FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Aug 31, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #6,106 of 6,777
Quote:
Different port and different USB cable as well? I think someone else here went and removed it from the device manager while it was connected and then rebooted so it would get reinstalled.

Do you have another computer to try it on or a friend's computer. That way you will know if it is the E17 or your box.

Tried all ports and a different USB cable with no luck. I could try it on my laptop but I have a lot of important work to do on my main computer. Don't think I can.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #6,107 of 6,777
Good luck then, hope you figure out the problem, someone else will probably chime in with the fix before too long.
:beerchug:

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #6,112 of 6,777
I noticed that when I left USB charge ON while using the E17 I would get weird crackling sounds and glitches. Turning it OFF eliminated those problems.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #6,113 of 6,777
So I tried something and changed my sample rates to only 48.0 kHz and and made the default format 2 channel, 24 bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality). Before it was with 96 kHz on both. I haven't had the static problem all day.

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #6,115 of 6,777
You really need to try the E17 on another computer to eliminate one or the other. :)

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #6,116 of 6,777
Again, I have stuff to do on my main computer so I don't have time to play random videos and songs on my laptop until it happens which may take at least a day. I'm thinking of just buying a desktop dac/amp that won't get easily pulled around with my headphone cord and has a knob since buttons can be time consuming. I f it happens with that one, I'll know it's my computer.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #6,117 of 6,777
I just recently had an issue where my E17 just suddenly stopped working in Windows 7. No matter which USB port I plugged it into, the device wouldn't show up in device manager nor would Windows make any mention of the device. I ended up just using the aux input on it which led to the battery dying one night. The next morning I plugged it in and Windows picked it up immediately. Before this however, I also re-installed the Fiio driver so I'm not sure if it was the E17 or Windows at fault. I even tried a different USB cable and other ports and that did nothing.

Other than that little hiccup, my E17 has been working great since I got it. Normally the screen is too bright to leave on at night since my computer is in my bedroom so I flip the hold switch as much as possible, or even turn it off since the blue LED is sometimes too bright. This summer however, my computer wasn't in my room so I got lazy about flipping the switch/turning it off. Now I have a slight ghosting on the screen that is sometimes visible when you are on something other than USB and a volume of 28. So be sure to flip that switch whenever possible.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #6,119 of 6,777
Anyone using this with a tv? I have a vizio and was thinking of using the optical out to this then using headphones and disabling the tv speaker... that would work right?

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #6,120 of 6,777
Anyone using this with a tv? I have a vizio and was thinking of using the optical out to this then using headphones and disabling the tv speaker... that would work right?

Yup it works (or should).
The only TV I got at home is decently old so there's no such thing as optical out but I do optical out from my PS3 without problems. Someone else did has problems though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back