Fiio E17k Alpen 2
Nov 19, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #331 of 516
Hello. I'm having trouble setting my Fiio E17k to use 96k/24bit through USB. It's plays fine with Foobar using 16Bit. I've tried it in every USB port. I'm using an Acer 7540G latop with Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (installed clean last week).

In Properties>Advanced Tab I only have 16 Bit options for Default Format.

Can someone help me?
Thanks

Quote:
  Bro this is my first time using Foobar, I can say it is sound different compared to my PotPlayer. 

I try using the WASAPI but as written on my FiiO E17k, instead of 96k 24bits, it is going down to 48k 16bits.

And by the way, that system sound option...I just got 16bits only at 96k, no other bigger option. Any thoughts why?

I've got the same problem. Did you find out what was wrong?

-EDIT-
When I click test it shows 96k 24Bit on the Fiio, even though 16 Bit is selected. Choosing 24 Bit (using WASAPI) in Foobar gives me this error though.

Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #332 of 516
The E17 said it supported up to 300ohm headphones. The E17K Alpen 2 only up to 150ohm. Are those just specs on a sheet, or did the E17 actually have sufficient power to handle 300ohm headphones and the E17K cant?

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #334 of 516
I've got the same problem. Did you find out what was wrong?

Unfortunately not yet, did you? LoL

-EDIT-
When I click test it shows 96k 24Bit on the Fiio, even though 16 Bit is selected. Choosing 24 Bit (using WASAPI) in Foobar gives me this error though.

[COLOR=0000CD]Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels[/COLOR]

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #335 of 516
Unfortunately not yet, did you? LoL

Nope. Are you on Windows 7 64 bit too? There's a thread on the Fiio forum with our problem. I bumped it. Hopefully they reply with a solution.

-Edit-
I was wrong with this below.
 When I click test it shows 96k 24Bit on the Fiio, even though 16 Bit is selected.

From here, it says the E17k will display 96k/24Bit whether it's 16Bit or 24Bit. 
confused_face.gif

I might have to install linux or windows 10 to see if I have the same problem. :frowning2:

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #336 of 516
Hi, do i need to turn on/off usb charging when battery low/full everytime if i use the e17k as desktop DAC/Amp? Is it bad for the battery to leave the usb charging on all the time? 

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #337 of 516
I'm really tempted to get one of these.

I currently have to run my headphones out of some powered speakers headphone out which is not good at all, and is my only option for vinyl. My cd player's headphone out sounds a lot better than the speakers', but is incredibly loud and with little adjustment.

Add in the fact that my laptop has mediocre on-board sound, and it seems this would improve things in almost every area.

I could run off the phono preamp for vinyl, the coaxial out on the cd player or the USB of the computer and get improvements to my home listening in one purchase.

I recently got some Blue Mo-fis to amp up my portable sources, but I could also have some fun experimenting between the amp in those running from my ipod and Xperia z3 compact, and also using the dac and amp with my phone, the amp with the line out of the ipod etc, and see how it all changes the sound.

Am I missing anything here, or does this sound feasible?

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #338 of 516
was asking if my local store (headphonebar at Vancouver) was going to have a sale on the e17k (to replace my e07k as portable dac/amp), he recommended me to wait as the new q3 will replace the e17k very early next year. any truth to this? ifso, is there any info on the q3?

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #339 of 516
If any one let me know how to play/decode DSD files with E17k. Already Download the provided resources from E17k official support page - The Package comes with PDF files with picture where those picture are in chinese language also the instruction written in English but inadequate and heavily relies on those image.

Due to my any knowledge about chinese - can't able to use the instruction.

Please experts - let me know or point out some English only Guides - How to play DSD files using E17k. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #340 of 516
  If any one let me know how to play/decode DSD files with E17k. Already Download the provided resources from E17k official support page - The Package comes with PDF files with picture where those picture are in chinese language also the instruction written in English but inadequate and heavily relies on those image.

Due to my any knowledge about chinese - can't able to use the instruction.

Please experts - let me know or point out some English only Guides - How to play DSD files using E17k. 

It is just software decoding anyway - just find a software music player that can do DSD-to-PCM conversion (i.e. foobar or Jriver) and it is pretty much the same thing.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #342 of 516
  foobar can decode dsd? I tried to play dsd with foobar but it wasn't working

Yes, it can, just need to install this add-on yourself: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_dsdiff

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #343 of 516
I'm confused about something.  I just upgraded from the old fiio e7 to the e17k.  On the e7, changing the volume on my computer (ubuntu 14.04) had no effect on the volume.  Using the e17k, it does.  The e17k is plugged in via usb to my computer.

I'm confused because I though that DAC worked irrespective of the system volume.

edit: changed e9 to e7.  

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #344 of 516
  I'm confused about something.  I just upgraded from the old fiio e9 to the e17k.  On the e9, changing the volume on my computer (ubuntu 14.04) had no effect on the volume.  Using the e17k, it does.  The e17k is plugged in via usb to my computer.

I'm confused because I though that DAC worked irrespective of the system volume.

FiiO E9 is a pure amp, the USB port on the back only serves as a pass-through if you dock a compatible USB DAC on top of E9 and it doesn't in any way interacts with E9 directly - therefore whatever system volume you set doesn't affect E9. E17K on the other hand is not a pure amp, but a USB DAC+amp, therefore it is possible to control volume on it.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #345 of 516

FiiO E9 is a pure amp, the USB port on the back only serves as a pass-through if you dock a compatible USB DAC on top of E9 and it doesn't in any way interacts with E9 directly - therefore whatever system volume you set doesn't affect E9. E17K on the other hand is not a pure amp, but a USB DAC+amp, therefore it is possible to control volume on it.

Oh, thanks for answering, but I messed up my question.  I meant e7 not e9.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back