fiio e17 speculations?
Jan 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #335 of 352
Anyone else have an e9 with an empty dock waiting for the e17 to show up on Amazon?  I sure as hell do *tick-tock* 
basshead.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #339 of 352
Question: Need to hook up my HDTV from optical out to DAC to self powered speakers,  Would the FiiO E17 do the job?  Would I notice a difference between it and a much cheaper DAC in terms of sound quality?

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #340 of 352
Quote:
Question: Need to hook up my HDTV from optical out to DAC to self powered speakers,  Would the FiiO E17 do the job?  Would I notice a difference between it and a much cheaper DAC in terms of sound quality?

I would have to test that sometime when I'm at my E17 and get back with you. Based on what I recall about it that should work without any accessories. The sound from the E17 is very good for the price. To my knowledge there isn't anything in it's general SQ range for that price.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #341 of 352
Quote:

I would consider the D3 (if you want a Wolfson chip), the D03k Taishan and the D07 (if you'll ever need a Dolby/DTS-compatible DAC) as well. You can power it with one of your TV's USB ports (if it has any) so it would basically power on with your TV. :)

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #342 of 352
I would consider the D3 (if you want a Wolfson chip), the D03k Taishan and the D07 (if you'll ever need a Dolby/DTS-compatible DAC) as well. You can power it with one of your TV's USB ports (if it has any) so it would basically power on with your TV. :)

I have the DO3 Taishan hooked up to my tv and in addition, use the e17 as an amp. It gives plenty of volume to my dt 770/80's for netflix and gaming.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #343 of 352
Well, Ishrogh said he owns a pair of "self-powered" speakers (I think he meant active speakers) so he would just need a DAC. For ~30 (D03k/D3) or ~50 bucks (D07) I think they are worth mentioning. :wink:

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #344 of 352
Quote:

I did the tests. I'm not sure if my E17 has an issue, but the toslink input using the supplied adapter didn't work with signals from my blu ray player. It worked fine on my receiver, so I'm not sure what the issue is. It might not have been able to use the mix supplied from the disc I used, or the spdif in on the e17 just doesn't work. I primarily use it as a pc dac through usb which works fine, so I don't really care enough to look into it further.

Others brought up the point that a standalone dac may be all you need if you don't need an amp as well. I can definitely say that the sound from the E17 - when it works - is well worth the money. It's a very versatile unit as well.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #345 of 352
Make sure you ain't playing any music / sound on the Blu-ray player that is not stereo. E17 only decodes stereo. It won't do Dolby or 5.1 surround sound stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back