fiio e17 speculations?
Dec 29, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #226 of 352

Quote:
One thing I'm curious about with the E17 is battery life. We're seeing an overall upgrade to the E7 which has great battery life. I haven't read anything about the size of the battery going into the new E17 and I'm wondering if we should expect a shorter time between trips to the plug.

..that's a good question. with 2 DAC's and 2 amps . that's sure to take up much more power. The DAC's wion't be used both at once..but weather it is in an off or power saving state or anything is still a mystery.  and then add in the fact that the amp is more powerful than the E7's (115mW @32Ohms for the E7 and 200mW @ 32Ohms for the E17) ...in the same sized body. i'm gonna guess a hit. 75% of the E7's? what if they introduced a new battery? Smaller and better? >_<

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #227 of 352
Well from what I understand the E7 is sporting a 1050mAh which is actually pretty impressive for its size and price. There are a few smartphones out there today with smaller batteries than that. And I know Chung mentioned that they were doing their best to keep the form small for portability by using buttons instead of a pot and such. So I'm really interested to know if we can expect the same 1050mAh in the new E17 or if they're going to sacrifice a little bit of the compact goal in order to negotiate a battery life that can match the less power hungry E7.

And if they've managed to get all the internals in the E17 running at the same power consumption of the E7 then they're not engineers, they're wizards.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #228 of 352

Quote:
Well from what I understand the E7 is sporting a 1050mAh which is actually pretty impressive for its size and price. There are a few smartphones out there today with smaller batteries than that. And I know Chung mentioned that they were doing their best to keep the form small for portability by using buttons instead of a pot and such. So I'm really interested to know if we can expect the same 1050mAh in the new E17 or if they're going to sacrifice a little bit of the compact goal in order to negotiate a battery life that can match the less power hungry E7.

And if they've managed to get all the internals in the E17 running at the same power consumption of the E7 then they're not engineers, they're wizards.

if they can get it to use the same battery. i will bow my head. and like you said. same battery and power consumption. We got some wizards there.

2 DAC's and not knowing if the not used one will be in a sleep state or off state. and then with two amps(pre and power) outputting 200mW...almost double what the E7 could pull..wow.. We would indeed have some wizards in here...heck they are almost wizards already. I can already feel the E17 in my hands. im not that well versed in sound science yet
http://www.analog.com/en/all-operational-amplifiers-op-amps/operational-amplifiers-op-amps/ad8397/products/product.html
http://www.analog.com/en/all-operational-amplifiers-op-amps/operational-amplifiers-op-amps/ad8692/products/product.html
but wow..look at this. the AD8397 has two op amps and then the AD8692 seems to be an main amp. probably what clieos meant by
"AD8692 and AD8397 in a pre- + power-amp setup."
and then the WM8740 and then an unknown woflfson being able to output 24/192..
Edit:hmm..it seems the WM8740 supports a max sample of 192KHz....why another one..don't get. whatever has two wolfsons

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #230 of 352

Quote:
The good news is that we won't have to wait (hopefully) too long before we get to hear ClieOS's first impressions. I'm really looking forward to the writeup.

haha yeah me too. the amping and DAC's really baffle me. both the two amps seem to have 2 operational amplifiers or units in them each :/ ???? and then the WM8740 already supports up to 192KHz....?

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #231 of 352

Quote:
..that's a good question. with 2 DAC's and 2 amps . that's sure to take up much more power. The DAC's wion't be used both at once..but weather it is in an off or power saving state or anything is still a mystery.  and then add in the fact that the amp is more powerful than the E7's (115mW @32Ohms for the E7 and 200mW @ 32Ohms for the E17) ...in the same sized body. i'm gonna guess a hit. 75% of the E7's? what if they introduced a new battery? Smaller and better? >_<

There is only one DAC (WM8740) inside, the other Wolfson chip is a SPDIF transcoder as WM8740 doesn't handle SPDIF by itself.

Quote:
The good news is that we won't have to wait (hopefully) too long before we get to hear ClieOS's first impressions. I'm really looking forward to the writeup.

Due to holidays, the E17 shipment has been delayed. Should be here tomorrow though and I'll post an impression once I have a listen.

Quote:
haha yeah me too. the amping and DAC's really baffle me. both the two amps seem to have 2 operational amplifiers or units in them each :/ ???? and then the WM8740 already supports up to 192KHz....?

