FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Oct 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #6,182 of 6,777
I have the 5.5gen ipod video and I was wondering if it would be worth getting the L9 cable for use with the e17 or if I should just stick to the stock 3.5mm cable the e17 comes with.

I'd actually recommend the L11 instead. It's bulkier overall but you can at least change the cables when they die. My L9 did not last a week and a half but I think it was an isolated case.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #6,184 of 6,777
I actually went ahead and just got the L3 cable. Loving the E17 so far.

I bought the L11, but it seems its taking its time to get here.

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #6,186 of 6,777
Hello everyone,

I received my E17 today and I had a question.

I won't be using the device alot while I'm traveling so most times it will be on my desk.
So can I leave my E17 always plugged in, in the USB?

Thanks

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #6,187 of 6,777
I know the feeling. It took my E17 a month to get to me.

I bought my E17 when I was in the UK, so I got it for xmas.
My E12 Mont Blanc (now returned) took a day to get to me. You just need to find the right websites.
Hello everyone,

I received my E17 today and I had a question.

I won't be using the device alot while I'm traveling so most times it will be on my desk.
So can I leave my E17 always plugged in, in the USB?

Thanks

You probably could, but after full charge there's no need to have it charging more. This could create unnecessary heat, and as the amp is made out of metal, over a long period of time (talking weeks on end on usb charge) could destroy the amp.

To play it safe, I'd use the amp when I'd need it, if I were you.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #6,188 of 6,777
Leaving it plugged in does not mean it would be charging all the time, especially if it was plugged into the computer.
Assuming the computer is off when you're on your trips and also assuming you did not plug it into a USB port that is on regardless of your computer being shut off or not.
In either case, the E17 still has function to control USB charging and it would probably be ideal to disengage that function when you go off for trips.

Generally speaking, while using the E17 as DAC/AMP with USB as source input, the E17 will take most of the power draw directly from the computer so you can reach way more run time than when you rely solely on the battery (i.e. while using the E17 on the go, or using it without USB cables plugged with COAX/AUX/OPT as source input). Unless you are gone for months on end, for which case there isn't much you can do, this would be the best thing to do. Once you get back you can turn on the USB charging function for the day and turn it off again when the battery is recharged.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #6,190 of 6,777
Hello guys,

Thanks for the replies.
I will rarely use the device while I'm on the road so I think 99% of the time it will be connected to my pc by USB. I haven't been able to use my toslink cable but I'm gonna guess it gives no power to recharge the device. If it has proper power management I can probably leave the cable connected since the usb power shuts down when I shutdown my computer.

Also does the device automaticly shutdown if it has no source after x minutes or do I have to shut it down manually?

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #6,191 of 6,777
  Hello guys,

Thanks for the replies.
I will rarely use the device while I'm on the road so I think 99% of the time it will be connected to my pc by USB. I haven't been able to use my toslink cable but I'm gonna guess it gives no power to recharge the device. If it has proper power management I can probably leave the cable connected since the usb power shuts down when I shutdown my computer.

Also does the device automaticly shutdown if it has no source after x minutes or do I have to shut it down manually?

The E17 doesn't have an idle timeout setting - you will have to shut it down manually.

Dale

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #6,192 of 6,777
Hello guys,

Thanks for the replies.

The E17 has a sleep setting - it shuts off after x amount of minutes if you tell it to.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #6,193 of 6,777
The E17 has a sleep setting - it shuts off after x amount of minutes if you tell it to.

Yeah I noticed that but it seems you need to manually select the amount of minutes every time.

The E17 doesn't have an idle timeout setting - you will have to shut it down manually.

Dale

Ok thanks. Not a big hassle tho.

After a day of use I'm fairly happy with the device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back