FiiO E17 vs Hifiman EF2A vs ODA+ODAC
Apr 24, 2012 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bjgrenke

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm looking for an amp for my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohms. I'm willing to spend around $200 max. Which is the best out of the 3 listed in the title? I listen to mostly Trance and Electronic music.

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 11
Well, the odac stuff is still preorder so I wouldn't consider that yet until it's been out for a bit with some reviews. I think that the HFM is pretty decent but I went down the tube road and it wasn't really for me. Takes time to warm up...runs somewhat hot ect. I really like the e17 though. It's a good upgrade from the e10 that I just sold today. 

Got it on ebay for $139 with free shipping. It's my vote.

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 11
I'd only get the o2 and dac if the price and reviews are good. I never realized that the tube amps had to warm up.. I read a review on here on the HFM and it sounds like a great amp. I've been hearing that the E17 is much worse than the ODA in the performance per dollar department, but then again the E17 is a DAC as well. I've never seen a tube amp with DAC before so the HFM stands out for me.

BTW would I be able to use a cable like this with the HFM to play from my phone?

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 11
Looks like the o2 w/dac is going to be about $250. That over $100 more than the e17 which has been in circulation for a bit and gets good reviews. Like I said I owned a tube amp...Little Dot. Solid state is the way to go IMO. Maybe someone who has owned the HFM is willing to chime in.

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Looks like the o2 w/dac is going to be about $250. That over $100 more than the e17 which has been in circulation for a bit and gets good reviews. Like I said I owned a tube amp...Little Dot. Solid state is the way to go IMO. Maybe someone who has owned the HFM is willing to chime in.

Yikes, a little more than I'd spend for an amp. I guess it's the E17 or the EF2. AFAIK the EF2 will sound better but I'm not sure if it'll be worth going tube for. Hopefully someone will 
redface.gif

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 11
If you're not in a hurry, the O2/ODAC combination in not bad for the price. The performance is worth more in my opinion.
If portability is an issue, then Fiio is your only option.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
If you're not in a hurry, the O2/ODAC combination in not bad for the price. The performance is worth more in my opinion.
If portability is an issue, then Fiio is your only option.

Portability is pretty important, but how much of a downgrade is the E17 vs the O2 Combo in terms of sound q?

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 11
You can take a look here: http://www.inearmatters.net/2012/01/impression-fiio-e17-alpen.html
Acc. to this guy, the O2 is better, so is iBasso T5, but they cost more. You can take a look at both of these to see if they fit your portability factor. 
Fiio is basically reasonable performance for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back