Most opamp has two internal opamps on one chip (a stereo / dual opamp) as one handles right channel while the other handles left channel. Some opamp only has one circuit as they are for mono channels. You can use two mono opamp to create a stereo circuit and usually you will have better stereo separation (*less crosstalk) than using a dual opamp. The downside is that it will take more space.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #232 of 352

Quote:
There is only one DAC (WM8740) inside, the other Wolfson chip is a SPDIF transcoder as WM8740 doesn't handle SPDIF by itself.

Due to holidays, the E17 shipment has been delayed. Should be here tomorrow though and I'll post an impression once I have a listen.

Most opamp has two internal opamps on one chip (a stereo / dual opamp) as one handles right channel while the other handles left channel. Some opamp only has one circuit as they are for mono channels. You can use two mono opamp to create a stereo circuit and usually you will have better stereo separation (*less crosstalk) than using a dual opamp. The downside is that it will take more space.

ok thanks for the information. so can you explain it if possible in almost layman's terms the use of the two amps in the pre+- power amp setup? is it that one of the amps is used as a pre amp while the other is the actual full blown amp?

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #233 of 352

Quote:
ok thanks for the information. so can you explain it if possible in almost layman's terms the use of the two amps in the pre+- power amp setup? is it that one of the amps is used as a pre amp while the other is the actual full blown amp?

The way FiiO has the pre / power opamp setup is a little similar to speaker amp. So one opamp is the preamp while the other is the power amp. Preamp is to amplify the signal to a higher level (voltage wise) while the power amp provide the current needed to drive headphone. This is how FiiO tends to like to design their amp circuit and similar concept (though different opamps) is also used on E5, E6 and E7.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #234 of 352

Quote:
The way FiiO has the pre / power opamp setup is a little similar to speaker amp. So one opamp is the preamp while the other is the power amp. Preamp is to amplify the signal to a higher level (voltage wise) while the power amp provide the current needed to drive headphone. This is how FiiO tends to like to design their amp circuit and similar concept (though different opamps) is also used on E5, E6 and E7.

ok that's kinda what i thought it did. Thank  you ClieOS! :) I am looking forward to your review. im sure thousands that have seen this page are also waiting :)

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #235 of 352
When we release E9, some users complained that they can not use the bass boost of E7 when E7 dock into E9, because E9 use the line out signal from E7.

So we add a switch this time, so everyone will be happy because they can select what kinds of signal from E7 when they dock into the E9.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #236 of 352
new pics :)
http://www.hifitogo.com/nl/blog/fiio-e17-komt-er-aan/

The website roughly says:
FiiO is revealed and the E17 is coming! Early next year, you have it. The E17 is an improved version of the E7, with a stronger and better amplifier and the icing on the cake are able to receive a digital signal to an optical or coaxial connection. Both the E7 and theE11 have now built a large fan base, the E17 will certainly be no different.

Unlike the E7 to E17 also received 96/24 via USB, the EQ is further expanded, while the more powerful amplifier. Very promising!

Besides all the technical updates FiiO has also invented a new name. From the Alps E17 (officially known as the E17), all new ampsby the name of a famous mountain range. I wonder what else they go out of their hat-making in 2012!

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #237 of 352
For those that were curious, it looks like a big hit on the battery life... from 80 hours on E7 down to 15 on Alpen.  A fair price to pay for all they crammed into a device 3mm thinner than the E7, I should think!  Just ordered and overnighted the E9 to myself so I'll have a nice place to set it when Alpen finally hits the shelves!

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #238 of 352

Quote:
For those that were curious, it looks like a big hit on the battery life... from 80 hours on E7 down to 15 on Alpen.  A fair price to pay for all they crammed into a device 3mm thinner than the E7, I should think!  Just ordered and overnighted the E9 to myself so I'll have a nice place to set it when Alpen finally hits the shelves!

I will think so. There isn't another portable headphone amp in the same price range right now that can do half the stuff built into E17 / Alpen. In fact, I don't think you can find one even if you double the price range. It would have been even better if X3 was able to make it to market and we will have some killer combo there.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #239 of 352

Quote:
I will think so. There isn't another portable headphone amp in the same price range right now that can do half the stuff built into E17 / Alpen. In fact, I don't think you can find one even if you double the price range. It would have been even better if X3 was able to make it to market and we will have some killer combo there.

That's why I buy FiiO :) X3 is the Portable media player with the good dac and amp inside right?

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #240 of 352

Quote:

That's why I buy FiiO :) X3 is the Portable media player with the good dac and amp inside right?

Was. It is no longer in development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back