Fiio E17k Alpen 2
Mar 8, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #302 of 516
Hi if I only use the dac section on the E17K can I use the trouble bass and mids function.

No, if you are using the line-out, the you won't get any of the EQ, or the balance setting. They only apply to the headphone-out.

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #303 of 516
Just got the E17K. Went to Fiio's site just to see if there's anything new under the support page and notice that there's a driver package available for download. In the zip file is 3 folders. Foobar2000 & pluggins, DSD ASIO Driver, E17K ASIO Driver. I read through the manual and there's no mention of these driver. Can someone tell me what they are for? In fact the Manual on the site is only a single page that just cover the basic function. Is there a more detail manual or user guide available?

found the E17 installation guide in the Fiio section but it's quite out of date and there don't seem to be one for the E17K. Is it basically the same and is there an order you need to follow to install the drive?

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #304 of 516
  Just got the E17K. Went to Fiio's site just to see if there's anything new under the support page and notice that there's a driver package available for download. In the zip file is 3 folders. Foobar2000 & pluggins, DSD ASIO Driver, E17K ASIO Driver. I read through the manual and there's no mention of these driver. Can someone tell me what they are for? In fact the Manual on the site is only a single page that just cover the basic function. Is there a more detail manual or user guide available?

found the E17 installation guide in the Fiio section but it's quite out of date and there don't seem to be one for the E17K. Is it basically the same and is there an order you need to follow to install the drive?

E17 and E17K use different hardware, therefore the E17 installation guide is not suitable for E17K.

In any case, that driver is only useful if you want to setup foobar to play DSD on E17k. If you have no interest in DSD playback in foobar, you don't need to install them. Windows should already install the common driver for you when you plug in your E17k and you don't need any extra driver for normal audio playback.

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #306 of 516
Hi guys, am newbe in this Amp/Dac world. Little help to clear my mind!

I have heard from many Headfier that for HeadAmp paired with X1( eventualy X3II) and using my W4r, that FiiO E12A is a big winner in this dept! Am now more likely attracted toward a USB/Dac/Amp.

Which are the winner in that game (FiiO brand only) Am looking to purchace the best for my rig. I dont want to big, I dont want to small either. "It will not be using with a Smartphone either!"

Thanks!

:D

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #307 of 516
I am getting
E17 for 103 USD
E17K for 141 USD
Also E07K for 88USD

I think E17 at this price is great but it's pretty old model now and for me it has few issues like you have carry a not so common USB Mini cable to connect it to PC... on the other had E17K is new hardware (I like the design much more) but it might need some to iron out all the hardware issue and software bugs etc as it's launch just now.

So I am confused...

Which is better to buy?
Is E17K substancially better in terms of sound quality?

If I buy the older model E17 is there any implication in terms of future compatibility etc?

Could anyone help me to decide?

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #310 of 516
  I have a quick Question Guys, the Bass and Treble EQ affect the signal after Digital-to-Analog conversion or before conversion ?

the EQ is Analog or digital ?

EQ is analog, controlled via a dedicated chip after the DAC stage.

May 1, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #312 of 516
  I am getting
E17 for 103 USD
E17K for 141 USD
Also E07K for 88USD

I think E17 at this price is great but it's pretty old model now and for me it has few issues like you have carry a not so common USB Mini cable to connect it to PC... on the other had E17K is new hardware (I like the design much more) but it might need some to iron out all the hardware issue and software bugs etc as it's launch just now.

So I am confused...

Which is better to buy?
Is E17K substancially better in terms of sound quality?

If I buy the older model E17 is there any implication in terms of future compatibility etc?

Could anyone help me to decide?

I had the e07k, and jsut got the e17k. The e17k is far better, though not as warm sounding. Better extension and imaging, just as exciting, bigger soundstage and more transparent.

May 4, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #314 of 516
  Does the DAC contain a DSD DAC chip? Is it true DSD decoding or does it convert to PCM? Can the DSD files be played with the DAC with Mac OS?

No, the DAC chip itself doesn't have native DSD decoding, but the USB receiver chip supports DSD-to-PCM conversion via its driver. Dunno about Mac though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back