after the experience with the Samsung Note 2 below.

Via Samsung Note 2 (International Version on Android 4.4.2)

* Tried to connect it via the supplied USB cable being routed to the phone via the OTG cable I have (it works well for sound and Mass Storage). Did not work right away. Phone hanged etc. Will come to this in later posts sometime. For now - it did not work out of the box.

* Then used the E17K only as an amp. Used both cables. No change in sound between cables.

* The sound was normal and not like how it was while using it as an amp with the Laptop.

* Louder for sure ( +6 Gain setting used). Quite balanced.

* Have not heard the MT220 much directly via the Note 2 to have a sure enough image in mind about what it sounds like.

* With the E17K, the higher frequencies were subdued. Almost like the graph on the right side going down quickly. The real high parts pretty much missing. This made the sound lose any sense of an airy feeling. I think the texture in the other frequencies was by and larger still retained.

In a nutshell:

Big improvement in mids in all ways when used as a DAC-Amp. Questionable use as an Amp only (only an initial impression).
Worth the improvement over the stock soundcard of the Laptop, with the MT220? If mids mean anything to you the answer is a thumping YES!

Thank you folks for helping me decide on this.

PS: This didn't really end up being a "quick impression"
biggrin.gif

==== Help! Anyone got it working on the Samsung Note 2 as a DAC? ====

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #324 of 516
Bro this is my first time using Foobar, I can say it is sound different compared to my PotPlayer. 

I try using the WASAPI but as written on my FiiO E17k, instead of 96k 24bits, it is going down to 48k 16bits.

And by the way, that system sound option...I just got 16bits only at 96k, no other bigger option. Any thoughts why?

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #325 of 516
Would the battery wear out if I leave the e17k permanently plugged into a powered USB hub? I am thinking of using it as a desktop dac/amp for my pc.

I think any battery have its own life cycle. No matter what it will degrade by useage. Anyway, you can turn off the usb charging so I think that one less concern regarding battery for you

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #326 of 516
  any ideas on this one please

attaching my E17K to a pair of JBL LSR305 active monitors

E17K Optical to PC - USB cable attached to bottom - fine - but I get interference (not the problem of the E17K)

E17K Optical to PC with E17K charged, and USB charge set to off - no interference as I've lost the electrical connection to PC - BUT - very very hollow sound - sound comes out but vocals are missing etc

just touching the USB cable to connector on E17K (without fully putting in) - sound instantly goes back to how it should be

any ideas ?

cable or connector problem perhaps. the optical(?) I thought it support only aux & coaxial

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #327 of 516
  I think any battery have its own life cycle. No matter what it will degrade by useage. Anyway, you can turn off the usb charging so I think that one less concern regarding battery for you

That is worse when you disable usb charging, it drains the battery on the E17k thus clocking up charge cycles. The ideal scenario would be to not charge/discharge the battery on the device which seems to be impossible based on the setting.

Oct 3, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #328 of 516
That is worse when you disable usb charging, it drains the battery on the E17k thus clocking up charge cycles. The ideal scenario would be to not charge/discharge the battery on the device which seems to be impossible based on the setting.

Well so just plug it in charging, if you believe so would increase the lifespan. Any other way perhaps FiiO can replace the battery once it dead (maybe)

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #330 of 516
  New X5 owner here.

Is there any reason to use an Alpen E17 with the X5?  Or would it be a downgrade to the sound?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, in my opinion, it may be already OK to use the X5 to drive the headphones whose impedance is low. And if the impedance of your headphones are high, the E12 may be more suitable. Just for reference. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back